Old 11-18-2007, 04:31 AM
Scott Lair

Default help exporting files from guest to host in QEMU....

Michael Fothergill wrote:

> Dear Debianists,
>
> I have a few questions about QEMU. I posted a query a while back about loading cdrom image files into Windows 98 (guest) running under QEMU with Debian Etch r1 (AMD64) as the underlying OS.
>
> I followed the helpful recipes and I loaded some software on to Windows 98 and was happy with the result.
>
> Thanks for the help.
>
> There is one thing that I am not so sure about however.
>
> How are you supposed to export files out of the Windows 98 guest environment in to the Linux file tree?
>
> If you were to copy the file to a “cdrom” in the guest environment would that end up producing an iso file in the Linux environment?
>
> Or is there a simpler method to get files out of the guest environment to the host one?
>
> There are ways to write files from the guest environment to the Linux disk but there is a warning about data corruption if you aren't careful.
>
> I am looking for a relatively safe and simple way to get files created with software in the guest environment into the host area.
>
> Comments and suggestions welcome.
>
> Regards
>
> Michael Fothergill

> Feel like a local wherever you go.
> http://www.backofmyhand.com

Not sure exactly how QEMU works - haven't had time, but under a VMware - XP setup I just ran samba on debian,
shared a path and went over to windows to use the share under network neighborhood. Then you can copy files
back and forth very easily. I haven't had any trouble with this setup yet.

HTH,

Scott Lair

Old 11-18-2007, 08:47 AM
Tobias Nissen

Hi Michael!

Michael Pobega wrote:
[QEMU]
>> Or is there a simpler method to get files out of the guest
>> environment to the host one?
[...]
> Well, I'm not sure if this would work, but can't you just loop mount
> the image file as you would an ISO type file? Again, I'm not sure if
> it works, but it's definitely worth a try.

I'm using a raw disk image for my DOS-VM, which I can mount with these
mount-options:

/home/foo/dos.img /mnt/vm auto
rw,loop=/dev/loop0,offset=32256,noauto,user 0 0

I'm not sure if the offset is needed. But when I had the same problem
a while ago, I stumpled across lomount[0], which seems to be a part of
Xen. All it did with my raw DOS-image, was mounting it with the above
options, so I assumed lomount redundant for my case. YMMV. Maybe for a
FAT32 filesystem the options are different.

If you mount an image this way, be aware that changes the guest makes
are not immediately available. I'm working around that by remounting the
image everytime I need a "new" file.

HTH!
Tobias

[0] http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraXenQuickstartFC5