Old 10-24-2008, 11:24 AM
"Javier Barroso"

Default Why aptitude is sometimes slow inside xen domU ?

Hi list,

My aptitude is very slow when it is running inside domU:

aptitude take 3 minutes on:

Writing extended state information... 67%

I'm installing iotop to monit this issue

Any tip ?

Thanks

PD: I had memory issues previously (in others vm), I solved it with:
echo 'APT::Cache-Limit "25165824";' >> /etc/apt/apt.conf

Old 02-15-2009, 01:22 AM
"Olivier B."

Javier Barroso-3 wrote:

> My aptitude is very slow when it is running inside domU:
> aptitude take 3 minutes on:
> Writing extended state information... 67%

Hi,

I have same problem on a fresh Lenny Dom0/DomU setup.

Do you find where was the problem for you ?

Olivier

Old 02-16-2009, 06:34 AM
Javier Barroso

> My aptitude is very slow when it is running inside domU:

> aptitude take 3 minutes on:

> Writing extended state information... 67%

Hi,

I have same problem on a fresh Lenny Dom0/DomU setup.

Do you find where was the problem for you ?No, I didn't

It is possible this issue is related with apt/sources.list and extra repos (I remember memory-cache problems whith this). I can't remember now in wich mv it happened, so I'm not sure about his sources.list content.

How could we replicate this issue without aptitude (writing many files in very short time ?)?

Regards

Old 02-25-2009, 03:28 PM
"Olivier B."

In fact in my case the domU is really really slow :
time dd if=/dev/zero of=TEST bs=4k count=12500
12500+0 enregistrements lus
12500+0 enregistrements écrits
51200000 bytes (51 MB) copied, 37,504 s, 1,4 MB/s

real 0m37.520s
user 0m0.004s
sys 0m0.352s

1.4MB/s... and the Dom0 do only 40MB/s on write.

So it's not an aptitude problem.
Thanks,

Olivier