Old 10-09-2008, 07:20 AM
"chinna p"

Default System Hangs

Hi,

I'm using Debian Etch stable 32 bit on Pentium- 4 2.4 GHz, 512* MB* RAM* .

Frequently i'm facing one problem, Display is simply crashing . No mouse/keyborad responce . Other than rebooting no other solution presenlty.

Did any body know possible reason and solution !!!

Old 10-09-2008, 07:25 AM
Manou Rabary

- can you go back in text mode (ctrl + F1)?
- Is there something in logs? Kern.log or syslog or xorg log?

--
Manou Rabary <wolf@rabary.org>

Old 10-09-2008, 11:24 AM
"Star Liu"

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 3:20 PM, chinna p <websterlog@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using Debian Etch stable 32 bit on Pentium- 4 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM .
>
> Frequently i'm facing one problem, Display is simply crashing . No
> mouse/keyborad responce . Other than rebooting no other solution presenlty.
>

> Did any body know possible reason and solution !!!

i think maybe lenny and sid are more stable than etch, just my
personal experience.

--
MY IMs, Welcome to add me as a debian user or a web developer!
(msn) starliu@live.com

Old 10-09-2008, 12:13 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

chinna p escreveu:
> I'm using Debian Etch stable 32 bit on Pentium- 4 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM .
>
> Frequently i'm facing one problem, Display is simply crashing . No
> mouse/keyborad responce . Other than rebooting no other solution
> presenlty.

Could be a hardware problem. Let memtest run for some hours and see if
it catches something.

--
Eduardo M Kalinowski
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br

Old 10-09-2008, 04:19 PM
"Mumia W.."

I'm using Debian Etch stable 32 bit on Pentium- 4 2.4 GHz, 512 MB RAM .

Frequently i'm facing one problem, Display is simply crashing . No
mouse/keyborad responce . Other than rebooting no other solution presenlty.

Did any body know possible reason and solution !!!

Try disabling (temporarily) direct rendering. If I have direct rendering
enabled when the wrong screensaver activates, I get an immediate system
freeze.

To experiment with disabling direct rendering, comment out the line in
/etc/X11/xorg.conf that reads 'Load "dri"'

Old 11-21-2008, 08:11 PM
Jesse Brent Coats

My system freezes and neither Ctl-Alt_Backspace, nor Ctl_Alt_Printscreen
<various keys> doesn't respond. Windows doesn't seem to suffer the same
trouble. On boot, I can enter a utility that displays motherboard and
cpu temps. What are acceptable temps for these components. (someone
had suggested that my system may have been overheated.)
I love Linux, but system freezes are unacceptable.

Old 11-21-2008, 09:01 PM
"Mark Haney"

Jesse Brent Coats wrote:
> My system freezes and neither Ctl-Alt_Backspace, nor Ctl_Alt_Printscreen
> <various keys> doesn't respond. Windows doesn't seem to suffer the same
> trouble. On boot, I can enter a utility that displays motherboard and
> cpu temps. What are acceptable temps for these components. (someone
> had suggested that my system may have been overheated.)
> I love Linux, but system freezes are unacceptable.

Could be the temp. Is this a laptop? Typically on my system I see
between 50 and 63 degrees Centigrade.

However, I don't think this is a temp issue, it sounds to me either
memory (memtest86 might find something) or a video card (or driver).

quadraturae circuli

Mark Haney
Sr. Systems Administrator
ERC Broadband
(828) 350-2415

Call (866) ERC-7110 for after hours support