Old 10-10-2008, 06:39 AM
Andrei Popescu

Default Debian Stole My Name!

On Fri,10.Oct.08, 01:50:56, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I'm setting up a new Etch system and just got to the point where it asks
> me for a username. All my life I've used my first name, Hal, as a
> username (although in all lower case).
>
> Etch won't let me do this. I did it in Sarge, did it in earlier
> versions, did it in Mandrake, Redhat, and also use it in Ubuntu. And
> now Etch won't let me use "hal" as a login name.

It works on sid (and probably also lenny):

# LANG=C adduser hal
Adding user `hal' ...
Adding new group `hal' (1002) ...
Adding new user `hal' (1002) with group `hal' ...
Creating home directory `/home/hal' ...
Copying files from `/etc/skel' ...
Enter new UNIX password:
Retype new UNIX password:
passwd: password updated successfully
Changing the user information for hal
Enter the new value, or press ENTER for the default
Full Name []:
Room Number []:
Work Phone []:
Home Phone []:
Other []:
Is the information correct? [Y/n]
#

What is the error message you get?

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Juha Tuuna

Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I'm setting up a new Etch system and just got to the point where it asks
> me for a username. All my life I've used my first name, Hal, as a
> username (although in all lower case).
>
> Etch won't let me do this. I did it in Sarge, did it in earlier
> versions, did it in Mandrake, Redhat, and also use it in Ubuntu. And
> now Etch won't let me use "hal" as a login name.

I'm running Etch and it lets me add user hal:
% sudo adduser hal
Adding user `hal' ...
Adding new group `hal' (1003) ...
Adding new user `hal' (1003) with group `hal' ...
Creating home directory `/home/hal' ...
Copying files from `/etc/skel' ...
New UNIX password:

% getent passwd
hal:x:1003:1003::/home/hal:/bin/bash

Uname says:
Linux viilipytty 2.6.22-4-amd64 #1 SMP Tue Feb 12 10:29:27 UTC 2008 x86_64
GNU/Linux

and /etc/debian_version: 4.0

Tried that on another Etch box. Works ok, too. :/

--
Juha Tuuna

Old 10-10-2008, 06:52 AM
Hal Vaughan

On Friday 10 October 2008, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Fri,10.Oct.08, 01:50:56, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > I'm setting up a new Etch system and just got to the point where it
> > asks me for a username. All my life I've used my first name, Hal,
> > as a username (although in all lower case).
> >
> > Etch won't let me do this. I did it in Sarge, did it in earlier
> > versions, did it in Mandrake, Redhat, and also use it in Ubuntu.
> > And now Etch won't let me use "hal" as a login name.
>
> It works on sid (and probably also lenny):
>
> # LANG=C adduser hal
> Adding user `hal' ...
> Adding new group `hal' (1002) ...
> Adding new user `hal' (1002) with group `hal' ...
> Creating home directory `/home/hal' ...
> Copying files from `/etc/skel' ...
> Enter new UNIX password:
> Retype new UNIX password:
> passwd: password updated successfully
> Changing the user information for hal
> Enter the new value, or press ENTER for the default
> Full Name []:
> Room Number []:
> Work Phone []:
> Home Phone []:
> Other []:
> Is the information correct? [Y/n]
> #
>
> What is the error message you get?

I'm not using adduser, which may be part of the issue. I'm doing an
install through netboot and I run into this when it asks me for a user
besides root to create an account. I use "hal" as the username and the
response is that I can't use it because it's reserved for the system.

Maybe it's used during setup and eventually removed at the end of the
install.

When I get it running, I'll see if I can add a user with my name with
adduser.

Hal

Old 10-10-2008, 08:01 AM
paragasu

maybethe debian installer do not permit you to use the username hal.
Create any user. after the installer finish.. you can login and create
user 'Hal' with
adduser..

Old 10-10-2008, 01:06 PM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 04:01:59PM +0800, paragasu wrote:
> maybethe debian installer do not permit you to use the username hal.
> Create any user. after the installer finish.. you can login and create
> user 'Hal' with
> adduser..

hal package have changed ...
hal (0.5.7.1-1) unstable; urgency=low

[ Sjoerd Simons ]
* New upstream release
* debian/hal.postinst,debian/hal.postrm,debian/rules: Rename the hal daemon
user to haldaemon (was hal)
-- Sjoerd Simons <sjoerd@debian.org> Tue, 15 Aug 2006 15:45:35 +0200

Old 10-10-2008, 11:05 PM
Michael Biebl

Osamu Aoki wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, Oct 10, 2008 at 04:01:59PM +0800, paragasu wrote:
>> maybethe debian installer do not permit you to use the username hal.
>> Create any user. after the installer finish.. you can login and create
>> user 'Hal' with
>> adduser..
>
> hal package have changed ...
> hal (0.5.7.1-1) unstable; urgency=low
>
> [ Sjoerd Simons ]
> * New upstream release
> * debian/hal.postinst,debian/hal.postrm,debian/rules: Rename the hal daemon
> user to haldaemon (was hal)

If debian-installer is still reserving the name "hal" for the hal
package, then this should be fixed within debian-installer.

Please file a bug against the "debian-installer" package.

Cheers,
Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?

Old 10-11-2008, 01:39 AM