Old 11-20-2007, 09:53 PM
Hal Vaughan

Default DHCP Client Won't Connect

I have a default Sarge installation that I had to move to a new network.
It had been getting the address through DHCP with no problem. Now, on
the new network, it tries to connect to a DHCP server, but there's no
connection. I was not able to copy down the messages because the
business was closing. I know it's hard to debug a problem without the
error messages, but I was hoping there might be a list "obvious" things
to check. Basically when I typed "/etc/init.d/networking restart" I
saw a number of attempts to connect on port 67 and each one listed
either a length of time for timeout or something similar. The numbers
for the time varied.

The people at this company say the CAT5 cable is good, but I'm most
included to question the hardware over software. Unfortunately, I
don't have control over the hardware. I may be able to try a cable
swap tomorrow, but I won't have much time (they're closing early and
won't reopen until Monday, after Thanksgiving and the weekend).

I saw a Windows system on the same switch (and therefore on the same
router connection) connected without a problem. I checked the network
settings on the Windows system and it was just "obtain IP address
automatically."

What could keep a Linux system from connecting to or receiving any
communications from a DHCP server? Could they be doing something with
their server (likely on Windows) that would keep it from acknowledging
my Linux computer?

I know without error messages there's not much to go on, but any list of
things to check would be a huge help.

Thanks for any suggestions on what to check!

Hal

Old 11-20-2007, 10:12 PM
Andrew Sackville-West

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 05:53:40PM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> I have a default Sarge installation that I had to move to a new network.
> It had been getting the address through DHCP with no problem. Now, on
> the new network, it tries to connect to a DHCP server, but there's no
> connection. I was not able to copy down the messages because the
> business was closing. I know it's hard to debug a problem without the
> error messages, but I was hoping there might be a list "obvious" things
> to check. Basically when I typed "/etc/init.d/networking restart" I
> saw a number of attempts to connect on port 67 and each one listed
> either a length of time for timeout or something similar. The numbers
> for the time varied.
>
> The people at this company say the CAT5 cable is good, but I'm most
> included to question the hardware over software. Unfortunately, I
> don't have control over the hardware. I may be able to try a cable
> swap tomorrow, but I won't have much time (they're closing early and
> won't reopen until Monday, after Thanksgiving and the weekend).
>
> I saw a Windows system on the same switch (and therefore on the same
> router connection) connected without a problem. I checked the network
> settings on the Windows system and it was just "obtain IP address
> automatically."
>
> What could keep a Linux system from connecting to or receiving any
> communications from a DHCP server? Could they be doing something with
> their server (likely on Windows) that would keep it from acknowledging
> my Linux computer?

maybe their dhcp server will only issue addresses to specific MAC
addresses.

Old 11-21-2007, 12:11 AM
"Sudev Barar"

On 21/11/2007, Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:
> I have a default Sarge installation that I had to move to a new network.
> It had been getting the address through DHCP with no problem. Now, on
> the new network, it tries to connect to a DHCP server, but there's no
> connection. I was not able to copy down the messages because the
[SNIP]
> What could keep a Linux system from connecting to or receiving any
> communications from a DHCP server? Could they be doing something with
> their server (likely on Windows) that would keep it from acknowledging
> my Linux computer?

AFAIK at this stage of network handshake nothing is likely to stop
communication between the two machines (yours and win server) except
if the dhcp server is set to allot IP's only to know MAC numbers. So
that or cable is likely culprit if the settings on you machine are set
to getting IP from a dhcpd server.

Do post back if things get resolved.
Sudev Barar

Old 11-21-2007, 01:03 AM
Hal Vaughan

On Tuesday 20 November 2007, you wrote:
> On 21/11/2007, Hal Vaughan <hal@thresholddigital.com> wrote:
> > I have a default Sarge installation that I had to move to a new
> > network. It had been getting the address through DHCP with no
> > problem. Now, on the new network, it tries to connect to a DHCP
> > server, but there's no connection. I was not able to copy down the
> > messages because the
>
> [SNIP]
>
> > What could keep a Linux system from connecting to or receiving any
> > communications from a DHCP server? Could they be doing something
> > with their server (likely on Windows) that would keep it from
> > acknowledging my Linux computer?
>
> AFAIK at this stage of network handshake nothing is likely to stop
> communication between the two machines (yours and win server) except
> if the dhcp server is set to allot IP's only to know MAC numbers. So
> that or cable is likely culprit if the settings on you machine are
> set to getting IP from a dhcpd server.
>
> Do post back if things get resolved.

D'oh! (I say that as I smack my own forehead!) The general rule with
me is that the more likely I'll miss it.

Thanks, to both you and Andrew, for reminding me of what I should have
thought of. I'll check over the phone tomorrow with their people. My
only concern is finding the person in their organization with both the
authority and the technical ability to change that kind of setting.

Would that be a setting on their router or on their Windows server? My
guess is it depends on whether my system is behind uses NAT.

I'll definitely post how this is resolved.

Again, thanks!

Hal

Old 11-21-2007, 02:27 AM
Andrei Popescu

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:03:17PM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:

> Would that be a setting on their router or on their Windows server? My
> guess is it depends on whether my system is behind uses NAT.

Whatever they use as the DHCP server. They could also be using some
managed switches and you are in the wrong vlan.

Regards,
Andrei
(Albert Einstein)

Old 11-21-2007, 03:24 AM
Hal Vaughan

On Tuesday 20 November 2007, Andrei Popescu wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 09:03:17PM -0500, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > Would that be a setting on their router or on their Windows server?
> > My guess is it depends on whether my system is behind uses NAT.
>
> Whatever they use as the DHCP server. They could also be using some
> managed switches and you are in the wrong vlan.

That makes it sound like it's going to either be a quick fix because we
can find the network engineer or it'll be a slow, plodding, painful
situation because they contracted it out and can't find the person who
knows what to do.

Okay, here's hoping when I get them on the phone tomorrow, they can find
someone who knows what they're doing ASAP. They can run KInfoCenter
and get the MAC address and add it to their system. If it goes well,
then they can do that without me even having to go back there, then I
can do the rest by ssh.

Thanks!

Hal