-   -   Upgrading after a fresh install. (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/173742-upgrading-after-fresh-install.html)

Daryl Styrk 10-09-2008 11:07 PM

Upgrading after a fresh install.

I've just completed a fresh install of Lenny. I am trying to understand
why some update are not showing in aptitude.

The normal aptitude update/safe-upgrade/full-upgrade shows none.

Update manager has stuck the notification in the tray telling me of 2.
If I look for them with with synaptic, or apt-get they are visible. If
I open the update manager it also shows no updates available. However,
it seems I can install the 2 updates by right clicking the notification
in the tray. (this was news to me)

Being that is a fresh install I would like to dedicate package
management to aptitude this go around.

Am I simply overlooking something obvious?

fwiw the two packages are esound-clients and perl-doc

Daniel Burrows 10-10-2008 03:19 AM

Upgrading after a fresh install.

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 07:07:15PM -0400, Daryl Styrk <darylstyrk@gmail.com> was heard to say:
> I've just completed a fresh install of Lenny. I am trying to understand
> why some update are not showing in aptitude.
>
> The normal aptitude update/safe-upgrade/full-upgrade shows none.

Are they shown as being "kept back", or does it just not show them
at all?

Can you install them individually using "aptitude install"?

Daniel

"Mariusz Sielicki" 10-10-2008 10:38 AM

2008/10/10 Daryl Styrk <darylstyrk@gmail.com>:
> I've just completed a fresh install of Lenny. I am trying to understand
> why some update are not showing in aptitude.
>
> The normal aptitude update/safe-upgrade/full-upgrade shows none.
>
> Update manager has stuck the notification in the tray telling me of 2.
> If I look for them with with synaptic, or apt-get they are visible. If
> I open the update manager it also shows no updates available. However,
> it seems I can install the 2 updates by right clicking the notification
> in the tray. (this was news to me)
>
> Being that is a fresh install I would like to dedicate package
> management to aptitude this go around.
>
> Am I simply overlooking something obvious?
>
> fwiw the two packages are esound-clients and perl-doc

Mayby you used to install Debian netinstall disc?
In that way of instalation all packages are up-to-date.

Regards.
Mariusz