-   -   /dev/shm lost (http://www.linux-archive.org/debian-user/173212-dev-shm-lost.html)

T o n g 10-09-2008 03:42 AM

/dev/shm lost

Hi,

I used to have the tmpfs /dev/shm, but lost it due to recent update.

I'm wondering who is in charge of creating it -- so as to get it back.

thanks

--
Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/

Florian Kulzer 10-11-2008 06:55 PM

/dev/shm lost

On Thu, Oct 09, 2008 at 03:42:01 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I used to have the tmpfs /dev/shm, but lost it due to recent update.
>
> I'm wondering who is in charge of creating it -- so as to get it back.

/etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh

This script is linked in /etc/rcS.d on my Sid system:

$ find -L /etc/rc?.d -samefile /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh -exec ls -l {} ;
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 26 2007-03-17 20:40 /etc/rcS.d/S04mountdevsubfs.sh -> ../init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh

Florian |

T o n g 10-13-2008 04:30 AM

/dev/shm lost

On Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:55:55 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

> /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh

THANKS A LOT!

T o n g 10-22-2008 04:16 AM

/dev/shm lost

n Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:55:55 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:

>> I used to have the tmpfs /dev/shm, but lost it due to recent update.
>>
>> I'm wondering who is in charge of creating it -- so as to get it back.
>
> /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh

hmm... I have that file and still don't have /dev/shm.

Trying to find the reason myself, I found the real reason that I don't
have /dev/shm:

% domount tmpfs shmfs /dev/shm tmpfs -onosuid,nodev
Files under mount point '/dev/shm' will be hidden. (warning).

Why is that? How can I let the script not hide files under /dev/shm?
(I tried to search the string "Files under mount point '/dev/shm' will be
hidden", but didn't get much good hits.)

Thanks

Florian Kulzer 10-22-2008 06:47 PM

/dev/shm lost

On Wed, Oct 22, 2008 at 04:16:08 +0000, T o n g wrote:

> n Sat, 11 Oct 2008 20:55:55 +0200, Florian Kulzer wrote:
>
> >> I used to have the tmpfs /dev/shm, but lost it due to recent update.
> >>
> >> I'm wondering who is in charge of creating it -- so as to get it back.
> >
> > /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
>
> hmm... I have that file and still don't have /dev/shm.

The file has to be linked somewhere so that it is called during boot:

$ find -L /etc/rc?.d -samefile /etc/init.d/mountdevsubfs.sh
/etc/rcS.d/S04mountdevsubfs.sh

> Trying to find the reason myself, I found the real reason that I don't
> have /dev/shm:
>
> % domount tmpfs shmfs /dev/shm tmpfs -onosuid,nodev
> Files under mount point '/dev/shm' will be hidden. (warning).
>
> Why is that?

That message means that /dev/shm was already existing and that there was
at least one file in it. Mounting the new shmfs will hide all files
under the mountpoint; that happens whenever you mount something on a
non-empty directory.

> How can I let the script not hide files under /dev/shm?

How exactly did you assert that /dev/shm was not existing already? The
script seems to have found it and even some files in it. You can run the
same check:

$ source /lib/init/mount-functions.sh
$ is_empty_dir /dev/shm
$ echo $?
1

The non-zero exit status means "false", i.e. the directory is not empty.

Florian |