Old 10-08-2008, 03:31 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default exim4 mainlog & msglog permissions?

After finally understanding the exim4 authentication setup - as root I
am able to send email to my other mail box - I tried to send mail as tom
and from mutt. No go.

First, there were messages that exim4 could not write to the files
/var/log/exim4/mainlog and paniclog - permission denied.

I added tom to the Debian-exim group and the mail group. This had no
effect. I then changed the file permissions from 640 to 666. That
resolved the mainlog and paniclog problem.

Next there was a message the exim4 could not write to the directory
/var/spool/exim4/msglog - permission denied. Again I changed the
directory permissions to 666.

Now there was no protest but the messages were not received by my other
mail box. Investigating I found that there were entries in mainlog
stating the messages were frozen and messages in the msglog directory
with 640 permissions and tom:tom ownership. Earlier frozen messages
(from attempts to send mail as root while the authentication setup was
incorrect) are owned by Debian-eximebian-exim.

I don't understand this at all. It seems to me that the standard
installation should such that normal users can send and receive mail and
root is prevented from doing so. What I have encountered is the other
way around and I have yet find all the changes - or the best practice
changes - which allow a normal user to send mail.

Tom