Old 10-10-2008, 05:50 AM
Hal Vaughan

Default Debian Stole My Name!

I'm setting up a new Etch system and just got to the point where it asks
me for a username. All my life I've used my first name, Hal, as a
username (although in all lower case).

Etch won't let me do this. I did it in Sarge, did it in earlier
versions, did it in Mandrake, Redhat, and also use it in Ubuntu. And
now Etch won't let me use "hal" as a login name.

I've been told that the system should use something like "hal-daemon"
instead, but it's not letting me do this.

Unfortunately, this is going to be a server on this LAN, including
providing NIS for all my other systems.

This stinks.

It royally stinks. You'd think someone would have seen this as an issue
when setting it up. Hal isn't the most common name, but it's not
uncommon and it's certainly a name most geeks are aware of (hey, if the
haven't seen 2001, then they're not true geeks!).

Hal

Old 10-10-2008, 06:00 AM
Lachlan

2008/10/10 Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com>:
> I'm setting up a new Etch system and just got to the point where it asks
> me for a username. All my life I've used my first name, Hal, as a
> username (although in all lower case).
>
> Etch won't let me do this. I did it in Sarge, did it in earlier
> versions, did it in Mandrake, Redhat, and also use it in Ubuntu. And
> now Etch won't let me use "hal" as a login name.
>
> I've been told that the system should use something like "hal-daemon"
> instead, but it's not letting me do this.
>
> Unfortunately, this is going to be a server on this LAN, including
> providing NIS for all my other systems.
>
> This stinks.
>
> It royally stinks. You'd think someone would have seen this as an issue
> when setting it up. Hal isn't the most common name, but it's not
> uncommon and it's certainly a name most geeks are aware of (hey, if the
> haven't seen 2001, then they're not true geeks!).
>

> Hal

are you able to set the real name to Hal and then set the username as
something else?
from gdm i can log is as either lachlan (real name) or user (username)