Old 10-06-2008, 04:40 PM
"Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum"

Default Keeping more up to date than Lenny, safely?

Hi. Im running Lenny on two computers, and have been very happy with it. Nothings ever really been broken, so i dont think that a "stable"
version is necessary for what i need.

I dont really want to go "unstable"--the name alone scares me--but at the same time i read the release notes for the new Ubuntu beta, and its
really nice. I *want* Gnome 2.24 (the auto XRandR thing is especially nice, ive always wanted multi-head but am skeered to mess with my xorg.conf). I _want_ the new version of Network Manager. Etcetera.

Is there any way to get this, but without the risk of the system breaking every other day? I dont want my life to be about managing the system,
but im willing to have a little inconvenience in return for more up to date features.

Thanks!

Jen

Old 10-06-2008, 08:50 PM
Lalit Dhiri

Hi,

*

I think the simplest / safest*thing to do is to use a live CD which has the new bits you are interested in and try them out. This way you keep your systems as is for now and can simply reboot to Debian Lenny when you need something more complete.

*

If Ubuntu Beta interests you try http://releases.ubuntu.com/intrepid/ you can create a live CD and try it.

*

Here are a few other links that might interest you:

*

Garnome - a build system
http://www.gnome.org/projects/garnome/

*

GNOME distros and versions
http://www.gnome.org/~davyd/footware.shtml

--*
Lalit Dhiri
Linux the root to no GPFs

> Date: Mon, 6 Oct 2008 09:40:13 -0700
> From: bg271828@yahoo.com
> Subject: Keeping more up to date than Lenny, safely?
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org
>
> Hi. Im running Lenny on two computers, and have been very happy with it. Nothings ever really been broken, so i dont think that a "stable"
> version is necessary for what i need.
>
> I dont really want to go "unstable"--the name alone scares me--but at the same time i read the release notes for the new Ubuntu beta, and its
> really nice. I *want* Gnome 2.24 (the auto XRandR thing is especially nice, ive always wanted multi-head but am skeered to mess with my xorg.conf). I _want_ the new version of Network Manager. Etcetera.
>
> Is there any way to get this, but without the risk of the system breaking every other day? I dont want my life to be about managing the system,
> but im willing to have a little inconvenience in return for more up to date features.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jen

Try Facebook in Windows Live Messenger! Try it Now!

Old 10-06-2008, 08:59 PM
tyler

"Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum" <bg271828@yahoo.com> writes:

> I dont really want to go "unstable"--the name alone scares me--but at
> the same time i read the release notes for the new Ubuntu beta, and
> its really nice. I *want* Gnome 2.24 (the auto XRandR thing is
> especially nice, ive always wanted multi-head but am skeered to mess
> with my xorg.conf). I _want_ the new version of Network Manager.
> Etcetera.
>
> Is there any way to get this, but without the risk of the system
> breaking every other day? I dont want my life to be about managing the
> system, but im willing to have a little inconvenience in return for
> more up to date features.

As I understand it, if there's something you really want, you've got
four options:

You can temporarily enable unstable, install the package you're after,
and then remove unstable again. I do this on very rare occasions, and
only for packages that are pretty much self contained. If I see the
package is pulling in a lot of new dependencies, or updating anything on
my existing system, I cancel the operation and move on to other options.
This is really not recommended.

You can download the sources and compile yourself. Again, this is best
only for things that don't require updating dependencies. Since it's a
bit more work, it's not worth doing for anything that you don't both
need and understand well enough to trouble shoot compilation problems.

You can upgrade to unstable, with all that that entails. (lots of people
seem to run unstable without too much trouble, but I don't)

You can wait

Cheers,

Tyler

Old 10-06-2008, 09:00 PM
Ron Johnson

Hi. Im running Lenny on two computers, and have been very happy

with it. Nothings ever really been broken, so i dont think that a
"stable"

version is necessary for what i need.

I dont really want to go "unstable"--the name alone scares
me--

Repeat the Litany Against Fear as often as needed:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

but at the same time i read the release notes for the new

> Ubuntu beta, and its really nice. I *want* Gnome 2.24 (the auto

Unstable is at GNOME v2.22.5

> XRandR thing is especially nice, ive always wanted multi-head
> but am skeered to mess with my xorg.conf). I _want_ the new

version of Network Manager. Etcetera.

s/Manager/Mangler

Is there any way to get this, but without the risk of the system

> breaking every other day?

You want unrisky cutting-edge software?

I dont want my life to be about managing

> the system,

Like what? Using Sid/Unstable, I rarely "administer" my system.

but im willing to have a little inconvenience in

> return for more up to date features.

Find a released distro that has GNOME 2.24. (I'm not being
flippant, but am totally serious. Many people change distros on a
regular basis.)

--
Ron Johnson, Jr.
Jefferson LA USA

hook beneath it." -- Thomas Jefferson

Old 10-06-2008, 09:13 PM
"David Fox"

On Mon, Oct 6, 2008 at 9:40 AM, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum
<bg271828@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Hi. Im running Lenny on two computers, and have been very happy with it. Nothings ever really been broken, so i dont think that a "stable"
> version is necessary for what i need.

Well, you might take a look at sidux, then. It's sid, but repackaged.
I have it running in a virtualbox guest - my main OS these days is
Ubuntu Hardy (used to be on lenny, but I switched in may when I went
to a 64 bit platform.)

