Old 10-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Shawn Willden

Default Where to get a Sarge ISO

With Lenny inches from release and Etch time-tested and stable, it's an odd
thing to want, but I need to install Sarge.

I just took over management of a production server running Sarge, and I need
to upgrade it to Etch, at least, in order to get it back on a supported
platform. Unfortunately, I have no idea if the upgrade will break the
application it's running, so I want to install Sarge in a VM, copy the
application files over, verify the app works correctly and then upgrade to
Etch so I can not only test the app on Etch, but also the upgrade process as
well (I'm sure the upgrade works in general, I'm wondering if it'll break
this app).

Unfortunately, the only Sarge ISO I have is an old netinst ISO, and it no
longer appears to work. It seems to be trying to download a kernel and is
unable to find one on the repository servers.

A full ISO would work fine, I'm sure, but I don't have one and I can't find
one (or even MD5 sums) on any of the official mirrors. I can find a couple
around the net but they're from random sites and I don't like installing
stuff from sites I have no reason to trust. Ideally, I'd like to find an
official place to download an ISO. Failing that, I'd like to find an
official list of Sarge MD5 sums, so I can check the random stuff I'm
downloading. Another alternative would be to find some way to make my
netinst ISO work.

Any and all suggestions are welcome.

Oh, I need the i386 arch.

Thanks,

Shawn.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:10 PM
"Jose G. Lopez"

Shawn Willden escribió:
> With Lenny inches from release and Etch time-tested and stable, it's an odd
> thing to want, but I need to install Sarge.
>
> I just took over management of a production server running Sarge, and I need
> to upgrade it to Etch, at least, in order to get it back on a supported
> platform. Unfortunately, I have no idea if the upgrade will break the
> application it's running, so I want to install Sarge in a VM, copy the
> application files over, verify the app works correctly and then upgrade to
> Etch so I can not only test the app on Etch, but also the upgrade process as
> well (I'm sure the upgrade works in general, I'm wondering if it'll break
> this app).
>
> Unfortunately, the only Sarge ISO I have is an old netinst ISO, and it no
> longer appears to work. It seems to be trying to download a kernel and is
> unable to find one on the repository servers.
>
> A full ISO would work fine, I'm sure, but I don't have one and I can't find
> one (or even MD5 sums) on any of the official mirrors. I can find a couple
> around the net but they're from random sites and I don't like installing
> stuff from sites I have no reason to trust. Ideally, I'd like to find an
> official place to download an ISO. Failing that, I'd like to find an
> official list of Sarge MD5 sums, so I can check the random stuff I'm
> downloading. Another alternative would be to find some way to make my
> netinst ISO work.
>
> Any and all suggestions are welcome.
>
> Oh, I need the i386 arch.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Shawn.

You will find it here:
http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/debian-installer/

Cheers

Old 10-09-2008, 10:35 PM
Shawn Willden

On Thursday 09 October 2008 04:10:34 pm Jose G. Lopez wrote:
> You will find it here:
> http://www.debian.org/releases/sarge/debian-installer/

Okay, now I feel stupid. I looked all over debian.org, and spent an hour with
Google, and never found that.

Ah, well.... thanks!

Shawn.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:04 PM
Ron Johnson

[...]

Couldn't you clone the disk(s) using PartImage?

http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page

Oh, I need the i386 arch.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.