Old 10-24-2008, 01:05 AM
Serena Cantor

Default how to convert several .flv files to a real media file?

I have etch and installed mplayer and mencoder from debian-multimedia. I can play .flv file and real media file.
I have download a video clip from a video site like youtube. The clip has several .flv files. I want to convert them to a single real media file. Which command shall I use? Thanks!

(Mplayer's document is too long, I don't have time to read it)

Old 10-24-2008, 02:11 AM
Ron Johnson

I have etch and installed mplayer and mencoder from debian-multimedia. I can play .flv file and real media file.
I have download a video clip from a video site like youtube. The clip has several .flv files. I want to convert them to a single real media file. Which command shall I use? Thanks!

(Mplayer's document is too long, I don't have time to read it)

Googling for "ffmpeg convert flv to rm" returns some seemingly
helpful links.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

Help a man when he is in trouble and he will remember you when
he is in trouble again.

Old 10-24-2008, 02:17 AM
Serena Cantor

Now I change mind, real media format does not save disk space, compared with .flv.
So my question change to : how to combine several .flv files to a single .flv file?

Thank Ron Johnson anyway!

Old 10-24-2008, 02:24 AM
Ron Johnson

Woman's prerogative?

Google says that avidemux "File->append" works.

Old 10-24-2008, 06:53 AM
Serena Cantor

I install avidemux, it doesn't work.
It seems to me that avidemux supports only avi and mpeg format.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:54 PM
Ron Johnson

Maybe the Debian version is crippled by the need to be DFSG-pure?

Old 10-25-2008, 01:38 AM
"Manon Metten"

Hi Serena,

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 3:05 AM, Serena Cantor <qipaishi2006@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have etch and installed mplayer and mencoder from debian-multimedia. I can play .flv file and real media file.
> I have download a video clip from a video site like youtube. The clip has several .flv files. I want to convert them to a single real media file. Which command shall I use? Thanks!

I had the same problem a while ago.
After some googling I ended up with the following solution:

$: mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -idx -o out.avi in1.flv in2.flv
in3.flv etc...

I used it to join some 12 .flv files into one single .avi file of
approx. the same size as all twelve added up. As I understood it well,
mencoder cannot output .flv format (but a lot of other formats
indeed).

For me there was no reason to convert the out.avi to out.flv, using
ffmpeg, as it only results in poorer quality. Besides that, I found
ffmpeg deleting some frames while converting. So I stuck with the
.avi file. I use ffplay on the command line to watch the .avi video
(ffplay is part of the ffmpeg package):

$: ffplay -x 640 -y 480 out.avi

If you ensist on having a .flv file, you can use ffmpeg like this:

$: ffmpeg -i out.avi -sameq out.flv

Greetings, Manon.

Old 10-25-2008, 03:48 AM
Serena Cantor

Thanks a lot!

I use the command you offer. There are many issues to be solved. I use mplayer to play it. I have not installed ffmpeg. Mplayer can't forward seek when playing it. vlc play only video, not sound.

Besides, mencoder can encode .flv. See its usage page:

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-selecting-codec.html

At the end of the web page above, it has an example how to convert a avi file to a .flv flash file.

Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 PM
"paul"

info mplayer is your friend...

Old 10-25-2008, 06:43 PM
"Manon Metten"

Hi Serena,

On Sat, Oct 25, 2008 at 5:48 AM, Serena Cantor <qipaishi2006@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Besides, mencoder can encode .flv. See its usage page:
>
> http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/HTML/en/menc-feat-selecting-codec.html
>
> At the end of the web page above, it has an example how to convert a avi file to a .flv flash file.

Thanks! You're right. I remember reading somewhere that mencoder
couldn't join .flv files, but apparently that was outdated or
incorrect info. But as I was happy with output in .avi I didn't bother
to look any further.

Now I downloaded two small cartoons from YouTube and managed to join
the two .flv files with the following command:

mencoder in1.flv in2.flv -o out.flv -of lavf -oac mp3lame -lameopts
abr:br=56 -srate 22050 -ovc lavc -lavcopts
vcodec=flv:vbitrate=500:mbd=2:mv0:trell:v4mv:cbp:l ast_pred=3 -lavfopts
i_certify_that_my_video_stream_does_not_use_b_fram es

However, it took mencoder a considerable amount of time and the output
file was more than triple size of the two input files.

Using: "mencoder -oac copy -ovc copy -idx -o out.avi in1.flv
in2.flv" goes way much faster and results in an output file slightly
larger than double size of the two input files.

Maybe fine tuning the opts results in smaller file size (and quality
loss??) for .flv, but please don't ask me :-)

Comparing the output, .avi equals .flv and for both I find no real
quality loss compared with the original files. So I'll stick with .avi
for now, but it might come in handy some day if I really need .flv
output.

Greetings, Manon.