Old 10-08-2008, 12:02 AM
John Lindsay

Default icedove

I have just switched over to Debian. I like it a lot better than
openSuse and my wife likes it as well. In icedove, if i click on a url
it opens up the default web browser. I would much prefer it to open up
the Iceweasel browser which is my preferred browser. Where in icedove
can I change it to open iceweasel?

thanks

John

Old 10-08-2008, 12:14 AM
Robert Hodgins

> In icedove, if i click on a url
> it opens up the default web browser. I would much prefer it to open up
> the Iceweasel browser which is my preferred browser. Where in icedove
> can I change it to open iceweasel?

Actually, you can change it from the desktop. In the menu bar, click on
Desktop, then Preferences, then Preferred Applications. Under Web
Browser, you can select Iceweasel to be your preferred browser.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:21 AM
andy baxter

John Lindsay wrote:
I have just switched over to Debian. I like it a lot better than
openSuse and my wife likes it as well. In icedove, if i click on a url
it opens up the default web browser. I would much prefer it to open up
the Iceweasel browser which is my preferred browser. Where in icedove
can I change it to open iceweasel?

thanks

John

You need to change the links in /etc/alternatives. The relevant ones are:

x-www-browser
and x-www-browser.1.gz (if you want the manual page to work)

ask back if you don't know how to do this.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:22 AM
Rich Healey

John Lindsay wrote:
> I have just switched over to Debian. I like it a lot better than
> openSuse and my wife likes it as well. In icedove, if i click on a url
> it opens up the default web browser. I would much prefer it to open up
> the Iceweasel browser which is my preferred browser. Where in icedove
> can I change it to open iceweasel?
>
> thanks
>
> John

Hi John,

This was actually just discussed on this list, but in the context of pidgin.

I'd suggest searching the archives, but since you're new and I'm in a
good mood:
On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 2:17 PM, Diego Martínez Castañeda <n1mh@n1mh.org>
wrote:
> I suppose you're in GNOME, isn't it? Then, go to
> System->Preferences->Favorite Applications and select yours. I'm not
> using GNOME in English so, my translation could be wrong.
>
> diego

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 3:07 PM, Jaime Tarrant
<jaime.tarrant.l@tarsysco.com> wrote:
> I tend to set this using:
>
> update-alternatives --config x-www-browser
>
> This will show a numbered list of installed browsers, from which you can
> select the number corresponding to your desired web browser. From memory, you
> need to run this as root.
>
> Although, as others have pointed out, some apps hold app specific settings,
> thus they might also need to be changed.
>
> Kind Regards,
> Jaime

Kind Regards, and happy Debian'ing

Rich

- --
Rich Healey - iTReign .'`. / healey.rich@gmail.com
Developer / Systems Admin : :' : / healey.rich@itreign.com
AIM: richohealey33 `. `' / richo@psych0tik.net
MSN: bitchohealey@hotmail.com `- / richohealey@hellboundhackers.org

Old 10-08-2008, 01:06 AM
"Star Liu"

On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 8:02 AM, John Lindsay <jclind@sentex.net> wrote:
> I have just switched over to Debian. I like it a lot better than openSuse
> and my wife likes it as well. In icedove, if i click on a url it opens up
> the default web browser. I would much prefer it to open up the Iceweasel
> browser which is my preferred browser. Where in icedove can I change it to
> open iceweasel?
>
> thanks
>
> John

i just got the solution on this maillist, so i transfer it to you

In debian sid, System-Preferences-Prefered Applications, Internet, Iceweseal

--
MY IMs, Welcome to add me as a debian user or a web developer!
(msn) starliu@live.com

Old 10-08-2008, 01:22 AM
John Lindsay

Star Liu wrote:

I have just switched over to Debian. I like it a lot better than openSuse
and my wife likes it as well. In icedove, if i click on a url it opens up
the default web browser. I would much prefer it to open up the Iceweasel
browser which is my preferred browser. Where in icedove can I change it to
open iceweasel?

thanks

John

i just got the solution on this maillist, so i transfer it to you

In debian sid, System-Preferences-Prefered Applications, Internet, Iceweseal

Thank you all that have replied. looks like I'll have to spend some time
going through the archives to see whats there. My problem has been
solved thanks to Rich Healey who directed me to
system-preferences-preferred apps etc. Again, many thanks for the replies.

John