Old 10-08-2008, 04:10 PM
"Mathieu Malaterre"

Default What does it takes to bring a system down to its knee ?

Hi there,

I wrote a little program that parse recursively all file found
within a toplevel directory. As soon as the process start my whole X
session (KDE/debian stable) becomes completely unresponsive. I manage
-painfully- to start a top to monitor my process:

It is returning:

21007 mmalater 18 0 118m 62m 1120 D 3 1.6 1:14.08 gdcmscanner

AFAIK that does not seems to neither: memory hungry nor process
hungry. Is this correct ? If so this means my system is getting slower
because of the disk operation, right ? Any tool to monitor that or
track down why my system is so unresponsive ?

This is a 4 processors machine with 4Gb or RAM (Linux zorglub
2.6.18-6-amd64 #1 SMP Mon Jun 16 22:30:01 UTC 2008 x86_64 GNU/Linux).
Filesystem is LVM over ext3fs (I think, can't remember).

thanks

--
Mathieu

Old 10-08-2008, 04:22 PM
Stefan Sassenberg

Hi Mathieu,

Mathieu Malaterre schrieb:

21007 mmalater 18 0 118m 62m 1120 D 3 1.6 1:14.08 gdcmscanner

AFAIK that does not seems to neither: memory hungry nor process
hungry. Is this correct ? If so this means my system is getting slower
because of the disk operation, right ? Any tool to monitor that or
track down why my system is so unresponsive ?

Have a look at the wait percentage (wa) at the top of the top output. It
is high when the system waits for the disks (or net?)

Stefan