FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 11-21-2007, 12:55 AM
Reid Priedhorsky
 
Default recommend a flatbed scanner

Folks,

I'm looking for a decent USB flatbed scanner for use with my Lenny box --
and I don't want to spend much, $20-30 on eBay would be ideal. I would use
it to scan photo prints and text documents.

Any suggestions for manufacturers or specific models, or pointers to good
resources to help me choose, would be very much appreciated. I don't know
much about scanners and would be happy to answer any clarifying questions.

Thanks,

Reid


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-21-2007, 02:35 AM
"Kelly Clowers"
 
Default recommend a flatbed scanner

On Nov 20, 2007 5:55 PM, Reid Priedhorsky <reid@reidster.net> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm looking for a decent USB flatbed scanner for use with my Lenny box --
> and I don't want to spend much, $20-30 on eBay would be ideal. I would use
> it to scan photo prints and text documents.
>
> Any suggestions for manufacturers or specific models, or pointers to good
> resources to help me choose, would be very much appreciated. I don't know
> much about scanners and would be happy to answer any clarifying questions.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Reid
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-21-2007, 02:42 AM
"Kelly Clowers"
 
Default recommend a flatbed scanner

On Nov 20, 2007 5:55 PM, Reid Priedhorsky <reid@reidster.net> wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm looking for a decent USB flatbed scanner for use with my Lenny box --
> and I don't want to spend much, $20-30 on eBay would be ideal. I would use
> it to scan photo prints and text documents.
>
> Any suggestions for manufacturers or specific models, or pointers to good
> resources to help me choose, would be very much appreciated. I don't know
> much about scanners and would be happy to answer any clarifying questions.

Sorry about that last message, I slipped and hit send.

The sane project handles scanner drivers, except HP multifunction devices.
They have a list of how well various models are supported:
http://www.sane-project.org/sane-backends.html


Cheers,
Kelly Clowers


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-21-2007, 08:07 AM
Brad Rogers
 
Default recommend a flatbed scanner

On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:55:33 -0600
Reid Priedhorsky <reid@reidster.net> wrote:

Hello Reid,

> Any suggestions for manufacturers or specific models, or pointers to
> good resources to help me choose, would be very much appreciated. I

I tend to prefer HP machines. Partly for build quality, partly for the
HP attitude to Linux (they acknowledge it exists, and provide support),
and partly on price (not cheapest, but not too expensive, either).

Kelly has recommended the Sane project, with the proviso that HP
multi-function devices aren't supported. Be aware though, that HP
provide HPLIP for Linux which *does* support their mf devices.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

It's got nothing to do with the need to impress
Titanic (My Over) Reaction - 999
 
Old 11-21-2007, 08:35 AM
"Lars Scheuer"
 
Default recommend a flatbed scanner

Hi,

On Nov 21, 2007 10:07 AM, Brad Rogers <brad@fineby.me.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 20 Nov 2007 19:55:33 -0600
> Reid Priedhorsky <reid@reidster.net> wrote:
>
> Hello Reid,
>
> > Any suggestions for manufacturers or specific models, or pointers to
> > good resources to help me choose, would be very much appreciated. I

stay away from Canon LIDE 20. It will be recognised by SANE but as
soon as you start scanning it won't work. I tried with several Linux
distributions and had no luck so far.
I am only using it under MacOSX with a terrible frontend from Canon
(really crap)

regards
Lars


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-21-2007, 08:49 AM
Brad Rogers
 
Default recommend a flatbed scanner

On Wed, 21 Nov 2007 10:35:01 +0100
"Lars Scheuer" <larsokrat@gmail.com> wrote:

Hello Lars,

> stay away from Canon LIDE 20. It will be recognised by SANE but as

Mine worked for more than a year, first with Mandriva and then Debian.
Then, one day, it just stopped. I previously owned a Canon printer
which exhibited the same behaviour. That is, it just stopped working
one day.

I see a pattern developing.

In any event, LiDE 20s seem to be getting hard to come by, these days.

