Old 10-04-2008, 10:41 PM
Dennis Wicks

Default Need help installing ndiswrapper

I am installing ndiswrapper and can't get it to complete properly.

In the INSTALL it states:

You need a recent kernel, at least 2.6.16, with header files for the
kernel. Make sure there is a link to the kernel source from the modules
directory. The command

ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build

should have at least 'include' directory and '.config' file.

I have kernel 2.6.26 and I have installed both the kernel headers and the kernel
source but I still don't have the build directory and the required directory &
file.

How do I get these setup?

TIA!!
Dennis

Old 10-05-2008, 04:23 AM
Jonathan Kaye

Dennis Wicks wrote:

> I am installing ndiswrapper and can't get it to complete properly.
>
> In the INSTALL it states:
>
> You need a recent kernel, at least 2.6.16, with header files for the
> kernel. Make sure there is a link to the kernel source from the
> modules directory. The command
>
> ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
>
> should have at least 'include' directory and '.config' file.
>
> I have kernel 2.6.26 and I have installed both the kernel headers and the
> kernel source but I still don't have the build directory and the required
> directory & file.
>
> How do I get these setup?
>
> TIA!!
> Dennis
Hi Dennis,
Please don't "hijack" existing threads. Post your question as a new thread
and this will avoid confusion for all and more relevant answers for you.
Thanks a lot,
Jonathan

Old 10-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Eduardo M KALINOWSKI

Dennis Wicks wrote:
> I am installing ndiswrapper and can't get it to complete properly.
>
> In the INSTALL it states:
>
> You need a recent kernel, at least 2.6.16, with header files for the
> kernel. Make sure there is a link to the kernel source from the modules
> directory. The command
>
> ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
>
> should have at least 'include' directory and '.config' file.
>
> I have kernel 2.6.26 and I have installed both the kernel headers and the kernel
> source but I still don't have the build directory and the required directory & file.

You don't need the kernel source, but rather the kernel include files.
These are in the package linux-headers-<version> .

--
Be consistent.
-- Larry Wall in the perl man page

Eduardo M KALINOWSKI
eduardo@kalinowski.com.br
http://move.to/hpkb

Old 10-05-2008, 10:54 PM
Dennis Wicks

I am installing ndiswrapper and can't get it to complete properly.

In the INSTALL it states:

You need a recent kernel, at least 2.6.16, with header files for the
kernel. Make sure there is a link to the kernel source from the modules
directory. The command

ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build

should have at least 'include' directory and '.config' file.

I have kernel 2.6.26 and I have installed both the kernel headers and the kernel
source but I still don't have the build directory and the required directory & file.

You don't need the kernel source, but rather the kernel include files.
These are in the package linux-headers-<version> .

OK, I did that and tried a few things, none of which worked.

I used aptitude to purge and install ndisgtk ndiswrapper-common
ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 and then:

ndiswrapper -i /media/disk/drivers/network/R174291/bvmwl5.inf
installing bcmwl5 ...

modprobe ndiswrapper
FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

The same thing happens when I use ndisgtk to install the drivers.

So, no difference, no joy ...

Any more help?

TIA!
Dennis

Old 10-07-2008, 08:16 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 17:54:00 -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:
> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote the following on 10/05/2008 02:33 PM:
>> Dennis Wicks wrote:
>>> I am installing ndiswrapper and can't get it to complete properly.
>>>
>>> In the INSTALL it states:
>>>
>>> You need a recent kernel, at least 2.6.16, with header files for the
>>> kernel. Make sure there is a link to the kernel source from the modules
>>> directory. The command
>>>
>>> ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build
>>>
>>> should have at least 'include' directory and '.config' file.
>>>
>>> I have kernel 2.6.26 and I have installed both the kernel headers and
>>> the kernel source but I still don't have the build directory and the
>>> required directory & file.
>>>

>> You don't need the kernel source, but rather the kernel include files.
>> These are in the package linux-headers-<version> .
>>

> OK, I did that and tried a few things, none of which worked.
>
> I used aptitude to purge and install ndisgtk ndiswrapper-common
> ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 and then:
>
> ndiswrapper -i /media/disk/drivers/network/R174291/bvmwl5.inf
> installing bcmwl5 ...
>
> modprobe ndiswrapper
> FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.
>
> The same thing happens when I use ndisgtk to install the drivers.

It seems that you have not compiled the kernel ndiswrapper module (using
module-assistant):

http://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper#head-d830e05d15a64e40a56b82c293d9d9b65949b3f4

If this does not work for you then post the exact commands that you use
and the error messages that you get when trying to follow these
instructions.

(It seems that you attempted to use the generic upstream INSTALL
instructions; this should not be necessary because module-assistant
should do all the complicated stuff for you on Debian.)

