Old 10-04-2008, 06:40 AM
Jonathan Kaye

Default setting a static ip on a dhcp account

Hi all (especially Ron Johnson),
On another thread Ron said, "Yes. *My router gets a routable "external" IP
address from the ISP, but I had to also give it an "internal", non-routable
IP address (which I chose to be 192.168.1.251).

My question is: can you explain the steps needed to do this? I don't know if
it's something I can configure on my machine or if I have to change some
settings on the modem/router.

A supplementary question for any Italian speaker out there.
I moved to Italy about a month ago and I have an Alice 7 Mega account along
with a Telecom Italia Alice wifi-modem. There is zero documentation except
for a stupid CD that only gives information for Windows (and a tiny bit for
Mac) but nothing for Linux. I am learning Italian as fast as I can but I
need some help in configuring the modem for port forwarding. This can be
done off list (unless people feel it would be in the general interest to do
it on list). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers,
Jonathan

Old 10-04-2008, 07:08 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sat,04.Oct.08, 08:40:49, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> Hi all (especially Ron Johnson),
> On another thread Ron said, "Yes. *My router gets a routable "external" IP
> address from the ISP, but I had to also give it an "internal", non-routable
> IP address (which I chose to be 192.168.1.251).
>
> My question is: can you explain the steps needed to do this? I don't know if
> it's something I can configure on my machine or if I have to change some
> settings on the modem/router.

Most routers I have dealt with come with a preconfigured internal IP
(usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1). Changing this is very specific to
a given router/firmware, so we will not be able to help here unless you
specify exactly what model/firmware you are running.

> A supplementary question for any Italian speaker out there.
> I moved to Italy about a month ago and I have an Alice 7 Mega account along
> with a Telecom Italia Alice wifi-modem. There is zero documentation except
> for a stupid CD that only gives information for Windows (and a tiny bit for
> Mac) but nothing for Linux. I am learning Italian as fast as I can but I
> need some help in configuring the modem for port forwarding. This can be
> done off list (unless people feel it would be in the general interest to do
> it on list). Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Same as above. Alice wifi-modem doesn't say anything to me. More helpful
would be to specify who built the modem and whatever other model number
and revision is printed on it.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-04-2008, 03:37 PM

Old 10-04-2008, 04:38 PM
Jonathan Kaye

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Sat,04.Oct.08, 08:40:49, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
>> Hi all (especially Ron Johnson),
>> On another thread Ron said, "Yes. *My router gets a routable
>> "external" IP
>> address from the ISP, but I had to also give it an "internal",
>> non-routable IP address (which I chose to be 192.168.1.251).
>>
>> My question is: can you explain the steps needed to do this? I don't know
>> if it's something I can configure on my machine or if I have to change
>> some settings on the modem/router.
>
> Most routers I have dealt with come with a preconfigured internal IP
> (usually 192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1). Changing this is very specific to
> a given router/firmware, so we will not be able to help here unless you
> specify exactly what model/firmware you are running.
Hi Andrei,
Thanks for the answer. Yes, this modem has an internal address of
192.168.1.1 I also notice that I seem to always get the ip 192.168.1.70
which doesn't seem to change. My partner, connected to the same modem
always gets 192.168.1.62 . Since I am very inexperienced using DHCP
connections I have no idea if this is normal or not or if I can consider
this my static ip. I think Telecom Italia does its best to hide the
manufacturer of the modem. When I use a web interface for configuring the
modem I find the following information:
Name: Alice Gate 2 plus Wi-Fi
Hardware: L1
Software: AGA_3.2.4
Smartcard: Active (yes, there is a smart card you have to insert into the
modem.

>> A supplementary question for any Italian speaker out there.
>> I moved to Italy about a month ago and I have an Alice 7 Mega account
>> along with a Telecom Italia Alice wifi-modem. There is zero documentation
>> except for a stupid CD that only gives information for Windows (and a
>> tiny bit for Mac) but nothing for Linux. I am learning Italian as fast as
>> I can but I need some help in configuring the modem for port forwarding.
>> This can be done off list (unless people feel it would be in the general
>> interest to do it on list). Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Same as above. Alice wifi-modem doesn't say anything to me. More helpful
> would be to specify who built the modem and whatever other model number
> and revision is printed on it.
Yeah, I'd love to know this information myself. I don't believe Telecom
Italia is in the modem building business but I can't find any trace of a
manufacturer or model number on the modem itself. What passes for
documentation is no help either. Frankly I'm stumped.
Thanks again,
Jonathan

Old 10-04-2008, 08:24 PM
Andrei Popescu

On Sat,04.Oct.08, 18:38:42, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
> Thanks for the answer. Yes, this modem has an internal address of
> 192.168.1.1 I also notice that I seem to always get the ip 192.168.1.70
> which doesn't seem to change. My partner, connected to the same modem
> always gets 192.168.1.62 . Since I am very inexperienced using DHCP
> connections I have no idea if this is normal or not or if I can consider
> this my static ip.

It seems like your modem will always try to use the same IP. Usually you
can make sure it stays like this via the web interface, so you have to
look for something where you can specify the IP address allocated to a
specific MAC address[1].

If you really can't find your way through the web-interface you could
post some screenshots somewhere on the net, but be careful to obfuscate
any information you don't want to make public.

