FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-25-2008, 08:40 PM
JoeHill
 
Default mail and web start in offline mode

Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:14:12 -0400
> JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com> wrote:
>
> Hello JoeHill,
>
> > When I start either my mail client, Claws, or Firefox web browser,
> > they are in offline mode.
>
> I can't speak for FF, as I don't know it that well. When it comes to CM
> though, it doesn't matter what state your system is in, CM (should)
> honour whatever state you tell it to be in. With CM shut down, edit
> clawsrc (usually in ~/.claws-mail/ and make sure the following exists;
>
> work_offline=0
>
> Restart CM, and you ought to be in online mode.

I checked and work_offline is already set to 0. That's good to know because
now I'm really sure this is something in either a system setting or something
left over from a Gnome setting? Ack.

--
Joe


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-26-2008, 05:49 AM
Brad Rogers
 
Default mail and web start in offline mode

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:40:49 -0400
JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com> wrote:

Hello JoeHill,

> I checked and work_offline is already set to 0. That's good to know
> because now I'm really sure this is something in either a system
> setting or something left over from a Gnome setting? Ack.

Sorry, no idea; I don't use Gnome, and never have. So can't even
hazard a guess at what sort of interactions there are between Gnome & CM.

Can you actually set CM to online mode at all? Either by <Ctrl>W of by
clicking on the plug/skt icon at bottom right of CMs window.

Also, may I suggest you ask on the Claws mailing list, since there are
people far more knowledgeable, WRT CM, than me hanging out there.
(Translation = plenty of dev team members)

You can subscribe by emailing claws-mail-users-subscribe@dotsrc.org

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

It's your life so go your own way
Questions And Answers - Sham 69
 
Old 10-26-2008, 07:06 AM
Nyizsnyik Ferenc
 
Default mail and web start in offline mode

On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:14:12 -0400
JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com> wrote:

>
> When I start either my mail client, Claws, or Firefox web browser,
> they are in offline mode.
>
> I'm thinking this is not a setting in either of those apps, since I
> cannot get Firefox to change even by setting 'online' to 'true' in
> about:config, and I'm looking for where this setting might be in
> either a system or desktop config, but I cannot find anything that
> relates to this in networking properties or in the settings for XFCE.
>
> Any ideas where I can look for something like this?
>

Just an idea: have you got (or ever had) a dial-up internet connection
for which you had set 'Do not connect automatically'? Programs seem to
honour this setting.

--
Nyizsa.
http://nyizsa.uni.cc


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Thilo Six
 
Default mail and web start in offline mode

JoeHill wrote the following on 25.10.2008 22:14

> When I start either my mail client, Claws, or Firefox web browser, they are in
> offline mode.
>
> I'm thinking this is not a setting in either of those apps, since I cannot get
> Firefox to change even by setting 'online' to 'true' in about:config, and I'm
> looking for where this setting might be in either a system or desktop config,
> but I cannot find anything that relates to this in networking properties or in
> the settings for XFCE.
>
> Any ideas where I can look for something like this?

You probably have 'network-manager' installed.
e.g. if you have your connection setup via dhcp in '/etc/network/interfaces'
then the above described will happen (at least here it has).

If you don't rely on the functionality of 'network-manager' you can then just
purge it.

--
bye Thilo

key: 0x4A411E09


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-26-2008, 01:43 PM
JoeHill
 
Default mail and web start in offline mode

Brad Rogers wrote:

> On Sat, 25 Oct 2008 16:40:49 -0400
> JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com> wrote:
>
> Hello JoeHill,
>
> > I checked and work_offline is already set to 0. That's good to know
> > because now I'm really sure this is something in either a system
> > setting or something left over from a Gnome setting? Ack.
>
> Sorry, no idea; I don't use Gnome, and never have. So can't even
> hazard a guess at what sort of interactions there are between Gnome & CM.
>
> Can you actually set CM to online mode at all? Either by <Ctrl>W of by
> clicking on the plug/skt icon at bottom right of CMs window.

Oh yeah, once it starts, I can switch to online mode. It's just so totally
annoying

> Also, may I suggest you ask on the Claws mailing list, since there are
> people far more knowledgeable, WRT CM, than me hanging out there.
> (Translation = plenty of dev team members)
>
> You can subscribe by emailing claws-mail-users-subscribe@dotsrc.org

Pretty sure at this point it's not Claws, it's probably just following some
other setting somewhere.

Thanks!

--
Joe


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-26-2008, 01:46 PM
JoeHill
 
Default mail and web start in offline mode

Thilo Six wrote:

> JoeHill wrote the following on 25.10.2008 22:14
>
> > When I start either my mail client, Claws, or Firefox web browser, they are
> > in offline mode.
> >
> > I'm thinking this is not a setting in either of those apps, since I cannot
> > get Firefox to change even by setting 'online' to 'true' in about:config,
> > and I'm looking for where this setting might be in either a system or
> > desktop config, but I cannot find anything that relates to this in
> > networking properties or in the settings for XFCE.
> >
> > Any ideas where I can look for something like this?
>
> You probably have 'network-manager' installed.
> e.g. if you have your connection setup via dhcp in '/etc/network/interfaces'
> then the above described will happen (at least here it has).
>
> If you don't rely on the functionality of 'network-manager' you can then just
> purge it.

Oh, sweet. That did it!

Thanks so much, I was starting to get a little...frustrated.

--
Joe


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-26-2008, 02:20 PM
Brad Rogers
 
Default mail and web start in offline mode

On Sun, 26 Oct 2008 10:43:56 -0400
JoeHill <joehill@teksavvy.com> wrote:

Hello JoeHill,

> Oh yeah, once it starts, I can switch to online mode. It's just so
> totally annoying

I don't doubt it. :-(

> Pretty sure at this point it's not Claws, it's probably just following
> some other setting somewhere.

Maybe so, but the people on that list will have a far better idea of
what it's likely to be, I'm sure.

> Thanks!

No problem.

<time passes>

I see Thilo hit the nail on the head. It's something I'll have to try
and remember if/when someone else suffers the same problem.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

I'll tell you something, I think that you should know
Rich Kids - Rich Kids
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:16 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org