> I dont really want to go "unstable"--the name alone scares me--but at the same time i read the release notes for the new Ubuntu beta, and its
> really nice. I *want* Gnome 2.24 (the auto XRandR thing is especially nice, ive always wanted multi-head but am

It might be OK - other than that bad e1000 bug, but that doesn't
bother me, as I have no e1000 hardware . You might take a look at
intrepid - the beta is out. I also have that booting, but not yet
installed, in a virtual box. My plans are to wait until the end of
October and then do dist-upgrade (or do-release-upgrade, or whatever
the upgrade procedure is on Ubuntu).

>skeered to mess with my xorg.conf). I _want_ the new version of Network Manager. Etcetera.

I didn't bother with that when I upgraded. I copied the
/etc/network/interfaces and xorg.conf files from my working debian
lenny setup (well, kind of working - I had /var on a separate small
hard drive and my new motherboard only could hold 2 ide devices, and I
had three, so something had to get yanked).

> Is there any way to get this, but without the risk of the system breaking every other day? I dont want my life to be about managing the system,

I haven't actually ran sid, but I don't think there is any reason it
should break every day, but the upgrades come by pretty fast.

At least there is a buffer in lenny so that much gets triaged before
it can enter into testing from unstable (or is lenny actually stable
now?). Some packages sit waiting for things to get done from time to
time. I've run debian testing since about Nov 2006 - before it was
even Etch.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:29 AM
Mark Allums

> On 10/06/08 11:40, Dr. Jennifer Nussbaum wrote:
>> Hi. Im running Lenny on two computers, and have been very happy
> with it. Nothings ever really been broken, so i dont think that a
> "stable"
>> version is necessary for what i need.
>>
>> I dont really want to go "unstable"--the name alone scares
>> me--

Do "testing" and pull in gcc and the build tool chain from "unstable".

You may want to use an unstable kernel from time to time, so pull a new
one (and the dependencies) in from unstable after it goes through at
least two point revisions.

Don't run a heavily mixed testing+unstable system, (you can seriously
break your system) but one or two items from unstable usually doesn't
cause much trouble. If the one you want won't install due dependency
problems, then be patient and it will float up to testing in due course,
either back-ported or with the dependencies moving to testing as well.

(and get to know www.backports.org)

That is really the main thing I fear doing this: the chance of breaking
the dependency graph and having to de-install the package by hand.
Fixing the Debian apt/dpkg database afterward may not be trivial,
although $apt-get -f install helps some of the time.

Ron Johnson wrote:
>> but at the same time i read the release notes for the new
> > Ubuntu beta, and its really nice. I *want* Gnome 2.24 (the auto
>
> Unstable is at GNOME v2.22.5

Unstable (or Sid) has been at 2.23 for a short while, and is already
transitioning to 2.24.

> > XRandR thing is especially nice, ive always wanted multi-head
> > but am skeered to mess with my xorg.conf). I _want_ the new
>> version of Network Manager. Etcetera.
>
> s/Manager/Mangler
>
>> Is there any way to get this, but without the risk of the system
> > breaking every other day?

Uh, no. Well, Sidux. Or an Ubuntu beta.

>> I dont want my life to be about managing
>> the system,

Then you should probably run stable.

>> but im willing to have a little inconvenience in
>> return for more up to date features.

Testing, after the release of lenny.

Mark Allums

Old 10-07-2008, 04:48 PM
Magnus Pedersen

Ron Johnson wrote:

Hi. Im running Lenny on two computers, and have been very happy

with it. Nothings ever really been broken, so i dont think that a
"stable"

version is necessary for what i need.

I dont really want to go "unstable"--the name alone scares
me--

Repeat the Litany Against Fear as often as needed:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

While he's beeing tested with the Gom Jabbar or just before?

/Magnus

Old 10-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Ron Johnson

Hi. Im running Lenny on two computers, and have been very happy

with it. Nothings ever really been broken, so i dont think that a
"stable"

version is necessary for what i need.

I dont really want to go "unstable"--the name alone scares
me--

Repeat the Litany Against Fear as often as needed:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

While he's beeing tested with the Gom Jabbar or just before?

(OP is a "she".)

Anyway, the mere act of using Debian is proof enough of Humanity...

Old 10-07-2008, 09:12 PM
Magnus Pedersen

Ron Johnson wrote:

Repeat the Litany Against Fear as often as needed:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

While he's beeing tested with the Gom Jabbar or just before?

(OP is a "she".)

So she is, my bad, I'm very sorry.

Anyway, the mere act of using Debian is proof enough of Humanity...

You might be right, but who knows if that will satisfy the Bene Gesserit
witches.

I've better sign of before we venture even more OT

/Magnus

Old 10-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Hugo Vanwoerkom

Ron Johnson wrote:

Hi. Im running Lenny on two computers, and have been very happy

with it. Nothings ever really been broken, so i dont think that a
"stable"

version is necessary for what i need.

I dont really want to go "unstable"--the name alone scares
me--

Repeat the Litany Against Fear as often as needed:

I must not fear.
Fear is the mind-killer.
Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.
I will face my fear.
I will permit it to pass over me and through me.
And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.
Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.
Only I will remain.

"I" will be gone too because that is where the fear originates...
Which is not scary after all...

Hugo