[1] Just in case you are not familiar, the MAC address is unique to any
given network device

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-05-2008, 04:30 AM
Jonathan Kaye

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Sat,04.Oct.08, 18:38:42, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
>> Thanks for the answer. Yes, this modem has an internal address of
>> 192.168.1.1 I also notice that I seem to always get the ip 192.168.1.70
>> which doesn't seem to change. My partner, connected to the same modem
>> always gets 192.168.1.62 . Since I am very inexperienced using DHCP
>> connections I have no idea if this is normal or not or if I can consider
>> this my static ip.
>
> It seems like your modem will always try to use the same IP. Usually you
> can make sure it stays like this via the web interface, so you have to
> look for something where you can specify the IP address allocated to a
> specific MAC address[1].
>
> If you really can't find your way through the web-interface you could
> post some screenshots somewhere on the net, but be careful to obfuscate
> any information you don't want to make public.
>
> [1] Just in case you are not familiar, the MAC address is unique to any
> given network device
>
> Regards,
> Andrei
Hi Andrei,
Yes I've already noticed exactly what you describe in the web interface and
I am familiar with a MAC address. I'm just wondering if I should leave
things as they are or configure the modem as discussed.
Here's the screen shot which looks exactly as you describe it. My machine is
the .70 one and its MAC address is along side it.
Cheers,
Jonathan

Old 10-05-2008, 07:12 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Sun,05.Oct.08, 06:30:14, Jonathan Kaye wrote:

> Yes I've already noticed exactly what you describe in the web interface and
> I am familiar with a MAC address. I'm just wondering if I should leave
> things as they are or configure the modem as discussed.

That's for you to decide As far as I can tell you can forward ports
to a specific MAC, so it might not matter whether that device always
gets the same IP.

> Here's the screen shot which looks exactly as you describe it. My machine is
> the .70 one and its MAC address is along side it.

Your initial question was about port forwarding as well. The lower part
of your screenshot is just for that (other consumer routers call it
"virtual server" as well):

Nome: choose some name for your port forwarding

Indirizzio MAC: the MAC address where the redirect should go

Indirizzio IP locale: the local IP address of the computer
(it might be that only one is enough, though I'd rather use the MAC)

Porta locale: the port where your service is running

Porta publica: the port that should be visible on the internet
(usually these don't need to be the same. You could run the ssh server
on the standard port 22, but redirect it to some other port on the
outside. This doesn't bring much security, but it might help reduce
traffic from script-kiddies trying to break in)

Protocollo: the protocoll (usually "tcp" or "udp")

Stato: state? (this is the limit of my Italian)

Regards,
Andrei
P.S. Does your modem have Pirelli tires?
(Albert Einstein)

Old 10-05-2008, 01:18 PM
Jonathan Kaye

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> On Sun,05.Oct.08, 06:30:14, Jonathan Kaye wrote:
>
>> Yes I've already noticed exactly what you describe in the web interface
>> and I am familiar with a MAC address. I'm just wondering if I should
>> leave things as they are or configure the modem as discussed.
>
> That's for you to decide As far as I can tell you can forward ports
> to a specific MAC, so it might not matter whether that device always
> gets the same IP.
>
>> Here's the screen shot which looks exactly as you describe it. My machine
>> is the .70 one and its MAC address is along side it.
>
> Your initial question was about port forwarding as well. The lower part
> of your screenshot is just for that (other consumer routers call it
> "virtual server" as well):
>
> Nome: choose some name for your port forwarding
>
> Indirizzio MAC: the MAC address where the redirect should go
>
> Indirizzio IP locale: the local IP address of the computer
> (it might be that only one is enough, though I'd rather use the MAC)
>
> Porta locale: the port where your service is running
>
> Porta publica: the port that should be visible on the internet
> (usually these don't need to be the same. You could run the ssh server
> on the standard port 22, but redirect it to some other port on the
> outside. This doesn't bring much security, but it might help reduce
> traffic from script-kiddies trying to break in)
>
> Protocollo: the protocoll (usually "tcp" or "udp")
>
> Stato: state? (this is the limit of my Italian)
>
> Regards,
> Andrei
> P.S. Does your modem have Pirelli tires?
Thanks Andrei,
Yes, that much I figured out. "stato" does mean state. I was concerned about
the local ip which logically should be static and wondering if I needed to
explicitly change to a static ip or rely on the fact that the current setup
always seems to assign ...70 as my ip. If I understand your comment then I
don't even need to specify the local ip and just putting in my MAC would be
enough. Is that what you meant?
Cheers,
Jonathan

Old 10-05-2008, 03:24 PM
Jonathan Kaye

Andrei Popescu wrote:

> Your initial question was about port forwarding as well. The lower part
> of your screenshot is just for that (other consumer routers call it
> "virtual server" as well):
>
> Nome: choose some name for your port forwarding
>
> Indirizzio MAC: the MAC address where the redirect should go
>
> Indirizzio IP locale: the local IP address of the computer
> (it might be that only one is enough, though I'd rather use the MAC)
>
> Porta locale: the port where your service is running
>
> Porta publica: the port that should be visible on the internet
> (usually these don't need to be the same. You could run the ssh server
> on the standard port 22, but redirect it to some other port on the
> outside. This doesn't bring much security, but it might help reduce
> traffic from script-kiddies trying to break in)
>
> Protocollo: the protocoll (usually "tcp" or "udp")
>
> Stato: state? (this is the limit of my Italian)
>
> Regards,
> Andrei
> P.S. Does your modem have Pirelli tires?
Thanks Andrei,
It worked like a charm. The port forwarding is successful and things are
functioning normally. The modem is actually fairly kind and fills in most
of the items. I only had to specify the port and the protocol.
The modem does indeed have Pirelli tyres but only for wet weather ;-)
Cheers,
Jonathan