Old 10-08-2008, 09:46 PM
Ron Johnson

Default recompiling the debian kernel..getting wierd messege.

On 10/08/08 16:23, Michael Habashy wrote:

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 4:52 PM, Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net
<mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net>> wrote:

On 10/08/08 15:11, Michael Habashy wrote:

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Andrei Popescu
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com <mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
<mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com>>> wrote:

On Wed,08.Oct.08, 15:16:41, Michael Habashy wrote:
> Newbie quetion here - I just tried following the tutorial
on how
to compile
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian

> It worked great - till i had to initialize with the new
kernel...I keep
> getting these messeges:
>

> Waiting 16 seconds for /*sys/block/sdb/sdb1/dev* to show up.
/bin/cat:
> /*sys/block/
> sdb/sdb1/dev*: *No such file or directory*. *Device* /*
> sys/block/sdb/sdb1/dev
>

> does anyone have an idea ???

What .config did you use? If you just made small
modifications it would
be nice to write which ones (you can use diff).

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well
enough.

How can i do this ???
i over written the .config file that was there with the one that
is provided by the 2.6.18.6 <http://2.6.18.6> <http://2.6.18.6>
kernel by default. i just did minor modifications like add sata
driver support because it was not enabled.

The kernel has changed quite a lot since .18.

If you want to use the existing 2.6.18 .config file (which *is*
reasonable!), you need to run
$ make clean
$ make oldconfig

This takes and updates the .config file with all the stuff that's
been added since 2.6.18, while prompting you to choose what "new
stuff" you want added to your kernel.

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.

Jefferson LA USA

hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson

thanks - will try this - but the tutorial says to remove the line

# CONFIG_DEFCONFIG_LIST="/lib/modules/$UNAME_RELEASE/.config"

out of the config file -- is this necessary ??????

There *is* such a line in my /usr/src/linux/.config, but there is no
corresponding /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/.config.

So, I have no definitive answer to your question.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:11 PM
"Michael Habashy"

* *On 10/08/08 15:11, Michael Habashy wrote:

* * * *On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Andrei Popescu

* * * *<andreimpopescu@gmail.com <mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com>

* * * *<mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com

* * * *<mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com>>> wrote:

* * * * * *> Newbie quetion here - I just tried following the tutorial

* * * *on how

* * * * * to compile

* * * * * *> a debian kernel -

* * * *http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian

* * * * * *>

* * * * * *> It worked great - till i had to initialize with the new

* * * * * kernel...I keep

* * * * * *> getting these messeges:

* * * * * *>

* * * * * *>

* * * * * *> Waiting 16 seconds for /*sys/block/sdb/sdb1/dev* to show up.

* * * * * /bin/cat:

* * * * * *> /*sys/block/

* * * * * *> sdb/sdb1/dev*: *No such file or directory*. *Device* /*

* * * * * *> sys/block/sdb/sdb1/dev

* * * * * *>

* * * * * *>

* * * * * *> does anyone have an idea ???

* * * * * What .config did you use? If you just made small

* * * *modifications it would

* * * * * be nice to write which ones (you can use diff).

* * * * * Regards,

* * * * * Andrei

* * * * * --

[...]

* *"Do not bite at the bait of pleasure till you know there is no

* *hook beneath it." *-- Thomas Jefferson

* *<mailto:debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org> with a subject of

* *<mailto:listmaster@lists.debian.org>

thanks - will try this - but the tutorial says to remove the line

# CONFIG_DEFCONFIG_LIST="/lib/modules/$UNAME_RELEASE/.config"

out of the config file -- is this necessary ??????

There *is* such a line in my /usr/src/linux/.config, but there is no corresponding /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/.config.

So, I have no definitive answer to your question.

--

Ron Johnson, Jr.

Jefferson LA *USA

hook beneath it." *-- Thomas Jefferson

I am sorry - if you follow this tutorial --- http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian

you will see it .

I was referring to the config file located in /boot/config .....

thanks
mjh

Old 10-08-2008, 10:21 PM
Ron Johnson

<mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net <mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net>>>
wrote:

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 3:28 PM, Andrei Popescu
<andreimpopescu@gmail.com
<mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com>
<mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com <mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com>>
<mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com
<mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com>

<mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com
<mailto:andreimpopescu@gmail.com>>>> wrote:

On Wed,08.Oct.08, 15:16:41, Michael Habashy wrote:
> Newbie quetion here - I just tried following the
tutorial
on how
to compile
> a debian kernel -
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian

> It worked great - till i had to initialize with the new
kernel...I keep
> getting these messeges:
>

> Waiting 16 seconds for /*sys/block/sdb/sdb1/dev* to
show up.
/bin/cat:
> /*sys/block/
> sdb/sdb1/dev*: *No such file or directory*. *Device* /*
> sys/block/sdb/sdb1/dev
>

> does anyone have an idea ???

What .config did you use? If you just made small
modifications it would
be nice to write which ones (you can use diff).

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand
it well
enough.
(Albert Einstein)

How can i do this ???
i over written the .config file that was there with the
one that
is provided by the 2.6.18.6 <http://2.6.18.6>
<http://2.6.18.6> <http://2.6.18.6>

kernel by default. i just did minor modifications like
add sata
driver support because it was not enabled.

The kernel has changed quite a lot since .18.

If you want to use the existing 2.6.18 .config file (which *is*
reasonable!), you need to run
$ make clean
$ make oldconfig

This takes and updates the .config file with all the stuff that's
been added since 2.6.18, while prompting you to choose what "new
stuff" you want added to your kernel.

thanks - will try this - but the tutorial says to remove the line

# CONFIG_DEFCONFIG_LIST="/lib/modules/$UNAME_RELEASE/.config"

out of the config file -- is this necessary ??????

There *is* such a line in my /usr/src/linux/.config, but there is no
corresponding /lib/modules/$(uname -r)/.config.

So, I have no definitive answer to your question.

I am sorry - if you follow this tutorial ---
http://www.howtoforge.com/kernel_compilation_debian

you will see it .

I was referring to the config file located in /boot/config .....

But it gets copied to /usr/src/linux/, and that's the file that
"make" uses to build the kernel.

Old 10-08-2008, 10:23 PM
Steve Kemp

On Wed Oct 08, 2008 at 17:21:22 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:

> But it gets copied to /usr/src/linux/, and that's the file that "make"
> uses to build the kernel.

If you trimmed your messages, instead of quoting them in their
entirety other people might have the patience to follow what is being
said and offer assistance.

Steve