Old 10-09-2008, 11:49 AM
Adam Hardy

Default nVidia TLS silent killer

I had abject problems with the nVidia non-free driver over the last 10 days but
I think I finally have sorted them out now - almost.

I can't use "nv" because my Java IDE started crashing on a frequent basis, so I
decided to install and compile the non-free packaged driver.

This was a story in itself, and after getting that sorted, I thought I'd be OK,
but I guess it built up a lethal mixture on my system of old drivers and modules
- suffice it to say I had kernel 2.6.26 from backports and I had to ditch that,
and I had used nvidia-installer from nvidia.com and had ditched that, following
some instructions on the net which left the non-free package uninstallable, so
my system's not exactly pristine, but it's back in a state where everything
appears OK.

So after compiling and configuring nvidia-glx, I'd get xorg up and running with
the Driver "nvidia" in xorg.conf, but each reboot led back to xorg failing to start.

I followed the latest wikis and install instructions and still, each reboot
killed it. I couldn't find any reference to a similar problem with a solution
that helped, and the logs on my system reported no errors - all fine and dandy
and then EOF.

I've used dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg so often I've memorised the key strokes.
I also used nvidia-xconfig. I've played around with lspci and lsmod and
"modprobe -r" and mesa-utils and all that jazz trying to figure out my issue.

What finally sorted it out for me was /etc/default/nvidia-glx - I really wish
I'd seen that sooner.

Now I can use xorg with the nVidia driver if I boot to a CL and then run

sudo /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx stop
sudo /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx start
startx

with the /etc/default/nvidia-glx USE_TLS=1 setting.

I guess I'm ranting, but does anyone know what I can do to fix this last thing?

Thanks
Adam

ps what is Thread Local Storage?

Old 10-09-2008, 12:54 PM
Adam Hardy

[...]

when I started to have nvidia problems on my Dell box, I found this
answer:
run this from a text login shell ( alt-F1)

# sgfxi -c

of course you need sgfxi installed..
see:
http://techpatterns.com/forums/about933.html

Forgot to mention, this is on etch/stable.

From that site, quote: Debian sid and testing systems only offiicially
supported, but feel free to try it with Etch/stable and report if it works or not.

I figure at this point, I'd be pushing my luck.

regards
Adam

Old 10-09-2008, 01:47 PM
Paul Cartwright

> > when I started to have nvidia problems on my Dell box, I found this
> > answer:
> > run this from a text login shell ( alt-F1)
> >
> > # sgfxi -c
> >
> > of course you need sgfxi installed..
> > see:
> > http://techpatterns.com/forums/about933.html
>
> Forgot to mention, this is on etch/stable.
>
> From that site, quote: Debian sid and testing systems only
> offiicially supported, but feel free to try it with Etch/stable and
> report if it works or not.
>
> I figure at this point, I'd be pushing my luck.

I am running Lenny, 2.6.26-1-686 #1 SMP
and it works fine.

--
Paul Cartwright