-   -   digital out with alsa (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/181985-digital-out-alsa.html)

Alex Samad 10-25-2008 05:13 AM

digital out with alsa

Hi

I have recently purchased a new motherboard gigabyte ga-m750sli-ds4

it has a nvidia / intel sound chip set
NVidia [HDA NVidia], device 0: ALC882 Analog [ALC882 Analog]

00:07.0 Audio device: nVidia Corporation Device 0774 (rev a1)
Subsystem: Giga-byte Technology Device a002
Flags: 66MHz, fast devsel, IRQ 21
Memory at f8000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel modules: snd-hda-intel

I have tried to get the digital out working on this card, but it seems
like there is a problem with the current kernel/deb package 2.6.26-1-amd64

From what I have found (on the ubunto forums) (i am running debian :) )
this has been fixed in 8.10 alpha 5 - which includes linux 2.6.27 (or .28).

There has also been some mention that it is fixed in alsa 1.0.18rc3, we currently
only have 1.0.17 (current stable). I have checked experimental but its not there either.

Any one got any tip on who to compile up 1.0.18rc from the alsa site to work with 2.6.26-1-amd64

Or any one else got a fix for this ???

As a work around until the alsa stuff makes it into the debian repos, i found an old card
sounds blaster audigy2 live

Audigy2 [Audigy 2 Value [SB0400]], device 0: emu10k1 [ADC Capture/Standard PCM Playback]

01:07.0 Multimedia audio controller: Creative Labs SB0400 Audigy2 Value
Subsystem: Creative Labs Device 1001
I/O ports at 9400 [size=64]
Capabilities: <access denied>
Kernel driver in use: EMU10K1_Audigy
Kernel modules: snd-emu10k1

I have plugged in the coax and run a speaker-test with alsa, I only get sound on the left and right speakers
i get nothing on the other speaker - base center surround.

I would like to have the default sounds come out the digital out, preferable with dmix, I had this before with
/etc/asoundrc, but when I try the same thing with the sounds blaster it errors out saying there is only 2 channels.

help

Alex