Florian |

Old 10-07-2008, 08:23 PM
Florian Kulzer

On Mon, Oct 06, 2008 at 04:14:17 -0400, alan hutchinson wrote:
> I also am having difficulty installing ndiswrapper I don't no where to
> start,I thought that by useing synaptic package manager it would be a breeze
> but evidently not I am useing Debian Lenny beta 2 i386 with kernel 2.624
> 1686 also I am trying to install network everywhere 2.4 GHz wireless usb
> adapter,if some one could pleas help me ,
> thanks in advance.

Try this:

http://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper#head-d830e05d15a64e40a56b82c293d9d9b65949b3f4

If you run into problems, post the details here (including verbatim
error messages). You can use synaptic to install the necessary packages
(the instructions in the wiki use the apt-get command) but then you have
to quit synaptic, open a terminal, become root and run the m-a
(module-assistant) commands as they are given in the wiki. ("m-a" is
simply a convenient abbreviation for "module-assistant"; they both start
the same program.)

Florian |

Old 10-08-2008, 06:41 AM
"alan hutchinson"

Hi Florian I also have bean trying to install "ndiswrapper" as well, and just like you it is proving to be problematic ,I even tryed doing it the windows way by downloading "ndiswrapper" on to the Debian desktop,but synaptic package manager just does not show it on the interface,*** So I tryed following the instructions on this support site and this is what I got in my terminal

debian:/home/thegreatalsky# apt-get install module-assistant* ndiswrapper-utils ndiswrapper-source
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree******
Reading state information... Done
E: Couldn't find package ndiswrapper-utils

debian:/home/thegreatalsky# m-a prepare
bash: m-a: command not found
debian:/home/thegreatalsky# m-a update
bash: m-a: command not found
debian:/home/thegreatalsky# module-assistant auto-install ndiswrapper

bash: module-assistant: command not found
debian:/home/thegreatalsky#
************************************************** **** "I dont know what to do"

On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 4:16 PM, Florian Kulzer <florian.kulzer+debian@icfo.es> wrote:

On Sun, Oct 05, 2008 at 17:54:00 -0500, Dennis Wicks wrote:

> Eduardo M KALINOWSKI wrote the following on 10/05/2008 02:33 PM:

>> Dennis Wicks wrote:

>>> I am installing ndiswrapper and can't get it to complete properly.

>>> In the INSTALL it states:

>>> * * *You need a recent kernel, at least 2.6.16, with header files for the

>>> * * *kernel. Make sure there is a link to the kernel source from the modules

>>> * * *directory. The command

>>> * * * *ls /lib/modules/`uname -r`/build

>>> * * *should have at least 'include' directory and '.config' file.

>>> I have kernel 2.6.26 and I have installed both the kernel headers and

>>> the kernel source but I still don't have the build directory and the

>>> required directory & file.

>> You don't need the kernel source, but rather the kernel include files.

>> These are in the package linux-headers-<version> .

> OK, I did that and tried a few things, none of which worked.

> I used aptitude to purge and install ndisgtk ndiswrapper-common

> ndiswrapper-utils-1.9 and then:

> * ndiswrapper -i /media/disk/drivers/network/R174291/bvmwl5.inf

> * installing bcmwl5 ...

> * modprobe ndiswrapper

> * FATAL: Module ndiswrapper not found.

> The same thing happens when I use ndisgtk to install the drivers.

It seems that you have not compiled the kernel ndiswrapper module (using

module-assistant):

http://wiki.debian.org/NdisWrapper#head-d830e05d15a64e40a56b82c293d9d9b65949b3f4

If this does not work for you then post the exact commands that you use

and the error messages that you get when trying to follow these

instructions.

(It seems that you attempted to use the generic upstream INSTALL

*instructions; this should not be necessary because module-assistant

*should do all the complicated stuff for you on Debian.)

--

Regards, * * * * * *| http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer

* * * * *Florian * |

Old 10-08-2008, 11:23 AM
Michael Wagner

* alan hutchinson <thegreatalsky@gmail.com> 08.10.2008

> debian:/home/thegreatalsky# apt-get install module-assistant*
> ndiswrapper-utils ndiswrapper-source
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree******
> Reading state information... Done
> E: Couldn't find package ndiswrapper-utils
> debian:/home/thegreatalsky# m-a prepare
> bash: m-a: command not found
> debian:/home/thegreatalsky# m-a update
> bash: m-a: command not found
> debian:/home/thegreatalsky# module-assistant auto-install ndiswrapper
> bash: module-assistant: command not found
> debian:/home/thegreatalsky#
> ************************************************** **** "I dont know what
> to do"

Hello Alan,

are you sure that the package was installed? Look with

dpkg -l module-assistant

And for the ndiswrapper packages. These packages are normally in the
main archive, therefore I don't understand why apt didn't find the
packages. Your /etc/apt/sources.list is ok? Make first an

aptitude update

and then look if they are installable with aptitude.

Hth Michael

--
"The key to immortality is first living a life worth remembering."
-Saint Augustine