Old 10-07-2008, 09:09 PM
Aniruddha

Default How do I prevent Grub from getting automagically updated?

Every time a new kernel gets installed, my menu.lst gets updated.
Problem is, that it always points to the wrong hard drive. Therefor I
would like to stop Grub from updating automagically. How can I achieve
this?

Aniruddha

Old 10-07-2008, 09:15 PM
David Sanders

On Tuesday 07 October 2008 05:09:28 pm Aniruddha wrote:
> Every time a new kernel gets installed, my menu.lst gets updated.
> Problem is, that it always points to the wrong hard drive. Therefor I
> would like to stop Grub from updating automagically. How can I achieve
> this?
>

> --
> Regards,
>
> Aniruddha

Better to edit menu.lst and put the correct hard drive in the # groot= line.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:44 AM
"Mumia W.."

Every time a new kernel gets installed, my menu.lst gets updated.
Problem is, that it always points to the wrong hard drive. Therefor I
would like to stop Grub from updating automagically. How can I achieve
this?

You can add a boot stanza after the end of the "automagic kernels list";
that stanza won't be changed by the update-grub script.

Read "man update-grub" and "info grub"

Old 10-08-2008, 05:25 AM
Aniruddha

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 19:44 -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> On 10/07/2008 04:09 PM, Aniruddha wrote:
> > Every time a new kernel gets installed, my menu.lst gets updated.
> > Problem is, that it always points to the wrong hard drive. Therefor I
> > would like to stop Grub from updating automagically. How can I achieve
> > this?
> >

> You can add a boot stanza after the end of the "automagic kernels list";
> that stanza won't be changed by the update-grub script.
>
> Read "man update-grub" and "info grub"

Thanks for the help. I already use that. That's why I don't want any
additional entries added to my grub.conf.

Aniruddha

Old 10-08-2008, 05:28 AM
Aniruddha

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 17:15 -0400, David Sanders wrote:
> On Tuesday 07 October 2008 05:09:28 pm Aniruddha wrote:
> > Every time a new kernel gets installed, my menu.lst gets updated.
> > Problem is, that it always points to the wrong hard drive. Therefor I
> > would like to stop Grub from updating automagically. How can I achieve
> > this?
> >

> > --
> > Regards,
> >
> > Aniruddha
>
> Better to edit menu.lst and put the correct hard drive in the # groot= line.

I tried that once, it didn't seem to work. Anyhow I prefer to be in
control of my grub.conf. Manually adding boot entries works best for me.
Is it all possible to turn this feature off?

Aniruddha

Old 10-08-2008, 06:19 AM
Ron Johnson

On 10/08/08 00:28, Aniruddha wrote:

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 17:15 -0400, David Sanders wrote:

On Tuesday 07 October 2008 05:09:28 pm Aniruddha wrote:

Every time a new kernel gets installed, my menu.lst gets updated.
Problem is, that it always points to the wrong hard drive. Therefor I
would like to stop Grub from updating automagically. How can I achieve
this?

Aniruddha

Better to edit menu.lst and put the correct hard drive in the # groot= line.

I tried that once, it didn't seem to work. Anyhow I prefer to be in
control of my grub.conf. Manually adding boot entries works best for me.
Is it all possible to turn this feature off?

Do you use raw device names or labels/UUIDs?

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-08-2008, 06:57 AM
dulev

> On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 19:44 -0500, Mumia W.. wrote:
> > On 10/07/2008 04:09 PM, Aniruddha wrote:
> > > Every time a new kernel gets installed, my menu.lst gets updated.
> > > Problem is, that it always points to the wrong hard drive. Therefor I
> > > would like to stop Grub from updating automagically. How can I
> > > achieve this?
> > >

> > You can add a boot stanza after the end of the "automagic kernels
> > list"; that stanza won't be changed by the update-grub script.
> >
> > Read "man update-grub" and "info grub"
> >

> Thanks for the help. I already use that. That's why I don't want any
> additional entries added to my grub.conf.

Try man kernel-img.conf

regards

Old 10-08-2008, 09:19 AM
Aniruddha

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 01:19 -0500, Ron Johnson wrote:
> On 10/08/08 00:28, Aniruddha wrote:

> >> Better to edit menu.lst and put the correct hard drive in the # groot= line.
> >>

> > I tried that once, it didn't seem to work. Anyhow I prefer to be in
> > control of my grub.conf. Manually adding boot entries works best for me.
> > Is it all possible to turn this feature off?
>
> Do you use raw device names or labels/UUIDs?
>
> --
I use disklabels because udev keep changing the harddrive name :0

Aniruddha

Old 10-08-2008, 09:21 AM
Aniruddha

On Wed, 2008-10-08 at 08:57 +0200, dulev wrote:

> > > You can add a boot stanza after the end of the "automagic kernels
> > > list"; that stanza won't be changed by the update-grub script.
> > >
> > > Read "man update-grub" and "info grub"
> > >

> > Thanks for the help. I already use that. That's why I don't want any
> > additional entries added to my grub.conf.
>
> Try man kernel-img.conf
>
> regards

$ man kernel-img.conf
No manual entry for kernel-img.conf

I can't find a package kernel-img.conf either?!

Aniruddha

Old 10-08-2008, 10:11 AM
dulev

> > > Thanks for the help. I already use that. That's why I don't want any
> > > additional entries added to my grub.conf.
> >
> > Try man kernel-img.conf
> >
> > regards
> >

> $ man kernel-img.conf
> No manual entry for kernel-img.conf
>
> I can't find a package kernel-img.conf either?!

It is a part of kernel-package.

apt-get install kernel-package

regards