Old 11-18-2007, 04:17 AM
Serena Cantor

Default strange problem with USB mouse

I use sarge and its default kernel 2.4 and USB mouse.

USB mouse works fine with hotplug package. But after I remove hotplug, USB mouse refuse to work
even after I follow instruction on page below:

http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html

Mostly I modprobe input, hid and mousedev.
Then I use "cat /dev/input/mice" to test it.

Old 11-18-2007, 11:53 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 09:17:52PM -0800, Serena Cantor wrote:
> I use sarge and its default kernel 2.4 and USB mouse.
>
> USB mouse works fine with hotplug package. But after I remove hotplug, USB mouse refuse to work
> even after I follow instruction on page below:
>
> http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html
>
> Mostly I modprobe input, hid and mousedev.
> Then I use "cat /dev/input/mice" to test it.

OK. Then what's the question? What error messages are there?

Doug.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:16 PM
Serena Cantor

I remove hotplug,
modprobe input hid and mousedev, all seems OK.
then I use "cat /dev/input/mice" to test mouse.
The usb mouse does not respond to movement.

Old 11-18-2007, 01:25 PM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

Don't top post.
On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 06:16:52AM -0800, Serena Cantor wrote:
> --- "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
> > On Sat, Nov 17, 2007 at 09:17:52PM -0800, Serena Cantor wrote:
> > > I use sarge and its default kernel 2.4 and USB mouse.
> > >
> > > USB mouse works fine with hotplug package. But after I remove hotplug, USB mouse refuse to
> > work
> > > even after I follow instruction on page below:
> > >
> > > http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html
> > >
> > > Mostly I modprobe input, hid and mousedev.
> > > Then I use "cat /dev/input/mice" to test it.
> >
> > OK. Then what's the question? What error messages are there?
> >
>> I remove hotplug,
> modprobe input hid and mousedev, all seems OK.
> then I use "cat /dev/input/mice" to test mouse.
> The usb mouse does not respond to movement.

Does X work? I've never used cat to test a mouse. I'd use a terrier.

Doug.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:59 PM
Serena Cantor

X does not work.
It seems I have to solve it on my own.
I'll sign off the list soon.

Old 11-19-2007, 01:55 AM
"Douglas A. Tutty"

What part of don't top post don't you understand?
On Sun, Nov 18, 2007 at 01:59:47PM -0800, Serena Cantor wrote:
> X does not work.
> It seems I have to solve it on my own.
> I'll sign off the list soon.
>
> --- "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:
>
> > Don't top post.

> > > modprobe input hid and mousedev, all seems OK.
> > > then I use "cat /dev/input/mice" to test mouse.
> > > The usb mouse does not respond to movement.
> >
> > Does X work? I've never used cat to test a mouse. I'd use a terrier.

Fine, but what is the problem. You have a working mouse. You remove
the hotplug package, and the mouse stops working. Not mouse, no X.

Simple.

Why did you remove hotplug? Why not reinstall it?

You still haven't given us any error messages. What does startx give
you when you say "X does not work"?

You don't have to solve this on your own but you have to give us some
details to work with.

Doug.

Old 11-19-2007, 09:11 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Serena Cantor wrote:

X does not work.
It seems I have to solve it on my own.
I'll sign off the list soon.

--- "Douglas A. Tutty" <dtutty@porchlight.ca> wrote:

Don't top post.
I use sarge and its default kernel 2.4 and USB mouse.

USB mouse works fine with hotplug package. But after I remove hotplug, USB mouse refuse to

work

even after I follow instruction on page below:

http://www.linux-usb.org/USB-guide/x194.html

Mostly I modprobe input, hid and mousedev.
Then I use "cat /dev/input/mice" to test it.

OK. Then what's the question? What error messages are there?

I remove hotplug,

modprobe input hid and mousedev, all seems OK.
then I use "cat /dev/input/mice" to test mouse.
The usb mouse does not respond to movement.

Does X work? I've never used cat to test a mouse. I'd use a terrier.

Serena, did you explain before why you use Sarge and kernel 2.4? Could
you say it again please?

Hugo

Mon Nov 19 16:30:02 2007