Old 10-25-2008, 05:45 AM
Chris Bannister

Default gzip: stdin: not in gzip format (was apt-get update problem)

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 10:42:34AM -0700, Account for Debian group mail wrote:
> Hello,
>
> We have 2 (of out many) machines that will not do a apt-get update
> properly (since the 4.0 upgrade a couple days ago). These 2 machine are
> old but have working just fine. The message I get on both of these
> machines are:
>
> Get:5 http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Sources [56.5kB] 99% [5 Sources gzip 0]
> [Waiting for headers] gzip: stdin: not in gzip format
>
> Err http://security.debian.org etch/updates/main Sources Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)
>
> Failed to fetch
> http://security.debian.org/dists/etch/updates/main/source/Sources.gz
> Sub-process gzip returned an error code (1)

Try "apt-get clean" then "apt-get update"

Still no good? then delete contents of:
/var/lib/apt/lists/partial

Then try "apt-get update" again.

TIP
===
To further analyse problems like this or indeed any problem where a well
defined error message is produced; PASTE the exact error message into
google and you will *ususally* find lots of posts about it.

I posted "[Waiting for headers] gzip: stdin: not in gzip format" into
google and got *at least* those answers I've given above.

Try the simplest solutions first, moving up to the more *drastic* ones
if it seems necessary.

Anyway it would be good, if you could post back if none of these work.
If another solution, which you could get off google, works, please post
that back here. No doubt others will experience the same thing.

P.S. Changed subject to more accurately depict your problem.

--
Chris.
======