Old 10-07-2008, 11:08 AM
"Joost Kraaijeveld"

Default Lenny: 30 secs boot delay udev????

Hi,

When I boot my laptop there is a 30 secs boot delay during which nothing happens on my system: I have looked with bootchart and during those 30 secs there is no harddisk activity, no processor activity.

The processes that are running during those 30 secs are
init
s05ude
udevadm
udevd
kthreadd
khelper
kpsmouses
iwl3945* (3 things)

Is this normal (30 secs of do-nothing) and can I do something about it to shorten my startup time?

TIA

Joost

Old 10-07-2008, 12:20 PM
Ron Johnson

On 10/07/08 06:08, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

Hi,

When I boot my laptop there is a 30 secs boot delay during which

> nothing happens on my system: I have looked with bootchart and
> during those 30 secs there is no harddisk activity, no processor
> activity.

The processes that are running during those 30 secs are
init

s05ude
udevadm
udevd

kthreadd
khelper
kpsmouses
iwl3945* (3 things)

Maybe it's trying to detect a non-existant wireless network? Or
find some other bit of non-existent h/w?

I'd look in /etc/udev/rules.d.

Is this normal (30 secs of do-nothing) and can I do something
about it to shorten my startup time?

It sure doesn't happen on my system!

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-07-2008, 01:38 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-10-07 13:08 +0200, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

> Hi,
>
> When I boot my laptop there is a 30 secs boot delay during which nothing happens on my system: I have looked with bootchart and during those 30 secs there is no harddisk activity, no processor activity.
>
> The processes that are running during those 30 secs are
> init
> s05ude
> udevadm
> udevd
> kthreadd
> khelper
> kpsmouses
> iwl3945* (3 things)
>
> Is this normal (30 secs of do-nothing) and can I do something about it to shorten my startup time?

No, this is not normal. But it happened to me as well when I upgraded
my kernel to 2.6.24.

IIRC the easiest solution is to move
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistent-net.rules out of the way and reboot.
For more details look for "wlan0_rename 30 seconds delay" in your
favorite search engine.

I don't remember the details, but this will lead you to some informative
pages. Apparently many Ubuntu users had suffered from the same problem.

Sven

Old 10-08-2008, 05:22 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Ron Johnson wrote:

On 10/07/08 06:08, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

Hi,

When I boot my laptop there is a 30 secs boot delay during which

> nothing happens on my system: I have looked with bootchart and
> during those 30 secs there is no harddisk activity, no processor
> activity.

The processes that are running during those 30 secs are init
s05ude
udevadm udevd
kthreadd
khelper
kpsmouses
iwl3945* (3 things)

Maybe it's trying to detect a non-existant wireless network? Or find
some other bit of non-existent h/w?

I'd look in /etc/udev/rules.d.

Is this normal (30 secs of do-nothing) and can I do something
about it to shorten my startup time?

It sure doesn't happen on my system!

I use a 10 second delay on my system to enable recognition of the USB
drives, which takes 10 seconds.

In older initramfs-tools packages (Sid) I had to put the wait in myself.
If I did not there would be a kernel panic because the root filesystem
wasn't around. Recently I noticed that initramfs is very good and waits
for the recognition to occur. During the wait there is no visible activity.

But looking at initramfs and understanding it is no easy task...

Hugo

Old 10-08-2008, 07:03 PM
Ron Johnson

On 10/07/08 06:08, Joost Kraaijeveld wrote:

Hi,

When I boot my laptop there is a 30 secs boot delay during which

> nothing happens on my system: I have looked with bootchart and
> during those 30 secs there is no harddisk activity, no processor
> activity.

The processes that are running during those 30 secs are init
s05ude
udevadm udevd
kthreadd
khelper
kpsmouses
iwl3945* (3 things)

Maybe it's trying to detect a non-existant wireless network? Or find
some other bit of non-existent h/w?

I'd look in /etc/udev/rules.d.

Is this normal (30 secs of do-nothing) and can I do something
about it to shorten my startup time?

It sure doesn't happen on my system!

I use a 10 second delay on my system to enable recognition of the USB
drives, which takes 10 seconds.

In older initramfs-tools packages (Sid) I had to put the wait in myself.
If I did not there would be a kernel panic because the root filesystem
wasn't around. Recently I noticed that initramfs is very good and waits
for the recognition to occur. During the wait there is no visible activity.

But looking at initramfs and understanding it is no easy task...

Ah. I roll my own kernels from linux-source-2.6.NN, link in vital
modules like ext3.