Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 PM
Tom Allison

Default Amazon Web Services

I hope there is someone on this list who is currently using a Debian
installation as an AWS AMI. I have some "dumb" questions not all of
which are applicable to Debian:

First, is billing based on $0.10 per uptime hour or $2.40 a day or is
this some CPU time basis (much less than 86400 per day)

If I pull an AMI from the AWS repository, there appears to be a nice
Etch, is it possible to update/modify the running instance and store
that back as the AMI for the next time I want to use it?

how do I do that stuff? is it all possible via web pages and/or SSH?

This would be a box that is hanging on the internet.
AWS mentions things like elastic IP address -- experience with DNS
entries for hosting a static web site? Can this actually work for email
delivery?

How do you ensure that these systems are running?
I'm thinking of actually putting a mail server in this cloud, but I'm
not sure that I can count on it running 24x7. Can I? How do I know
what I'm "down"?

I'm just trying to figure out a cheap alternative to running a server in
my house 24x7 generating heat, noise, and stuck on a dynamic IP address.

The alternative is a VPS hosted box. But I want to ask about this one
first.

Many thanks!

Old 10-08-2008, 09:54 PM
Frank Lanitz