Old 10-08-2008, 09:53 PM
ReikoShea

Default Configuring sudo by file, not by visudo etc

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 21:19 +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to configure sudo by file, not by visudo etc?
>
> I know that visudo provides security checks, parses for errors, and
> protects against multiple edits of the file. But each time I just copy
> and paste what I prepared into it. I'm wondering if I can omit this extra
> step entires, since I have a working sudoers file already.
>
> thanks
>
> --
> Tong (remove underscore(s) to reply)
> http://xpt.sourceforge.net/techdocs/
> http://xpt.sourceforge.net/tools/

Most definitely can just overwrite /etc/sudoers instead of using visudo.
Not recommended, but does work.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:09 AM
T o n g

On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 16:53:34 -0500, ReikoShea wrote:

>> Is it possible to configure sudo by file, not by visudo etc?
>>
> Most definitely can just overwrite /etc/sudoers instead of using visudo.
> Not recommended, but does work.

Thanks. It works. Don't know why it didn't work previously. Do I have to
reboot?

Thanks

Old 10-09-2008, 04:40 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Thu,09.Oct.08, 03:09:43, T o n g wrote:
> On Wed, 08 Oct 2008 16:53:34 -0500, ReikoShea wrote:
>
> >> Is it possible to configure sudo by file, not by visudo etc?
> >>
> > Most definitely can just overwrite /etc/sudoers instead of using visudo.
> > Not recommended, but does work.
>
> Thanks. It works. Don't know why it didn't work previously. Do I have to
> reboot?

Why would you have to do something like this? Sometimes you have to
restart the program/service if it doesn't support reloading the
configuration, but usually a full restart is not needed very often.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-09-2008, 06:24 PM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 09:19:51PM +0000, T o n g wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is it possible to configure sudo by file, not by visudo etc?
>
> I know that visudo provides security checks, parses for errors, and
> protects against multiple edits of the file. But each time I just copy
> and paste what I prepared into it. I'm wondering if I can omit this extra
> step entires, since I have a working sudoers file already.

The "right" way would be to create a temporary script to edit that file
and then pass it as EDITOR.

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend