Old 10-07-2008, 02:20 PM
lachlan

Default kernel 2.6.27

does anyone know if 2.6.27 will make it into lenny?

my wireless is a iwl5100 (intel wireless link 5100) and i haven't had
any luck with 2.6.26-1

as far as firmware in /lib and lame attempts at loading modules i'm lost
on it so i'm hoping that 27 is my saviour

Old 10-07-2008, 03:07 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Wed,08.Oct.08, 00:20:31, lachlan wrote:
> does anyone know if 2.6.27 will make it into lenny?
>
> my wireless is a iwl5100 (intel wireless link 5100) and i haven't had
> any luck with 2.6.26-1
>
> as far as firmware in /lib and lame attempts at loading modules i'm lost
> on it so i'm hoping that 27 is my saviour

AFAIU the plan is to release with .26. 2.6.27 will probably be available
in unstable and testing immediately after the release, so a backport
will be your best bet.

If you can't wait until then, you can get the sources from kernel.org
and compile yourself. If you use the Debian Way (tm) it shouldn't be too
hard.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-07-2008, 06:28 PM
Winfried Tilanus

On 10/07/2008 Andrei Popescu wrote:
> > my wireless is a iwl5100 (intel wireless link 5100) and i haven't had
> > > any luck with 2.6.26-1
> > >
> > > as far as firmware in /lib and lame attempts at loading modules i'm lost
> > > on it so i'm hoping that 27 is my saviour
>
> AFAIU the plan is to release with .26. 2.6.27 will probably be available
> in unstable and testing immediately after the release, so a backport
> will be your best bet.
>
> If you can't wait until then, you can get the sources from kernel.org
> and compile yourself. If you use the Debian Way (tm) it shouldn't be too
> hard.

No need to compile all of the kernel, you can blend in the drivers from
the development tree quite easally as modules, using compat-wireless.
See: http://linuxwireless.org/

Pro: the development at the (Intel) wireless drivers is quite active,
there are many improvements.

Con: there are still bugs, in some versions more than in others.

best wishes,

Winfried

--
http://www.tilanus.com
xmpp:winfried@jabber.xs4all.nl

Old 10-08-2008, 06:29 AM
Celejar

On Tue, 7 Oct 2008 18:07:11 +0300
Andrei Popescu <andreimpopescu@gmail.com> wrote:

> If you can't wait until then, you can get the sources from kernel.org
> and compile yourself. If you use the Debian Way (tm) it shouldn't be too
> hard.

Even if one doesn't use the Debian way, it's really quite simple. I've
often had trouble using kernel-package on vanilla source trees (from
wireless-testing.git), and now I just use ordinary 'make', 'make
modules_install install', 'update-initramfs', and 'update-grub'. [I
call initramfs in a simple little script to get the kernel version from
${KERNEL_ROOT}/include/config/kernel.release; there's likely a better
way to do this, but this works fine.]

> Andrei

Celejar