Old 10-09-2008, 02:12 PM
Bret Busby

Default NX5000 network card problem

Hello.

I have an HP/Compaq NX5000 laptop, that I dual boot into Windows XP Pro
and Debian 4.0.

The network access is okay with Windows XP, but works only
intermittently with Debian.

I am wondering whether something is wrong with the network card driver
in Debian 4.0.

I do not know how to find what is the network card driver (the name of
the driver software) that is being used by Debian 4.0.

From the PCI listing in the KDE Info Center, the Ethernet card is shown as

"Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM4401-B0 100Base-TX (rev 02) "
and with
"Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 64, IRQ 209".

From the Interrupts table in the KDE Info Center, the line shows

"209 47745 IO-APIC-level eth1"

The Network Interfaces table in the KDE Info Center, shows three lines
of text; one for each of eth0, eth1, and lo.

Please advise how I can resolve the problem between Debian 4.0 and the
network card, as, that the network card seems to work without any
problems with Windows XP, appears to show that the network card is not
faulty.

Thank you in anticipation.

Bret Busby
Armadale
West Australia

you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
Chapter 28 of Book 1 of
"The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy:
A Trilogy In Four Parts",
written by Douglas Adams,
published by Pan Books, 1992
.................................................. ..

Old 10-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu,09.Oct.08, 22:12:14, Bret Busby wrote:

> Please advise how I can resolve the problem between Debian 4.0 and the
> network card, as, that the network card seems to work without any problems
> with Windows XP, appears to show that the network card is not faulty.

Please post your /etc/network/interfaces and also the output of

dmesg | grep eth0

might be interesting.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-09-2008, 06:57 PM
Ron Johnson

Please advise how I can resolve the problem between Debian 4.0 and the
network card, as, that the network card seems to work without any problems
with Windows XP, appears to show that the network card is not faulty.

Please post your /etc/network/interfaces and also the output of

dmesg | grep eth0

might be interesting.

As would looking into /etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules to
see if you have entries for both eth0 and eth1. (They'll key on MAC
address, so you should be able to figure out which entry to delete.)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson