Old 10-23-2008, 09:56 PM
"Mike Pobega"

Default Wireless Dead

Last night my wireless just stopped working for no reason. I unpacked
my laptop from my school bag, tried to connect to my router but it
didn't do anything. It kept timing out the DHCP. So I tried scanning
to see if my router was picked up, but it turns out that iwlist ath0
scan only reported a quality of 17/70. While within range of the
router (55/70) I am still unable to connect. Everything else works
fine and my interface is brought up properly, but I have no way to
properly connect it.

I am using an Eee PC 900 with the madwifi drivers.

Old 10-23-2008, 10:10 PM
"Felipe Gallois"

Last night my wireless just stopped working for no reason. I unpacked

my laptop from my school bag, tried to connect to my router but it

didn't do anything. It kept timing out the DHCP. So I tried scanning

to see if my router was picked up, but it turns out that iwlist ath0

scan only reported a quality of 17/70. While within range of the

router (55/70) I am still unable to connect. Everything else works

fine and my interface is brought up properly, but I have no way to

properly connect it.

I am using an Eee PC 900 with the madwifi drivers.

can you connect to another network?
did you upgrade your system?
what version are you running?

cheers!
--
gallois
aka Felipe Gallois

fanglib homepage: www.gallois.com.br/fanglib

Old 10-23-2008, 10:29 PM
"Mike Pobega"

On 10/23/08, Felipe Gallois <felipe@gallois.com.br> wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 19:56, Mike Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Last night my wireless just stopped working for no reason. I unpacked
>> my laptop from my school bag, tried to connect to my router but it
>> didn't do anything. It kept timing out the DHCP. So I tried scanning
>> to see if my router was picked up, but it turns out that iwlist ath0
>> scan only reported a quality of 17/70. While within range of the
>> router (55/70) I am still unable to connect. Everything else works
>> fine and my interface is brought up properly, but I have no way to
>> properly connect it.
>>
>> I am using an Eee PC 900 with the madwifi drivers.
>>

>> --
>>

> can you connect to another network?
> did you upgrade your system?
> what version are you running?
>
> cheers!

-No, I haven't had the chance, but I have a feeling it won't prove any
differently.
-No, I didn't. Although I did install cryptsetup and dmsetup which may
have had something do with it, being that they messed with the
initramfs...But I've since recovered my backup initramfs and the
wireless still refuses to work.
- Lenny on kernel 2.6.25

Old 10-24-2008, 04:26 PM
Michael Pobega

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 06:29:54PM -0400, Mike Pobega wrote:
> On 10/23/08, Felipe Gallois <felipe@gallois.com.br> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 19:56, Mike Pobega <pobega@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Last night my wireless just stopped working for no reason. I unpacked
> >> my laptop from my school bag, tried to connect to my router but it
> >> didn't do anything. It kept timing out the DHCP. So I tried scanning
> >> to see if my router was picked up, but it turns out that iwlist ath0
> >> scan only reported a quality of 17/70. While within range of the
> >> router (55/70) I am still unable to connect. Everything else works
> >> fine and my interface is brought up properly, but I have no way to
> >> properly connect it.
> >>
> >> I am using an Eee PC 900 with the madwifi drivers.
> >>

> >> --
> >>

> > can you connect to another network?
> > did you upgrade your system?
> > what version are you running?
> >
> > cheers!
> >

> -No, I haven't had the chance, but I have a feeling it won't prove any
> differently.
> -No, I didn't. Although I did install cryptsetup and dmsetup which may
> have had something do with it, being that they messed with the
> initramfs...But I've since recovered my backup initramfs and the
> wireless still refuses to work.
> - Lenny on kernel 2.6.25

I've tried reinstalling madwifi and the problem persists. I'll be trying
to connect to another AP tonight, so let's hope it's just my router.

Old 10-24-2008, 05:44 PM
Michael Pobega

On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 05:56:48PM -0400, Mike Pobega wrote:
> Last night my wireless just stopped working for no reason. I unpacked
> my laptop from my school bag, tried to connect to my router but it
> didn't do anything. It kept timing out the DHCP. So I tried scanning
> to see if my router was picked up, but it turns out that iwlist ath0
> scan only reported a quality of 17/70. While within range of the
> router (55/70) I am still unable to connect. Everything else works
> fine and my interface is brought up properly, but I have no way to
> properly connect it.
>
> I am using an Eee PC 900 with the madwifi drivers.

