Old 10-24-2008, 03:29 PM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

Default downgrading a single package

Hi there,

I was experiencing with an unstable package, now I'd like to
downgrade this package... I have been searching for hours I cannot
find what I need to do:

I simply tried:

sudo apt-get install -t unstable nfs-common

now what is the opposite command ?

Here is what I have:

$ cat /etc/apt/preferences
Package: *
Pin: release a=etch
Pin-Priority: 1001
Package: *
Pin: release a=etch-backports
Pin-Priority: 1001
Package: *
Pin: origin ftp.debian-unofficial.org
Pin-Priority: 550
Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 50
Package: *
Pin: release a=unstable
Pin-Priority: 40

$ apt-cache policy nfs-common
nfs-common:
Installed: 1:1.1.3-2
Candidate: 1:1.1.3-2
Version table:
*** 1:1.1.3-2 0
40 http://ftp.fr.debian.org unstable/main Packages
100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
1:1.1.2-6lenny1 0
50 http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/main Packages
1:1.0.10-6+etch.1 0
500 http://debian.theralys.com etch/main Packages

$ sudo apt-get install nfs-common=1.1.2-6
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
E: Version '1.1.2-6' for 'nfs-common' was not found

How do I downgrade to 1.1.2 ?

Thank you !
--
Mathieu

Old 10-24-2008, 03:33 PM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

nevermind:

Downgrading from a later release of a package to an earlier one is not
officially supported in
Debian. However, you may find that you have to downgrade a specific
package in order to
re-install a version of a package that works when a new version
malfunctions. You may find
these previous package files locally in /var/cache/apt/archives/ or
remotely at http:
//snapshot.debian.net/. See also 'Rescue using dpkg' on page 12.

ref:
qref.sourceforge.net/Debian/quick-reference/quick-reference.en.pdf

--
Mathieu

Old 10-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Mathieu Malaterre escreveu:
> Hi there,
>
> I was experiencing with an unstable package, now I'd like to
> downgrade this package... I have been searching for hours I cannot
> find what I need to do:
> [...]
> $ apt-cache policy nfs-common
> nfs-common:
> Installed: 1:1.1.3-2
> Candidate: 1:1.1.3-2
> Version table:
> *** 1:1.1.3-2 0
> 40 http://ftp.fr.debian.org unstable/main Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> 1:1.1.2-6lenny1 0
> 50 http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/main Packages
> 1:1.0.10-6+etch.1 0
> 500 http://debian.theralys.com etch/main Packages
>
> $ sudo apt-get install nfs-common=1.1.2-6
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> E: Version '1.1.2-6' for 'nfs-common' was not found
>

> How do I downgrade to 1.1.2 ?

Try apt-get install nfs-common=1.1.2-6lenny1, that's the correct version
(not only 1.1.2-6).

You can also easily install specific versions using aptitude's graphical
interface.

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 10-24-2008, 04:42 PM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 05:29:02PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was experiencing with an unstable package, now I'd like to
> downgrade this package... I have been searching for hours I cannot
> find what I need to do:
>
> I simply tried:
>
> sudo apt-get install -t unstable nfs-common
>
> now what is the opposite command ?

These is no simple oposit command ....

> Here is what I have:
>
> $ cat /etc/apt/preferences
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=etch
> Pin-Priority: 1001
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=etch-backports
> Pin-Priority: 1001
> Package: *
> Pin: origin ftp.debian-unofficial.org
> Pin-Priority: 550
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=testing
> Pin-Priority: 50
> Package: *
> Pin: release a=unstable
> Pin-Priority: 40

This seems right direction. But this was exactly the problem I had to think a
lot to figure out. Problem is "etch". It should be "stable".

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html#archivelevelreleasefiles

Also if I were you, I will trim down my source.lst to just etch and have just:

Package: *
Pin: release a=testing
Pin-Priority: 1001

Well anyway...

> $ apt-cache policy nfs-common
> nfs-common:
> Installed: 1:1.1.3-2
> Candidate: 1:1.1.3-2
> Version table:
> *** 1:1.1.3-2 0
> 40 http://ftp.fr.debian.org unstable/main Packages
> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
> 1:1.1.2-6lenny1 0
> 50 http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/main Packages
> 1:1.0.10-6+etch.1 0
> 500 http://debian.theralys.com etch/main Packages

Since pin by code name is not working, stable get default pin value of
500.

> $ sudo apt-get install nfs-common=1.1.2-6
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> E: Version '1.1.2-6' for 'nfs-common' was not found

You want "1.0.10-6+etch.1". Why not

$ sudo apt-get install "nfs-common=1.0.10-6+etch.1"

(I am not sure this works, I have not done these things)

My debian reference has been updated to explain all these confusion.

http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html#packagesfrommixesourceofarchives
http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch03.en.html#archivelevelreleasefiles

This is good start. My old quick reference page is good but contents
are outdated.

Osamu

Old 10-25-2008, 05:17 AM
Chris Bannister

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 05:29:02PM +0200, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I was experiencing with an unstable package, now I'd like to
> downgrade this package... I have been searching for hours I cannot
> find what I need to do:
>
> I simply tried:
>
> sudo apt-get install -t unstable nfs-common
>
> now what is the opposite command ?

How about "dpkg --purge nfs-common" then
"sudo apt-get install nfs-common"

You may have to purge any other packages which were pulled in from
unstable by your original command.

--
Chris.
======

Old 10-25-2008, 07:10 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Fri,24.Oct.08, 17:33:01, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> nevermind:
>
> Downgrading from a later release of a package to an earlier one is not
> officially supported in
> Debian. However, you may find that you have to downgrade a specific
> package in order to
> re-install a version of a package that works when a new version
> malfunctions. You may find
> these previous package files locally in /var/cache/apt/archives/ or
> remotely at http:
> //snapshot.debian.net/. See also 'Rescue using dpkg' on page 12.

