Old 10-08-2008, 03:12 PM
michael

Default what is Debian way to move a user's home directory?

If I have a user with home dir /here/user and wish to move their home
dir to /somewhereelse/user then is there a 'good way' of doing so or is
a) mv /here/user /somewhereelse/user
b) change /here/user to /somewhereelse/user for user entry
in /etc/passwd
sufficient?

thanks, Michael

Old 10-08-2008, 04:20 PM
michael

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 11:22 +0000, Roberto D'Oliveira wrote:
> 2008/10/9 michael <cs@networkingnewsletter.org.uk>:
> > If I have a user with home dir /here/user and wish to move their home
> > dir to /somewhereelse/user then is there a 'good way' of doing so or is
> > a) mv /here/user /somewhereelse/user
> > b) change /here/user to /somewhereelse/user for user entry
> > in /etc/passwd
> > sufficient?
> >
> > thanks, Michael
> >

> > --
>
> usermod -m -d newlocation user

brill... I thought there would be something! my quick search was
obviously too quick!