Old 12-12-2007, 12:40 PM
Kent West

Default How to start KDE from a console prompt?

Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:

Ron Johnson wrote:

On Tuesday 11 December 2007 08:29:02 pm Ron Johnson wrote:

On 12/11/07 20:20, Michael Pobega wrote:

startx /usr/bin/startkde

Remembering that, I tried "startx startkde", but that bombed. Now I
know why...

Why?

I _think_ Ron is saying that earlier before posting his original
question he had vaguely remembered the need to feed a parameter to
"startx", and had therefore earlier tried "startx startkde", but it
failed. When Michael wrote "startx /usr/bin/startkde", Ron then realized
why his earlier attempt had bombed: he had failed to provide the full
path to "startkde".

At least that's what I took him to be saying. Perhaps he'll jump back in
here and clarify for us.

--
Kent

Old 12-12-2007, 01:12 PM
Ron Johnson

On Wednesday 12 December 2007 07:40:25 am Kent West wrote:
> Hugo Vanwoerkom wrote:
> > Ron Johnson wrote:

> > Why?
>
> I _think_ Ron is saying that earlier before posting his
> original question he had vaguely remembered the need to feed a
> parameter to "startx", and had therefore earlier tried "startx
> startkde", but it failed. When Michael wrote "startx
> /usr/bin/startkde", Ron then realized why his earlier attempt
> had bombed: he had failed to provide the full path to
> "startkde".
>
> At least that's what I took him to be saying. Perhaps he'll
> jump back in here and clarify for us.

That's exactly correct.

Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson, LA USA

"We have the power to do any damn fool thing we want to do, and
we seem to do it about every ten minutes."
Senator J. William Fulbright (D-AR)

Old 12-14-2007, 06:32 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue, Dec 11, 2007 at 06:36:19PM -0800, Andrew Sackville-West wrote:

> startx uses ~/.xinitrc to start up the X session. In case it doesn't
> exist, then debian has some default stuff that starts whatever the
> default window manager is. Look at `update-alternatives --config
> x-window-manager` to set a different window manager as the default.

On my box I have:

---[ begin console paste ]---

think:~# update-alternatives --config x-window-manager

There are 7 alternatives which provide `x-window-manager'.

Selection Alternative
1 /usr/bin/icewm
2 /usr/bin/icewm-experimental
3 /usr/bin/xfwm4
*+ 4 /usr/bin/openbox
5 /usr/bin/openbox-session
6 /usr/bin/kwin
7 /usr/bin/startfluxbox

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:
think:~# update-alternatives --config x-session-manager

There are 3 alternatives which provide `x-session-manager'.

Selection Alternative
1 /usr/bin/icewm-session
2 /usr/bin/icewm-session-experimental
*+ 3 /usr/bin/xfce4-session

Press enter to keep the default[*], or type selection number:
think:~#

---[ end console paste ]----

On 'startx' xfce4 is started so it seems the 'x-session-manager' takes
precedence over the 'x-window-manager'. This is on a sid box (and has
been like this for a while).

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 12-15-2007, 07:07 AM
Andrei Popescu

I think this belongs on the list (sorry for the top post).

Regards,
Andrei