Does anybody else see ligatures for each 'fi' group?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-25-2008, 10:20 AM
Florian Kulzer

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 10:10:50 +0300, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri,24.Oct.08, 17:33:01, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> > nevermind:
> >
> > Downgrading from a later release of a package to an earlier one is not
> > officially supported in
> > Debian. However, you may find that you have to downgrade a specific
> > package in order to
> > re-install a version of a package that works when a new version
> > malfunctions. You may find
> > these previous package files locally in /var/cache/apt/archives/ or
> > remotely at http:
> > //snapshot.debian.net/. See also 'Rescue using dpkg' on page 12.
>
> Does anybody else see ligatures for each 'fi' group?

I see the ligatures (U+EFAC81), too. (In the part of the message that
you quoted; I don't have the original mail anymore.)

Florian |

Old 10-26-2008, 02:24 AM
T o n g

On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:33:45 -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:

>> I was experiencing with an unstable package, now I'd like to
>> downgrade this package...

>> $ apt-cache policy nfs-common
>> nfs-common:
>> Installed: 1:1.1.3-2
>> Candidate: 1:1.1.3-2
>> Version table:
>> *** 1:1.1.3-2 0
>> 40 http://ftp.fr.debian.org unstable/main Packages
>> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>> 1:1.1.2-6lenny1 0
>> 50 http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/main Packages
>> 1:1.0.10-6+etch.1 0
>> 500 http://debian.theralys.com etch/main Packages
>>
>> $ sudo apt-get install nfs-common=1.1.2-6 Reading package lists... Done
>> Building dependency tree... Done
>> E: Version '1.1.2-6' for 'nfs-common' was not found
>>
>> How do I downgrade to 1.1.2 ?
>>
> Try apt-get install nfs-common=1.1.2-6lenny1, that's the correct version
> (not only 1.1.2-6).

Not enough -- also need the '1:' part (i.e., 1:1.1.2-6lenny1):

% apt-cache policy nfs-common
nfs-common:
Installed: (none)
Candidate: 1:1.1.2-6lenny1
Version table:
1:1.1.3-2 0
50 http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca unstable/main Packages
1:1.1.2-6lenny1 0
300 http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca lenny/main Packages

% apt-get install nfs-common=1.1.2-6lenny1
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
E: Version '1.1.2-6lenny1' for 'nfs-common' was not found

See, won't work. But...

% apt-get install nfs-common=1:1.1.3-2
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
libevent1 libgssglue1 libnfsidmap2 librpcsecgss3 nfs-common portmap
libevent1 libgssglue1 libnfsidmap2 librpcsecgss3 nfs-common portmap

Adding the '1:' part allows me to install from unstable even the candidate
is from lenny, without any pinning!

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 10-26-2008, 08:44 AM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

On Sun, Oct 26, 2008 at 4:24 AM, T o n g <mlist4suntong@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Oct 2008 13:33:45 -0200, Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote:
>
>>> I was experiencing with an unstable package, now I'd like to
>>> downgrade this package...
>
>>> $ apt-cache policy nfs-common
>>> nfs-common:
>>> Installed: 1:1.1.3-2
>>> Candidate: 1:1.1.3-2
>>> Version table:
>>> *** 1:1.1.3-2 0
>>> 40 http://ftp.fr.debian.org unstable/main Packages
>>> 100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
>>> 1:1.1.2-6lenny1 0
>>> 50 http://ftp.fr.debian.org testing/main Packages
>>> 1:1.0.10-6+etch.1 0
>>> 500 http://debian.theralys.com etch/main Packages
>>>
>>> $ sudo apt-get install nfs-common=1.1.2-6 Reading package lists... Done
>>> Building dependency tree... Done
>>> E: Version '1.1.2-6' for 'nfs-common' was not found
>>>
>>> How do I downgrade to 1.1.2 ?
>>>
>> Try apt-get install nfs-common=1.1.2-6lenny1, that's the correct version
>> (not only 1.1.2-6).
>
> Not enough -- also need the '1:' part (i.e., 1:1.1.2-6lenny1):
>
> % apt-cache policy nfs-common
> nfs-common:
> Installed: (none)
> Candidate: 1:1.1.2-6lenny1
> Version table:
> 1:1.1.3-2 0
> 50 http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca unstable/main Packages
> 1:1.1.2-6lenny1 0
> 300 http://gulus.usherbrooke.ca lenny/main Packages
>
> % apt-get install nfs-common=1.1.2-6lenny1
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Version '1.1.2-6lenny1' for 'nfs-common' was not found
>
> See, won't work. But...
>
> % apt-get install nfs-common=1:1.1.3-2
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree
> Reading state information... Done
> libevent1 libgssglue1 libnfsidmap2 librpcsecgss3 nfs-common portmap
> libevent1 libgssglue1 libnfsidmap2 librpcsecgss3 nfs-common portmap
>
> Adding the '1:' part allows me to install from unstable even the candidate
> is from lenny, without any pinning!

Thanks everyone !

--
Mathieu

Old 10-27-2008, 10:31 PM
"s. keeling"

Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com>:
> On Fri,24.Oct.08, 17:33:01, Mathieu Malaterre wrote:
> > these previous package =EF=AC=81les locally in /var/cache/apt/archives/ or
> > remotely at http:
> > //snapshot.debian.net/. See also 'Rescue using dpkg' on page 12.
>
> Does anybody else see ligatures for each 'fi' group?

I see question marks, but that's in slrn w LANG="en_US.iso885915". I
don't use utf-8 (his charset).