Old 10-25-2008, 05:26 PM
Reid Priedhorsky

Default Alternatives to Google Groups?

Dear all,

[Slightly OT, I know, but this list contains many technically savvy people
who are able to answer well...]

I run a mailing list which is currently hosted by Google Groups. We've
been having ongoing problems with reliability (i.e., messages make it to
the web interface but not all e-mail subscribers).

Do any of you have suggestions for an alternative?

Here are the requirements.

1. E-mail list, gatewayed bi-directionally to a
2. Web forum
3. Easy for unsophisticated users to use.
4. Subscriber count of a few hundred.
5. Dozens of e-mails per day.
6. Public archives obscure e-mail addresses.

Ideally, it would be something that we could host ourselves. I know that
Yahoo and MSN both offer free e-mail lists with web fora, but then we're
still dependent on someone else's free service.

We do have a Postgres database with a user/password table and the
expertise to hook something into this. However, it would be nice if people
who do not have an account could participate in the list.

(For example, Mailman does not meet the requirements because there's no
web forum and it's too hard to use.)

We're not adverse to paying for a solution if it's not too expensive.

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Thanks,

Reid

Old 10-26-2008, 05:48 AM
Doug Mitton

Reid Priedhorsky <reid@reidster.net> wrote:

[...]

Have you looked into Majordomo?

I host a couple of web sites and the hosting company offers a "full"
majordomo installation. This offers:

- email / config
- digest
- web interface / config

Your "3. Easy for unsophisticated users to use." requirement is open to
interpretation.

I thought I'd throw in this suggestion and see what the rest of the
contributors have to comment.

Good luck!

PS. I think Majordomo would be difficult to host yourself on a consumer
grade ISP connection BUT should be perfect on an entry to mid level hosted
domain.

One site I host on http://venturehosting.com/ has a very limited majordomo
but another site on http://www.diywebhosting.ca seems to be very full
featured.

Old 10-26-2008, 01:48 PM
Doug Mitton

In-Reply-To=<pan.2008.10.25.17.26.54.120773@reidster.net>

[Sorry, this is a second attempt, the first seems to have disappeared into
the ether.]

Old 11-05-2008, 03:14 PM
Miles Fidelman

I've had a lot of good luck w/ Sympa (www.sympa.org) though I'm not sure
it's as easy as google groups.

There's a package called groupserver
(http://groupserver.org/groupserver) that's exactly what you're looking
for (except possibly the "obscure e-mail addresses" requirement - it
might, but I'm not sure). It's still somewhat young, and there are not
a lot a large user base (it's open source, but they also seem to be
focusing on their hosted version) - but every time I go hunting, that's
the one I end up looking at.

If you play with it, I'd be interested in your experiences.

Miles Fidelman

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:

[...]

In practice, there is. .... Yogi Berra