Old 10-09-2008, 09:46 AM
Adrian Chapela

Default How about MySQL in 64bit Debian?

hhding.gnu escribió:

Hi list,

How about MySQL server in 64bit Debian?
Is it stable enough for product environment?

Absolutely yes! I have been using since etch and I am very happy with
performance and stability (for me is the same as 32bit version).

I am using for my principal database which has a 200 GB total size ( a
table of 120 GB).

I think it is a good option to have a high performance database.

Regards,
Ding Honghui

Old 10-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Mitja Podreka

hhding.gnu wrote:

Hi list,

How about MySQL server in 64bit Debian?
Is it stable enough for product environment?

Regards,
Ding Honghui

Stable!
Been using it for the last two years for 5000+ users e-learning system
(Moodle).

Regards,
Mitja

Old 10-09-2008, 11:21 AM
"Star Liu"

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Dave Ewart <davee@ceu.ox.ac.uk> wrote:
> On Thursday, 09.10.2008 at 16:57 +0800, hhding.gnu wrote:
>
>> How about MySQL server in 64bit Debian?
>> Is it stable enough for product environment?
>
> Absolutely, yes. I've been using it is since the (unofficial) Sarge
> amd64 era, and have continued with it on Etch.
>
> Its use here has been for large-scale research data, which means that
> some of the database are very large. No problems at all.
>
> We also use PostgreSQL, which I happen to prefer, also no problems.
I'm new to PostgreSQL and MySql, which database server should i use
first? thanks!

--
MY IMs, Welcome to add me as a debian user or a web developer!
(msn) starliu@live.com

Old 10-09-2008, 11:26 AM
Adrian Chapela

Star Liu escribió:

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 5:02 PM, Dave Ewart <davee@ceu.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

On Thursday, 09.10.2008 at 16:57 +0800, hhding.gnu wrote:

How about MySQL server in 64bit Debian?
Is it stable enough for product environment?

Absolutely, yes. I've been using it is since the (unofficial) Sarge
amd64 era, and have continued with it on Etch.

Its use here has been for large-scale research data, which means that
some of the database are very large. No problems at all.

We also use PostgreSQL, which I happen to prefer, also no problems.

I'm new to PostgreSQL and MySql, which database server should i use
first? thanks!

What do you want to do ? Which requisites do you need ?

PostgreSQL is a community only database server and MySQL has a community
and enterprise version (with support and you need to pay for it).

Dave.

Old 10-09-2008, 11:38 AM
"Star Liu"

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 7:26 PM, Adrian Chapela
<achapela.rexistros@gmail.com> wrote:
> Star Liu escribió:

>>> Absolutely, yes. I've been using it is since the (unofficial) Sarge
>>> amd64 era, and have continued with it on Etch.
>>>
>>> Its use here has been for large-scale research data, which means that
>>> some of the database are very large. No problems at all.
>>>
>>> We also use PostgreSQL, which I happen to prefer, also no problems.
>>>

>> I'm new to PostgreSQL and MySql, which database server should i use
>> first? thanks!
>>

> What do you want to do ? Which requisites do you need ?
> PostgreSQL is a community only database server and MySQL has a community and
> enterprise version (with support and you need to pay for it).

I'm a web developer, I have just moved myself from windows platform to
linux platform, so i need a database to replace microsoft sql server.
Is there any difference in code/usage/performance between the
community and enterprise verion of mysql server?
How to compare mysql and postgresql?
thanks!

Old 10-09-2008, 01:08 PM
Dave Ewart

On Thursday, 09.10.2008 at 19:38 +0800, Star Liu wrote:

> >> I'm new to PostgreSQL and MySql, which database server should i use
> >> first? thanks!
> >
> > What do you want to do ? Which requisites do you need ? PostgreSQL
> > is a community only database server and MySQL has a community and
> > enterprise version (with support and you need to pay for it).
>
> I'm a web developer, I have just moved myself from windows platform to
> linux platform, so i need a database to replace microsoft sql server.
> Is there any difference in code/usage/performance between the
> community and enterprise verion of mysql server? How to compare mysql
> and postgresql?

This discussion is a notorious can of worms ;-)

MySQL and PostgreSQL are both good enough for most basic web development
cases, generally speaking. The major differences, in my experience of
using both, are:

- MySQL tends to be used by many out-of-the-box web applications;

- PostgreSQL is generally considered a more robust database, whereas
(certainly in the past) MySQL has had accusations of playing fast and
loose with data integrity on occasions. This may no longer be true;

- MySQL is probably faster for simple largely read-only scenarios,
although this will be implementation- and application-dependent;

- PostgreSQL has a BSD-style license, meaning it can be used in some
situations when MySQL cannot, e.g. when selling/bundling/distributing
an application you have written (This issue is complicated and a gross
simplication: there are no restrictions on actual use, of course);

- etc.

Dave.

Old 10-09-2008, 10:45 PM
"Star Liu"

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 9:08 PM, Dave Ewart <davee@ceu.ox.ac.uk> wrote:

>> > What do you want to do ? Which requisites do you need ? PostgreSQL
>> > is a community only database server and MySQL has a community and
>> > enterprise version (with support and you need to pay for it).
>>
>> I'm a web developer, I have just moved myself from windows platform to
>> linux platform, so i need a database to replace microsoft sql server.
>> Is there any difference in code/usage/performance between the
>> community and enterprise verion of mysql server? How to compare mysql
>> and postgresql?
>
> This discussion is a notorious can of worms ;-)
>
> MySQL and PostgreSQL are both good enough for most basic web development
> cases, generally speaking. The major differences, in my experience of
> using both, are:
>
> - MySQL tends to be used by many out-of-the-box web applications;
>
> - PostgreSQL is generally considered a more robust database, whereas
> (certainly in the past) MySQL has had accusations of playing fast and
> loose with data integrity on occasions. This may no longer be true;
>
> - MySQL is probably faster for simple largely read-only scenarios,
> although this will be implementation- and application-dependent;
>
> - PostgreSQL has a BSD-style license, meaning it can be used in some
> situations when MySQL cannot, e.g. when selling/bundling/distributing
> an application you have written (This issue is complicated and a gross
> simplication: there are no restrictions on actual use, of course);
>
> - etc.
>
> Dave.
thank you, it seems i prefer PostgreSQL