--
Regards _
/ ) "The blindingly obvious is
/ _)rad never immediately apparent"

An old custom to sell your daughter
Hong Kong Garden - Siouxsie & The Banshees
 
Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Johannes Wiedersich
 
Default recommend a flatbed scanner

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Hash: SHA1

Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> Folks,
>
> I'm looking for a decent USB flatbed scanner for use with my Lenny box --
> and I don't want to spend much, $20-30 on eBay would be ideal. I would use
> it to scan photo prints and text documents.
>
> Any suggestions for manufacturers or specific models, or pointers to good
> resources to help me choose, would be very much appreciated. I don't know
> much about scanners and would be happy to answer any clarifying questions.

I am using several epson scanners (have to check their model numbers).
They are all supported by the same proprietary driver which is not
difficult to set up and has a simpler (ie. better) user interface than
their windows counterpart.

HTH,

Johannes

-----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)

iD8DBQFHRCfDC1NzPRl9qEURAhp6AJ4umzDxyyI5hjg+MMMUWp RMm+VJlwCdHudW
YKZljQfDbXiZqqbWJXpcSUw=
=3UPM
-----END PGP SIGNATURE-----


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-21-2007, 11:42 AM
Neil Watson
 
Default recommend a flatbed scanner

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 10:35:01AM +0100, Lars Scheuer wrote:

stay away from Canon LIDE 20. It will be recognised by SANE but as
soon as you start scanning it won't work. I tried with several Linux
distributions and had no luck so far.


I have a LIDE 25 and it works. I bought one on recommendation from
another Linux mailing list.

--
Neil Watson | Debian Linux
System Administrator | Uptime 32 days
http://watson-wilson.ca


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-21-2007, 11:57 AM
wanderlust
 
Default recommend a flatbed scanner

Hello
You may try to use Epson Perfection 1270 it works perfectly.
There is a proprietary driver you have to use with it, and must pay
attention whether USB suspend is not turned on into kernel (it caused me
mad, because I couldn't understand why scanner is freezing after making
preview).

Sincerely,
wanderlust

У ср, 2007-11-21 у 13:42 +0100, Johannes Wiedersich пише:
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNED MESSAGE-----
> Hash: SHA1
>
> Reid Priedhorsky wrote:
> > Folks,
> >
> > I'm looking for a decent USB flatbed scanner for use with my Lenny box --
> > and I don't want to spend much, $20-30 on eBay would be ideal. I would use
> > it to scan photo prints and text documents.
> >
> > Any suggestions for manufacturers or specific models, or pointers to good
> > resources to help me choose, would be very much appreciated. I don't know
> > much about scanners and would be happy to answer any clarifying questions.
>
> I am using several epson scanners (have to check their model numbers).
> They are all supported by the same proprietary driver which is not
> difficult to set up and has a simpler (ie. better) user interface than
> their windows counterpart.
>
> HTH,
>
> Johannes
>
> -----BEGIN PGP SIGNATURE-----
> Version: GnuPG v1.4.6 (GNU/Linux)
>
> iD8DBQFHRCfDC1NzPRl9qEURAhp6AJ4umzDxyyI5hjg+MMMUWp RMm+VJlwCdHudW
> YKZljQfDbXiZqqbWJXpcSUw=
> =3UPM
> -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----
>
>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 11-21-2007, 05:17 PM
Jeff
 
Default recommend a flatbed scanner

Neil Watson wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 10:35:01AM +0100, Lars Scheuer wrote:
>> stay away from Canon LIDE 20. It will be recognised by SANE but as
>> soon as you start scanning it won't work. I tried with several Linux
>> distributions and had no luck so far.
>
> I have a LIDE 25 and it works. I bought one on recommendation from
> another Linux mailing list.
>
I have been using my Lide20 on Ubuntu with no problems(except for 7.04)
for 3 years!

--
ubuntu-users mailing list
ubuntu-users@lists.ubuntu.com
Modify settings or unsubscribe at: https://lists.ubuntu.com/mailman/listinfo/ubuntu-users
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:15 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org