Old 10-07-2008, 04:12 AM
NewDeb

Default sources.list to work with debians on a Fedora machine !

I am reposting this message and drawing attention to the fact that I am
trying to do the apt-get and dpkg magic on a fedora box !

I have installed dpkg and apt on my Fedora machine. What should my
sources.list look so that I can use apt-get and dpkg ?

I cant use statements like below because the "deb" is not understood on my
machine. I had replaced it with rpms but then apt-get installs rpms and I
want debians !

"deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib
deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib"

Is there a way around this at all ? What should the sources.list look like ?

Thanks,

Old 10-07-2008, 05:15 AM
Michael Wagner

* NewDeb <ace_shikha@hotmail.com> 07.10.2008

> I am reposting this message and drawing attention to the fact that I am
> trying to do the apt-get and dpkg magic on a fedora box !
>
> I have installed dpkg and apt on my Fedora machine. What should my
> sources.list look so that I can use apt-get and dpkg ?
>
> I cant use statements like below because the "deb" is not understood on my
> machine. I had replaced it with rpms but then apt-get installs rpms and I
> want debians !
>
> "deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib"
>
> Is there a way around this at all ? What should the sources.list look like ?

Hello NewDeb, (cool name ;-)

I don't know the contingencies *apt* and *dpkg* offers on a rpm-based
distro, but I think it's impossible what you want, because Fedora uses
*rpm* for his package management and you can't install *deb* packages.
The only way around this is to convert the *debs* to *rpm* with "alien",
but I don't believe this is a good choice.

This way you can accordingly install the packages with *dpkg*, not with
*apt*. One other workaround is to convert the packages and afterwards
put them in your own apt repository. Then you can install them with
*apt*.

Why not just install debian when you want the packages from debian?

Just my 2 cents
Michael

--
In 1968 it took the computing power of 2 C-64's to fly a rocket
to the moon. Now, in 1998 it takes the Power of a Pentium II

Old 10-07-2008, 06:05 AM
Tzafrir Cohen

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 09:12:20PM -0700, NewDeb wrote:

> I am reposting this message and drawing attention to the fact that I am
> trying to do the apt-get and dpkg magic on a fedora box !

Something you can do is install Debian to a subdirectory (chrot "jail")
in your system, using a program called "debootstrap".

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/apds03.html.en (the
installation manual) explains how to use it to install Debian to a
specific subdirectory that is also on a different partition. But you can
skip all the partitioning bits and debootstrap to whatever subdirectory
you want.

Once this is done, if, say, you installed it into the subdirectory
/srv/chroot/debian, you can run (as root):

chroot /srv/chroot/debian

Then it might help you to run the following to get a nicer promp and
all:

. /etc/profile

http://tzafrir.org.il | | a Mutt's
tzafrir@cohens.org.il | | best
ICQ# 16849754 | | friend

Old 10-07-2008, 11:55 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Mon,06.Oct.08, 21:12:20, NewDeb wrote:

> I am reposting this message and drawing attention to the fact that I am
> trying to do the apt-get and dpkg magic on a fedora box !

Installing debs on fedora won't work. Maybe it would be better to
explain what you are trying to achieve, because there may be ways you
didn't think of.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-07-2008, 02:13 PM
Daniel Burrows

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 09:12:20PM -0700, NewDeb <ace_shikha@hotmail.com> was heard to say:

> I am reposting this message and drawing attention to the fact that I am
> trying to do the apt-get and dpkg magic on a fedora box !
>
> I have installed dpkg and apt on my Fedora machine. What should my
> sources.list look so that I can use apt-get and dpkg ?

I would suggest that you might get better answers if you asked on a
Fedora user list.

Daniel

Old 10-07-2008, 04:40 PM
Paul E Condon

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 09:12:20PM -0700, NewDeb wrote:

> I am reposting this message and drawing attention to the fact that I am
> trying to do the apt-get and dpkg magic on a fedora box !
>
> I have installed dpkg and apt on my Fedora machine. What should my
> sources.list look so that I can use apt-get and dpkg ?
>
> I cant use statements like below because the "deb" is not understood on my
> machine. I had replaced it with rpms but then apt-get installs rpms and I
> want debians !
>
> "deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib
> deb-src http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian etch main contrib"
>
> Is there a way around this at all ? What should the sources.list look like ?
>
> Thanks,

Fedora and Debian have different conventions as to where system files are placed on disk.
Every .deb file contains scripts that actually place files that are packed in the .deb in
the places where they belong, according to the debian convention and also expect to find
pre-existing files where they were placed be previous debian installs. It is very unlikely
to work on a Fedora machine. It certainly has not been tested in this environment by debian.
Debian people make no representation as to there skills at getting any program when running
it under Fedora. A straight forward reading of what you say you want to do is dangerous and
it would be madness to try, unless you simply want to screw up your machine.

If you want to install Debian on a computer that also has Fedora on it, I suggest that you
prepare an empty partition as the place where debain will reside. Then follow the directions
for a netinstall using that partition as target. You will have to be careful about exactly
what you do when the debian install script asks what to do about the 'other' system that it
finds on the disk. I don't remember what options it offers. When you get to that point, if
the options aren't obvious to you, post another request for help.

In the meantime, don't try to run apt-get or dpkg on a Fedora machine unless you are really
interested in screwing up your machine.

--
Paul E Condon
pecondon@mesanetworks.net