Old 10-07-2008, 06:58 AM
J.H.Kim

Default USB memory stick in Etch

Hi, eveyone

I'm using LG X TICK* USB memory stick (1GB) in Etch.
In MS windows the USB memory stick can save 1GB data, but in my etch the device can save only 450MB data.
When over 450MB data is to be copied to that disk, the error message "DISK FULL" is prompted.

Is it driver problem?
How can I fix it?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:23 PM
michael

On Tue, 2008-10-07 at 15:58 +0900, J.H.Kim wrote:
> Hi, eveyone
>
> I'm using LG X TICK USB memory stick (1GB) in Etch.
> In MS windows the USB memory stick can save 1GB data, but in my etch
> the device can save only 450MB data.
> When over 450MB data is to be copied to that disk, the error message
> "DISK FULL" is prompted.
> Is it driver problem?
> How can I fix it?

I think we need some more info, eg the result of `mount` and `df` and
`ls -a` on the said drive

Old 10-09-2008, 09:27 AM
J.H.Kim

Thanks for answer.

The result of "df /media/USB*" is

Filesystem********** 1K-blocks***** Used*** Available** Use%**** Mounted on
/dev/sdb1************** 976996*** 914420**** 62576 * * * 94%****** /media/USB DISK

But when the /media/USB DISK directory is seen on File Manager,
the size of the contents in /media/USB DISK is 350MB, which is almost same on MS Windows.
I wish to know why "df" measures the size of the disk 914MB and File Manager measures the size of same disk 350MB differently.

Old 10-09-2008, 01:09 PM
michael

On Thu, 2008-10-09 at 18:27 +0900, J.H.Kim wrote:
> Thanks for answer.
>
> The result of "df /media/USB*" is
>
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use%
> Mounted on
> /dev/sdb1 976996 914420 62576
> 94% /media/USB DISK
>
> But when the /media/USB DISK directory is seen on File Manager,
> the size of the contents in /media/USB DISK is 350MB, which is almost
> same on MS Windows.
> I wish to know why "df" measures the size of the disk 914MB and File
> Manager measures the size of same disk 350MB differently.

a) please don't cc me - I read the list
b) please don't top post

So, back to your question:
> I'm using LG X TICK USB memory stick (1GB) in Etch.
> In MS windows the USB memory stick can save 1GB data, but in my etch
> the device can save only 450MB data.
> When over 450MB data is to be copied to that disk, the error message
> "DISK FULL" is prompted.
> Is it driver problem?
> How can I fix it?

You seem to be saying, `df` gives the correct info for your USB drive
stick whereas File Manager doesn't Given there is more than 350 MB on
the stick is File Manager also not giving all the correct files (and
sizes)? I mean as it is now with the 900(ish) MB already on the stick -
what does File Manager report? And what is the output from (presuming
you have cd into the top level directory of the USB stick drive)
i) du -sm
ii) ls -altR

Old 10-09-2008, 04:03 PM
J.H.Kim

a) please don't cc me - I read the list

b) please don't top post

-> I'm sorry.

So, back to your question:

> I'm using LG X TICK *USB memory stick (1GB) in Etch.

> In MS windows the USB memory stick can save 1GB data, but in my etch

> the device can save only 450MB data.

> When over 450MB data is to be copied to that disk, the error message

> "DISK FULL" is prompted.

> Is it driver problem?

> How can I fix it?

You seem to be saying, `df` gives the correct info for your USB drive

stick whereas File Manager doesn't Given there is more than 350 MB on

the stick is File Manager also not giving all the correct files (and

sizes)? I mean as it is now with the 900(ish) MB already on the stick -

what does File Manager report? And what is the output from (presuming

you have cd into the top level directory of the USB stick drive)

i) du -sm

ii) ls -altR

-> I think File Manager (or "du", "ls") gives the correct information on the size of USB disk contents, and "df" displays the usage of the disk as double. After copying file of which size is 440MB around, the result of "df", "du", "ls" is like this :

frog@frog1120:/media/USB DISK$ df /media/USB*
Filesystem********** 1K-blocks***** Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/sdb1************** 976996*** 945752**** 31244* 97% /media/USB DISK

frog@frog1120:/media/USB DISK$ du -s

443576* .

frog@frog1120:/media/USB DISK$ du -sm
434**** .

frog@frog1120:/media/USB DISK$ ls -altR
.:
total 443580
drwx------ 2 frog frog***** 4096 2008-10-09 23:59 .
-rw------- 1 frog frog 454215680 2008-10-09 23:58 test.tar

drwxr-xr-x 5 root root***** 4096 2008-10-09 23:40 ..

Old 10-09-2008, 04:48 PM
Sven Joachim

On 2008-10-09 18:03 +0200, J.H.Kim wrote:

> frog@frog1120:/media/USB DISK$ df /media/USB*
> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
> /dev/sdb1 976996 945752 31244 97% /media/USB DISK
>
> frog@frog1120:/media/USB DISK$ du -s
> 443576 .
>
> frog@frog1120:/media/USB DISK$ du -sm
> 434 .
>
> frog@frog1120:/media/USB DISK$ ls -altR
> .:
> total 443580
> drwx------ 2 frog frog 4096 2008-10-09 23:59 .
> -rw------- 1 frog frog 454215680 2008-10-09 23:58 test.tar
> drwxr-xr-x 5 root root 4096 2008-10-09 23:40 ..

I suspect the filesystem is corrupt, please run dosfsck on it. FAT32
stores the amount of free space in a special place, and that value is
apparently incorrect.

Sven

Old 10-10-2008, 04:13 AM
J.H.Kim

On 2008-10-09 18:03 +0200, J.H.Kim wrote:

> frog@frog1120:/media/USB DISK$ df /media/USB*

> Filesystem * * * * * 1K-blocks * * *Used Available Use% Mounted on

> /dev/sdb1 * * * * * * * 976996 * *945752 * * 31244 *97% /media/USB DISK

> frog@frog1120:/media/USB DISK$ du -s

> 443576 *.

> frog@frog1120:/media/USB DISK$ du -sm

> 434 * * .

> frog@frog1120:/media/USB DISK$ ls -altR

> .:

> total 443580

> drwx------ 2 frog frog * * *4096 2008-10-09 23:59 .

> -rw------- 1 frog frog 454215680 2008-10-09 23:58 test.tar

> drwxr-xr-x 5 root root * * *4096 2008-10-09 23:40 ..

I suspect the filesystem is corrupt, please run dosfsck on it. *FAT32

stores the amount of free space in a special place, and that value is

apparently incorrect.

dosfsck made my usb stick works fine~
Thank you.

The following message was the result of "dosfsck /dev/sdb1" :

frog1120:/home/frog# dosfsck -a /dev/sdb1

dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN

There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
Differences: (offsetriginal/backup)
* 65:01/00
* Not automatically fixing this.
Free cluster summary wrong (97616 vs. really 223160)
* Auto-correcting.

Performing changes.
/dev/sdb1: 362 files, 21089/244249 clusters

Old 10-10-2008, 04:21 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Fri,10.Oct.08, 13:13:50, J.H.Kim wrote:

> dosfsck made my usb stick works fine~
> Thank you.
>
> The following message was the result of "dosfsck /dev/sdb1" :
>
> frog1120:/home/frog# dosfsck -a /dev/sdb1
>
> dosfsck 2.11, 12 Mar 2005, FAT32, LFN
> There are differences between boot sector and its backup.
> Differences: (offsetriginal/backup)
> 65:01/00
> Not automatically fixing this.

You might want to lookup the manpage of dosfsck on how to fix this as
well.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)