Old 10-07-2008, 08:39 AM
"thveillon.debian"

Default Kernel i686 & 4 Gig RAM

Ron Johnson a écrit :

On 10/07/08 03:57, Mark Panen wrote:

Hi

I am running Debian Lenny Testing on my laptop and i see it has kernel
2.6.26-1-686. I would like to install the 32 bit version Debian Lenny
5 (when it is released) on a machine with 4 Gig's of RAM. Will all the
RAM be seen ?

One way to find out would be to try it with a LiveCD.

Maybe what you're looking for is the "bigmem" flavour :

http://packages.debian.org/lenny/linux-image-2.6.26-1-686-bigmem

Just make sure your hardware is Intel PAE compatible.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension

Old 10-07-2008, 09:49 AM
"Mariusz Sielicki"

2008/10/7 Mark Panen <mark.panen@gmail.com>:
> Hi
>
> I am running Debian Lenny Testing on my laptop and i see it has kernel
> 2.6.26-1-686. I would like to install the 32 bit version Debian Lenny
> 5 (when it is released) on a machine with 4 Gig's of RAM. Will all the
> RAM be seen ?
>
> Mark

In Debian Lenny you have kernel with support for more big RAM
(linux-image-2.6.26-1-686-bigmem)

try this solution:
http://knowledgelayer.softlayer.com/questions/294/Debian+isn%27t+showing+all+my+ram!

regards.