Old 10-10-2008, 03:12 AM
Joe Vender

Default Question about Etch Installation

If you are going to install Debian Etch 4.04a (i386) from a complete DVD
set and stick with the default installer choices ("Standard System" and
"Desktop Environment"), will all of the required packages/files and
their dependencies be found on the first DVD, or will you need #2 and/or
#3 DVD as well?

I've noticed that the installation routine doesn't give you the
opportunity to do a "apt-cdrom add" to add the #2 and #3 DVDs to the
repository list before starting the file copy process. So, I'm assuming
that, for a default install, every required file and package is located
on the first DVD. In fact, since the installer doesn't have a step to
add the 2nd and 3rd DVD repositories before starting the package
installation process, am I correct in assuming that all needed
packages/files and their dependencies are contained entirely on the
first DVD for any combination of installation options available during
the step where you select what type of system you're installing
("Standard System","Desktop Environment", the various server
installation choices, etc.)?

I'd appreciate it if a debian developer or someone working on the
installer system could clear this up for me and answer my question.
Thanks.

-Joe

Old 10-10-2008, 04:57 AM
Lalit Dhiri

Unless you have no internet connection on this computer there is little point in using a DVD to install Etch. It's probably better to install using the latest net install CD the minimum and then get the extras you need using apt-get.

For example I installed from the Etchnhalf net install CD (no default package selection was installed) http://www.uk.debian.org/News/2008/20080726

Once the install was complete I added the extra packages I thought I needed on my desktop:

apt-get update
apt-get upgrade (kernel update if available)

apt-get install x-window-system-core gnome-desktop-environment gparted powersaved synaptic

Some people would choose gnome-core but for me that installs too few packages meaning I have to do more work later. After above is installed I reboot and install the extra drivers (ATI driver, ALSA driver), software I need for a more complete system. Overall you will download much less then a DVD installer as you'll only be downloading what you and have an up to date system when complete.

There should be info regarding the packages included in the DVD in the ISO and possibly in the install documentation and Wiki http://wiki.debian.org/

--
Lalit Dhiri
Linux the root to no GPFs

#3 DVD as well?

I've noticed that the installation routine doesn't give you the
opportunity to do a "apt-cdrom add" to add the #2 and #3 DVDs to the
repository list before starting the file copy process. So, I'm assuming
that, for a default install, every required file and package is located
on the first DVD. In fact, since the installer doesn't have a step to
add the 2nd and 3rd DVD repositories before starting the package
installation process, am I correct in assuming that all needed
packages/files and their dependencies are contained entirely on the
first DVD for any combination of installation options available during
the step where you select what type of system you're installing
("Standard System","Desktop Environment", the various server
installation choices, etc.)?

When I installed Etch from the fist DVD it installed the complete desktop
system. Don't know about the server choices. It also presented the
opportunity to scan additional disks.

--
Bob Holtzman
Your mail is being read by tight lipped