Old 10-09-2008, 05:39 AM
T o n g

Default X-keyboard configuration

Hi,

The keyboard under Xorg does not work as expected on my newly installed
lenny -- modification keys don't work any more.

For example, I can't even switch virtual consoles. Ctrl-Alt-F1 gives a
beep and ";5P". Shift-Fx keys don't work in my editors either.

I have no clue what could be wrong, but I'm sure it is not /etc/X11/
xorg.conf, because restoring the previous good working copy does not
help.

Any way I can check?

thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Old 10-10-2008, 04:09 AM
"Girish Kulkarni"

On Thu, Oct 9, 2008 at 11:09 AM, Tong wrote:
> For example, I can't even switch virtual consoles. Ctrl-Alt-F1 gives a
> beep and ";5P". Shift-Fx keys don't work in my editors either.
>
> Any way I can check?

Have you tried xev (1) and xmodmap (1)? xev will tell you if the keys
are working well at all; xmodmap will help you correct the problem if
they aren't.

HTH,
Girish.

--
Girish Kulkarni - Allahabad, India - http://girish.50webs.com

Old 10-10-2008, 04:48 AM
T o n g

On Thu, 09 Oct 2008 05:39:59 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> The keyboard under Xorg does not work as expected on my newly installed
> lenny -- modification keys don't work any more.
>
> For example, I can't even switch virtual consoles. Ctrl-Alt-F1 gives a
> beep and ";5P". Shift-Fx keys don't work in my editors either.

I should have checked the screen output, not just the Xorg.0.log. It
turns out that I don't have the write access to /var/tmp.

chmod 1777 /var/tmp

solved the problem.