Old 10-07-2008, 08:57 PM
Jean Hoderd

Default Reading old cryptoloop encrypted files with Lenny

Hallo,

Many years ago I used to run Redhat 7.3, and I encrypted some
files using the cryptoloop API that existed back then. Now
I run Debian Lenny and I find myself needing to retrieve some
of those files. Does someone know if the modern dm-crypt
infrastructure is backwards compatible with the old cryptoloop?
I already gave it a try, but was unsuccessful. If this is at
all possible, I reckon that some magic must be given in
cryptsetup parameters. Does someone know which?

Thank you a lot for your help!
Jean

Old 10-08-2008, 04:12 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Tue, Oct 07, 2008 at 13:57:51 -0700, Jean Hoderd wrote:
> Hallo,
>
> Many years ago I used to run Redhat 7.3, and I encrypted some
> files using the cryptoloop API that existed back then. Now
> I run Debian Lenny and I find myself needing to retrieve some
> of those files. Does someone know if the modern dm-crypt
> infrastructure is backwards compatible with the old cryptoloop?
> I already gave it a try, but was unsuccessful. If this is at
> all possible, I reckon that some magic must be given in
> cryptsetup parameters. Does someone know which?

According to the package descriptions, it should be loop-aes-utils and
loop-aes-modules-<your kenel version>. (I never used it myself, though.)

Florian |