I figured it out, something is wrong with my WPA encryption. I'm also
having trouble signing my emails with my GPG key...Any idea what
packages I could be missing? The error I get is "bad key"

Old 10-24-2008, 06:01 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 13:44:55 -0400, Michael Pobega wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 05:56:48PM -0400, Mike Pobega wrote:
> > Last night my wireless just stopped working for no reason. I unpacked
> > my laptop from my school bag, tried to connect to my router but it
> > didn't do anything. It kept timing out the DHCP. So I tried scanning
> > to see if my router was picked up, but it turns out that iwlist ath0
> > scan only reported a quality of 17/70. While within range of the
> > router (55/70) I am still unable to connect. Everything else works
> > fine and my interface is brought up properly, but I have no way to
> > properly connect it.
> >
> > I am using an Eee PC 900 with the madwifi drivers.
>
> I figured it out, something is wrong with my WPA encryption. I'm also
> having trouble signing my emails with my GPG key...Any idea what
> packages I could be missing? The error I get is "bad key"

Problems with WPA encryption are normally due to either wpasupplicant
acting up or the driver not playing along nicely with it. In my
experience, the telltale symptom to look out for is if "/sbin/iwconfig"
shows your wireless device as "not associated" to any access point. Do
you see that?

The common dependencies of wpasupplicant and gnupg seem to be limited to
general-purpose system libraries (libc6, libgcc1, libncurses5,
libreadline5, readline-common, tzdata, zplib1g).

Florian |

Old 10-24-2008, 08:45 PM
Michael Pobega

On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 08:01:34PM +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 24, 2008 at 13:44:55 -0400, Michael Pobega wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 23, 2008 at 05:56:48PM -0400, Mike Pobega wrote:
> > > Last night my wireless just stopped working for no reason. I unpacked
> > > my laptop from my school bag, tried to connect to my router but it
> > > didn't do anything. It kept timing out the DHCP. So I tried scanning
> > > to see if my router was picked up, but it turns out that iwlist ath0
> > > scan only reported a quality of 17/70. While within range of the
> > > router (55/70) I am still unable to connect. Everything else works
> > > fine and my interface is brought up properly, but I have no way to
> > > properly connect it.
> > >
> > > I am using an Eee PC 900 with the madwifi drivers.
> >
> > I figured it out, something is wrong with my WPA encryption. I'm also
> > having trouble signing my emails with my GPG key...Any idea what
> > packages I could be missing? The error I get is "bad key"
>
> Problems with WPA encryption are normally due to either wpasupplicant
> acting up or the driver not playing along nicely with it. In my
> experience, the telltale symptom to look out for is if "/sbin/iwconfig"
> shows your wireless device as "not associated" to any access point. Do
> you see that?
>
> The common dependencies of wpasupplicant and gnupg seem to be limited to
> general-purpose system libraries (libc6, libgcc1, libncurses5,
> libreadline5, readline-common, tzdata, zplib1g).

Well, the problem just kind of fixed itself, but for some reason the
signal quality is still VERY VERY low. Anyone know of any ways to fix
this?

Or can someone recommend me a good USB wireless card? Something that
plays along nice with Debian and WPA

Old 10-25-2008, 12:58 AM
"Sudev Barar"

2008/10/25 Michael Pobega <pobega@gmail.com>:

> Or can someone recommend me a good USB wireless card? Something that
> plays along nice with Debian and WPA

On my laptop wireless died and to replace on board module the quote
was three time as much as a NetGear WG111-V3 wireless USB plugin
adaptor. Works well under Ubuntu with WPA/WPA2 but does not do WEP
authentication. did not have Debian on that machine.

Sudev Barar

PS: I know most of people do not follow email niceties (mostly they
are not aware) but if you follow bottom post/in-line post style of
email conversations it becomes a whole lot easier to carry on
meaningful dialogue and you can snip out what is not meaningful too.
Most people just hit reply button and top post leaving prior message
appended uselessly at bottom. See if you can adopt this style and
persuade others. In case you are already doing this ..... great,
spread the message.