Old 08-11-2011, 01:13 PM
"gnubayonne-debian451@yahoo.com"

Default Unidentified subject!

I'm trying to do a fresh install of 6.0.2.1, but there is a glitch bringing up
the wireless network on my 1420N Inspiron laptop. It uses the iwl3945 driver:

09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast Ethernet
PCI Express (rev 02)

I boot with with the first i386 CD and it goes through the installer until it
asks if you need to load firmware from removable storage. At first I just put
the actually ucode files on a USB stick, but it didn't like that. But after
putting the iwl firmware deb file, it now installs the modules. At the
command-line, I can see the iwl3945 module running. I then select the wireless
interface in the next screen where you pick what network interface to use,
however it can't see any wireless networks. I try the manual setup, but it still
doesn't see the network. In addition to my protected network some of my
neighbors have unprotected networks and it can't see them either.

When its loading the modules from the usb stick, I see the wireless LED on my
laptop flash a few times, but after that it stays off.

I'm not sure what else i can do with it, the install CD doesn't seem to have
ifconfig or iwconfig. But with lspci I see the device and the correct iwl
modules are running and I see the iwl ucode files in /usr/lib/firmware.

I have an existing debian install on another harddisk (thats how I'm sending
this email) and I got around this problem when I installed it by using the wired
ethernet to go through the install and after some rigmarole I don't quite
remember, I got the wireless to work. But If possible I'd rather install from
the wireless, as in a lot of situations I might not have access to a wired port.
What can I try? Thanks.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:39 PM
Camalen

On Thu, 11 Aug 2011 06:13:12 -0700, gnubayonne-debian451@yahoo.com wrote:

> I'm trying to do a fresh install of 6.0.2.1, but there is a glitch
> bringing up the wireless network on my 1420N Inspiron laptop. It uses
> the iwl3945 driver:
>
> 09:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetLink BCM5906M Fast
> Ethernet PCI Express (rev 02)

That's the wired adapter not the wireless one, right? :-?

If you can use this adapter I would definitely go with it. Wifi can be
flaky for a full installation.

> I boot with with the first i386 CD and it goes through the installer
> until it asks if you need to load firmware from removable storage. At
> first I just put the actually ucode files on a USB stick, but it didn't
> like that. But after putting the iwl firmware deb file, it now installs
> the modules. At the command-line, I can see the iwl3945 module running.
> I then select the wireless interface in the next screen where you pick
> what network interface to use, however it can't see any wireless
> networks. I try the manual setup, but it still doesn't see the network.
> In addition to my protected network some of my neighbors have
> unprotected networks and it can't see them either.

IIRC, the installer only allows WEP encryption, so ensure your AP is
configured as such if you still want to proceed in that way...

> When its loading the modules from the usb stick, I see the wireless LED
> on my laptop flash a few times, but after that it stays off.
>
> I'm not sure what else i can do with it, the install CD doesn't seem to
> have ifconfig or iwconfig. But with lspci I see the device and the
> correct iwl modules are running and I see the iwl ucode files in
> /usr/lib/firmware.

(...)

Installation is a complex and delicated task I always take very seriously
and so try to avoid anything that can complicate things in this stage
(like using a wifi card :-P).

Anyway, to see what's going within the installer on you can jump to tty4
(if not 4 try with another, I never remember the number).

Greetings,

--
Camalen

Old 12-09-2011, 09:08 PM
Анатолий

Both:
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso
http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-cd/debian-testing-amd64-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso

Don't now about other architectures.

Xfce/LXDE and more are missing on the ISO images.
Installer doesn't offer a choice DE.

Archive: 958013089.1323468509.190821272.96082@mperl14.rambl er.ru">http://lists.debian.org/958013089.1323468509.190821272.96082@mperl14.rambl er.ru

Old 12-11-2011, 01:41 PM
Camaleón

On Sat, 10 Dec 2011 02:08:29 +0400, Анатолий wrote:

> Both:
> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/i386/iso-cd/debian-testing-i386-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso
^^^^

> http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/amd64/iso-cd/debian-testing-amd64-xfce+lxde-CD-1.iso
^^^^^

> Don't now about other architectures.

Those links point specifically to 1386 and amd64 ISO image files, they
know nothing about other archs.

http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/weekly-builds/

> Xfce/LXDE and more are missing on the ISO images.

I don't understand this. They are the first CD images for XFCE and LXDE
so, what are they missing exactly, the whole DEs? :-?

> Installer doesn't offer a choice DE.

If you mean there is no way to install XFCE and/or LXDE from there, then
report it :-)

Greetings,

--
Camaleón