Old 10-07-2008, 11:59 AM
"Neo Li"

Default Communication between VMed Debian and Windows

Hi all!

Since I'm new to Linux, I'm still in
the migration process. Now I use VMware running Debian.

After I can do most of jobs with it that Windows
can do I'll switch to it and drop Windows. (to use it in VMware at most)

I think I should do more and more jobs in Debian so I'll get used to
it. Here's my question: How can I get a copy of those pdf files stored in
Windows so I can read them in Linux?

Old 10-07-2008, 07:41 PM
michael

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 04:59 -0700, Neo Li wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Since I'm new to Linux, I'm still in the migration process. Now I use
> VMware running Debian.
>
> After I can do most of jobs with it that Windows can do I'll switch to
> it and drop Windows. (to use it in VMware at most)
>
> I think I should do more and more jobs in Debian so I'll get used to
> it. Here's my question: How can I get a copy of those pdf files stored
> in Windows so I can read them in Linux?

either drag them from Windows to the Linux VM, or set up shared folders

Old 10-07-2008, 08:32 PM
"H.S."

Neo Li wrote:
> Hi all!
>
> Since I'm new to Linux, I'm still in the migration process. Now I use
> VMware running Debian.
>
> After I can do most of jobs with it that Windows can do I'll switch to
> it and drop Windows. (to use it in VMware at most)
>
> I think I should do more and more jobs in Debian so I'll get used to it.
> Here's my question: How can I get a copy of those pdf files stored in
> Windows so I can read them in Linux?

One method is to install WinSCP on your Windows machine and then
transfer file from there to your VM machine (which should have ssh
server installed and running).

The other method is to setup shared folders in your Windows machine (as
the other poster suggested).

Old 10-08-2008, 08:12 AM
Sharninder

> Since I'm new to Linux, I'm still in the migration process. Now I use VMware
> running Debian.
>
> After I can do most of jobs with it that Windows can do I'll switch to it
> and drop Windows. (to use it in VMware at most)
>
> I think I should do more and more jobs in Debian so I'll get used to it.
> Here's my question: How can I get a copy of those pdf files stored in
> Windows so I can read them in Linux?

If you have Vmware tools installed you should be able to simple drag
and drop the files from windows to the VM, or else you can set up a
shared folder, use WinSCP, use ftp, set up Samba or use any other
usual method you can come up with.

--
Sharninder
http://nomadicrider.com/