Old 11-21-2007, 01:24 AM
joseph lockhart

Default Unidentified subject!

>On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 03:47:52PM -0500, Douglas A.
>Tutty wrote:
>
>> After you reboot and get a prompt, use aptitude
>and install what you
>> want: exim4 and mutt for mail, lynx and perhaps
>links2 (does
>> javascript), and of course mc (midnight
>commander). Finish off with
>> your editor-of-choice (I use vim).
>>
>> If you specifically don't want any X, I suggest
>strongly that you use
>> aptitude interactively so that you can go back and
>forth if you
> choose
>> something that wants to drag in X.
>
>The other thing I forgot to suggest is that you may
>find packages
>installed as part of base that you don't want
>either. I find I can
> pare
>base down quite a bit.
>
>Doug.

thank you doug, appreciate the responce, yes i want it
with absolutely no x, the plan is to put it on an old
box to force me to learn the commandline better (i use
it as much as i can but i know that so much more could
be done with it), besides there is a nostalgia factor
of a terminal only box (it is what i cut my teeth on
so to speak, though that was a 286 DOS box). the
second thing is that it would be nice to see what all
you could do without the need for a clumbsy GUI (well
at least IMHO). the final point is that i am a little
supprised that no one has made a debian based terminal
only installation, but i guess being able to do it
using the netinstall disk may explain that (though i
would have thought that one would exist for those who
still exist in the world of dialup

jwlockhart

Registered Linux User #458799
this user is penguin powered

Old 11-21-2007, 03:09 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 06:24:55PM -0800, joseph lockhart wrote:
> >On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 03:47:52PM -0500, Douglas A. Tutty wrote:

> thank you doug, appreciate the responce, yes i want it with absolutely
> no x, the plan is to put it on an old box to force me to learn the
> commandline better (i use it as much as i can but i know that so much
> more could be done with it), besides there is a nostalgia factor of a
> terminal only box (it is what i cut my teeth on so to speak, though
> that was a 286 DOS box). the second thing is that it would be nice to
> see what all you could do without the need for a clumbsy GUI (well at
> least IMHO). the final point is that i am a little supprised that no
> one has made a debian based terminal only installation, but i guess
> being able to do it using the netinstall disk may explain that (though
> i would have thought that one would exist for those who still exist in
> the world of dialup

I am on slow dialup: 1.2 KB/s usual. Note that aptitude/apt is smart
enough to be able to pick up where a download is interrupted. Install
things in small selections so you're not waiting a week just to get
email setup.

Great, you really want to learn non-GUI.

Before you start, read the aptitude guide, the debian reference, and
the installation manual.

A good non-GUI setup:

Base setup (no tasks),
aptitude interactive,
go down the list of installed packages and mark anything that you don't
specifically want as 'A'utomaticly installed.
add ppp and pppconfig.
hit 'g' and see the list of packages to remove.
You don't need their configs so mark everything that is to be deleted as
Purge instead (select the section and mark it purge).
hit 'g' again to get a smaller system with ppp available.

set up ppp and get it working.

set up your /etc/apt/sources.list including security updates.

pon and run aptitude and do an update. Install the security updates.

Install exim4, mutt, mc, lynx, and an editor.

Install lots of docs: doc-linux-html (HOWTOs), kernel docs, and docs for
anything you install that has a separate doc package.

Enjoy.

Doug.

Old 12-31-2007, 05:55 PM
joseph lockhart

>> just wondering if anyone else has trouble using
>wine?
>
>Not most of the time, and the rest of the time, not
>if I read and
>follow the instructions.
>
>> everytime that i install it, i cannot get the
>program
>> that i would like to use with it to work (so far
>> windows media player 9, realplayer 10, and a few
>other
>> programs that my wife wanted me to try and install
>for
>> her).
>
>Why are you trying to solve these the hard way
>instead of using the
>native alternatives?

because i have yet to find or even hear of a linux
alternative that handles DRM licenses which (as i
explained in previous posts) i need to allow my wife
to purchase accompaniment tracks online

jwlockhart

Registered Linux User #458799
Registered Kubuntu User #19678
this user is penguin powered

Old 01-08-2008, 07:55 AM

新しいメールアドレスをお知らせし す新しいメールアドレス: marieamaleeq111@yahoo.co.jp

Hi

how are you Doing?my name is marie Almaleeq,please i want to you to Recover some money my father left in bank here,please is very important you get back to me we shall talk on percentage

Regard

marie

-

Old 06-09-2008, 11:18 AM
James Richardson

unsubscribe

Old 02-19-2009, 12:36 AM
Alejandro Rodriguez Luna

HI all!,

I just installed Debian Lenny, and after reboot, I update my apt database (aptitude update), then i wanted to install vim (aptitude install vim), but the message that appeared was

0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 177 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 495MB will be freed.
Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] ^C

Why lenny wants remove the packages?

Regards.

Correo Yahoo!
Espacio para todos tus mensajes, antivirus y antispam gratis!
Regstrate ya - http://correo.yahoo.com.mx/

Old 02-19-2009, 04:37 AM
Kelly Clowers

On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 17:36, Alejandro Rodriguez Luna
<el_alexluna@yahoo.com.mx> wrote:
> HI all!,
>
> I just installed Debian Lenny, and after reboot, I update my apt database
> (aptitude update), then i wanted to install vim (aptitude install vim), but
> the message that appeared was
>
> 0 packages upgraded, 0 newly installed, 177 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
> Need to get 0B of archives. After unpacking 495MB will be freed.
> Do you want to continue? [Y/n/?] ^C
>
> Why lenny wants remove the packages?

There may be packages that were automatically installed,
but are not needed now. Run aptitude in interactive mode
(no arguments) and see what is to be removed.

Cheers,
Kelly Clowers

Old 11-02-2009, 12:26 PM
"anthony berger"

I all

i try to sync some installer-* directories but i need some help.

i would like to sync debian/dist/lenny/main/installer-i386 from ftp.fr.debian.org

What's the better way to do that?

i try to use the cmd line :

rsync -rltvvHSB8192 --timeout 3600 --stats -n ftp.debian.org:/debian

but i get the error :

opening connection using: ssh -l anonymous ftp.debian.org rsync --server --sender -vvnlHtrSe.iLs -B8192 --timeout=3600 . /debian
Permission denied (publickey).
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes received so far) [receiver]
rsync error: unexplained error (code 255) at io.c(600) [receiver=3.0.6]

and with

rsync -vv --timeout 3600 --stats* anonymous@ftp.fr.debian.org::ftp
i get :
opening tcp connection to ftp.fr.debian.org port 873

and nothing else.

Thank you for your help

anthony

Old 02-23-2010, 11:37 PM

I'm resending this after correcting the date on
my system.

* Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 03:47:55 +0100 Vincent Lefevre wrote,
> The ifconfig command
> is said to be deprecated in favour of iproute ...

Curious. The Squeeze installer, or Lenny at least,
still creates /etc/network/interfaces doesn't it?
And this file is cited in ifconfig.man but not in
ip.man.

If we are willing to take deprecation of ifconfig
seriously, how should something in the iproute
package be directed to configure the interfaces?

Thanks, ... Peter E.

--
Google "pathology workshop"

Old 02-23-2010, 11:42 PM