FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-08-2008, 02:01 PM
Ding Honghui
 
Default Any suggest on NFS server in product environment?

hi list,

Any suggest on NFS server in product environment?
nfs-user-server or nfs-kernel-server?
We need stable nfs server.

Regards,
Ding Honghui


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-08-2008, 07:15 PM
Andrei Popescu
 
Default Any suggest on NFS server in product environment?

On Wed,08.Oct.08, 22:01:36, Ding Honghui wrote:
> hi list,
>
> Any suggest on NFS server in product environment?
> nfs-user-server or nfs-kernel-server?
> We need stable nfs server.

Hi,

I have absolutely zero experience with NFS, but reading the description
for both I would never consider using nfs-user-server on a production
server.

Regards,
Andrei
--
If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.
(Albert Einstein)
 
Old 10-09-2008, 12:33 AM
Andrew Reid
 
Default Any suggest on NFS server in product environment?

On Wednesday 08 October 2008 10:01, Ding Honghui wrote:
> hi list,
>
> Any suggest on NFS server in product environment?
> nfs-user-server or nfs-kernel-server?
> We need stable nfs server.

I use nfs-kernel-server, I use it to run an 8 TB primary server and
a 4-ish TB secondary server. It's used to export the filesystems for
diskless nodes for our cluster, and for user home directories for
about forty users, of whom about ten are fairly heavy users.

When we run into performance problems, we are usually disk-bound,
and sometimes network-bound, when (for instance) someone decides to do
multiple sequential "grep" operations on a multi-gigabyte file
over NFS.

Having said that, I've never actually used nfs-user-server,
because nfs-kernel-server has always worked fine.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-09-2008, 10:53 AM
Alex Samad
 
Default Any suggest on NFS server in product environment?

On Wed, Oct 08, 2008 at 08:33:55PM -0400, Andrew Reid wrote:
> On Wednesday 08 October 2008 10:01, Ding Honghui wrote:
> > hi list,
> >
> > Any suggest on NFS server in product environment?
> > nfs-user-server or nfs-kernel-server?
> > We need stable nfs server.
>
> I use nfs-kernel-server, I use it to run an 8 TB primary server and
> a 4-ish TB secondary server. It's used to export the filesystems for
> diskless nodes for our cluster, and for user home directories for
> about forty users, of whom about ten are fairly heavy users.
>
> When we run into performance problems, we are usually disk-bound,
> and sometimes network-bound, when (for instance) someone decides to do
> multiple sequential "grep" operations on a multi-gigabyte file
> over NFS.

what options are you using, nfs4 or 3, udp or tcp any r/wsize async/sync
?



>
> Having said that, I've never actually used nfs-user-server,
> because nfs-kernel-server has always worked fine.
>
> -- A.
> --
> Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net
>
>
> --
> To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
> with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
>
>

--
"As far as the legal hassling and wrangling and posturing in Florida, I would suggest you talk to our team in Florida led by Jim Baker."

- George W. Bush
11/30/2000
Crawford, TX
 
Old 10-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Paulo Silva
 
Default Any suggest on NFS server in product environment?

Qua, 2008-10-08 ąs 22:01 +0800, Ding Honghui escreveu:
> hi list,
>
> Any suggest on NFS server in product environment?
> nfs-user-server or nfs-kernel-server?
> We need stable nfs server.
>
> Regards,
> Ding Honghui

I would recommend nfs-kernel-server (I don't know anyone who uses the
other one).

Also you should read (if you haven't done so) the Linux NFS HOWTO[1],
it's great if you start having problems or if you want to optimize it's
performance.

[1] http://nfs.sourceforge.net/nfs-howto/
--
Paulo Silva <paulojjs@gmail.com>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-10-2008, 09:51 PM
Andrew Reid
 
Default Any suggest on NFS server in product environment?

On Thursday 09 October 2008 06:53, Alex Samad wrote:

> > When we run into performance problems, we are usually disk-bound,
> > and sometimes network-bound, when (for instance) someone decides to do
> > multiple sequential "grep" operations on a multi-gigabyte file
> > over NFS.
>
> what options are you using, nfs4 or 3, udp or tcp any r/wsize async/sync
> ?

We just run NFS3, mostly for legacy reasons, I haven't really investigated
NFS4, but I like what I've heard. Most user directories are mounted
sync, it seems to me like the only safe way. There are some size
adjustments also, but I've forgotten what they are or what motivated
them. The NFS performance HOWTO is useful for setting these things.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 07:31 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org