Old 10-07-2008, 09:17 PM
cobra

Default Debian Installation Impossible on SATA HDD

Hi all,

i'm new here and english is not my native language.
I hope to find some help about an unsolved issue concerning the impossible
installation of Debian on SATA hard disk.
I'm trying to install linux Debian 4,0 (Etch Stable distrib) on my new hard
disk SATA and more precisely on a partition of 200Gio.

Here some details of my HDD:
-Manufacturer: Western Digital
Type: Barracuda
-HDD SATA
-capacity: 500Gio
-Partions: 4 (Debian, Mandriva, Swap, Data)

The Debian installation is impossible from a bootable DVD, network
(Netinst), live cd...I've re-downloaded an iso image from the official ftp
web site and same result.
During installation, language can be choosen, network interface is
recognized and configured but IS STOPPED at hard disk detection and
partitionning step.
Indeed, my SATA hard disk is not detected/recognized and consequently
installation fails. Installer propose a list of "driver" to select but no
one is working in my case. I've contacted Western Digital but they cannot
solve my problem.

PS: With tis HDD SATA, installation was successfull with Mandriva2008,
Ubuntu 8,0. But NOT DEBIAN????

Please, could you help me to fix this issue?

Sincerly,

Old 10-07-2008, 09:21 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

cobra wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> i'm new here and english is not my native language.
> I hope to find some help about an unsolved issue concerning the impossible
> installation of Debian on SATA hard disk.
> I'm trying to install linux Debian 4,0 (Etch Stable distrib) on my new hard
> disk SATA and more precisely on a partition of 200Gio.

[...]
> Indeed, my SATA hard disk is not detected/recognized and consequently
> installation fails. Installer propose a list of "driver" to select but no
> one is working in my case. I've contacted Western Digital but they cannot
> solve my problem.
>
> PS: With tis HDD SATA, installation was successfull with Mandriva2008,
> Ubuntu 8,0. But NOT DEBIAN????
>
> Please, could you help me to fix this issue?

You might want to try the new Etch-and-a-half installer, which contains
a newer kernel, and hopefully support for your sata controller.

And please do not hijack threads, if you want to post a new message, use
the "New message" button, not the "Reply" one.

--
Paranoid schizophrenics outnumber their enemies at least two to one.

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Old 10-08-2008, 10:33 AM
Lalit Dhiri

Hi,

the distributoins you refer to are likely to have much newer kernels then Debian Etch. You should start by trying Etchnhalf which has a newer kernel http://www.uk.debian.org/News/2008/20080726 This should be available as a net install from a local Debian mirror. You could also try the Testing distribution if you have very new hardware.

In addition once you have the latest Etch you should try changing the SATA settings in the BIOS and change the mode options to see if this helps booting> installing.

It will be good if you can provide information regarding the hardware you have eg SATA controller, mainboard etc. So someone can advise if there are drivers available that can be set during the install process.

--
Lalit Dhiri
Linux the root to no GPFs

Old 10-09-2008, 09:18 PM

Hi,

thanks a lot for your response. You are right, i equiped recently my PC with
latest new hardware. I will download and test asap installation of Etch&half
distrib you recommand and i'll keep you informed (to help others also). If ok,
i'll configure correctly my mailbox.

Best Regards,