Old 10-03-2008, 02:46 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Default exim4 authentication in etch?

I wiped the hard drive, did a clean installation of etch, configured
exim4, put the userassword in /etc/exim4/passwd.client and tried to
send a message. The entry in /var/log/exim4/mainlog showed
authentication required. I had saved a debian users posting from Jan
2006 explaining how to modify the exim4.conf.template adding a line
"hosts_require_auth = outgoing.verizon.net" but the instructions don't
match the current exim4.conf.template file. Does anyone have a current
instruction or reference for the needed modification?

Tom

Old 10-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Chris Davies

Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> I wiped the hard drive, did a clean installation of etch, configured
> exim4, put the userassword in /etc/exim4/passwd.client and tried to
> send a message. [...]

"man exim4_passwd_client" says

The file should contain lines of the form

target.mail.server.example:login-user-nameassword

which will cause exim to use login-user-name and password
when sending messages to a server with the canonical host name
target.mail.server.example.

It goes on to warn that the target must be the rDNS entry for the mail
server and offers suggestions how to get that right. It also warns about
setting the routing correctly (I assume that a smarthost would override
this, for example), but I haven't tried it myself. Yet.

Chris

Old 10-03-2008, 06:10 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Chris Davies wrote:

Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

I wiped the hard drive, did a clean installation of etch, configured
exim4, put the userassword in /etc/exim4/passwd.client and tried to
send a message. [...]

"man exim4_passwd_client" says

The file should contain lines of the form

target.mail.server.example:login-user-nameassword

which will cause exim to use login-user-name and password
when sending messages to a server with the canonical host name
target.mail.server.example.

It goes on to warn that the target must be the rDNS entry for the mail
server and offers suggestions how to get that right. It also warns about
setting the routing correctly (I assume that a smarthost would override
this, for example), but I haven't tried it myself. Yet.

Chris

The line I put in passwd.client is,
"outgoing.verizon.net:my-user-name:my-password", which is my
understanding of the man page instructions. I am attaching the tail of
the mainlog entries which show exim4 obtained an IP address for
outgoing.verizon.net.

Tom
Script started on Fri 03 Oct 2008 01:53:49 PM EDT
Phoenix:/# tail /var/log/exim4/mainlog
2008-10-03 13:36:11 1Klj9a-0000wZ-RU Message is frozen
2008-10-03 13:36:11 1Klke1-0001Da-5d Message is frozen
2008-10-03 13:36:11 1Klj9a-0000wU-As Message is frozen
2008-10-03 13:36:11 End queue run: pid=6216
2008-10-03 13:46:38 1KlojQ-0001e8-8A <= root@tomgeorge.info U=root P=local S=316
2008-10-03 13:46:38 1KlojQ-0001e8-8A ** mail@tomgeorge.info R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<root@tomgeorge.info> SIZE=1348: host outgoing.verizon.net [206.46.232.12]: 550 5.7.1 Authentication Required
2008-10-03 13:46:39 1Klojf-0001eB-0l <= <> R=1KlojQ-0001e8-8A U=Debian-exim P=local S=1264
2008-10-03 13:46:39 1KlojQ-0001e8-8A Completed
2008-10-03 13:46:39 1Klojf-0001eB-0l ** root@tomgeorge.info R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<> SIZE=2319: host outgoing.verizon.net [206.46.232.12]: 550 5.7.1 Authentication Required
2008-10-03 13:46:39 1Klojf-0001eB-0l Frozen (delivery error message)
Phoenix:/# exit

Script done on Fri 03 Oct 2008 01:55:25 PM EDT

Old 10-03-2008, 07:37 PM
Celejar

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 14:10:53 -0400
"Thomas H. George" <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

> Chris Davies wrote:
> > Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> >
> >> I wiped the hard drive, did a clean installation of etch, configured
> >> exim4, put the userassword in /etc/exim4/passwd.client and tried to
> >> send a message. [...]
> >>

> > "man exim4_passwd_client" says
> >
> > The file should contain lines of the form
> >
> > target.mail.server.example:login-user-nameassword
> >
> > which will cause exim to use login-user-name and password
> > when sending messages to a server with the canonical host name
> > target.mail.server.example.
> >
> > It goes on to warn that the target must be the rDNS entry for the mail
> > server and offers suggestions how to get that right. It also warns about
> > setting the routing correctly (I assume that a smarthost would override
> > this, for example), but I haven't tried it myself. Yet.
> >
> > Chris
> >
> The line I put in passwd.client is,
> "outgoing.verizon.net:my-user-name:my-password", which is my
> understanding of the man page instructions. I am attaching the tail of
> the mainlog entries which show exim4 obtained an IP address for
> outgoing.verizon.net.

That looks right, but this can be a pretty tricky business. Basically,
IIUC, exim will refuse to use your authorization credentials if it's
not happy with the server name, in which case it will fail with the
'550 Authentication Required' message that you're seeing. Some
potential problems are discussed in the man page, as you have noted,
but they don't seem to apply here, so apparently something else is
going wrong. A couple of troubleshooting suggestions to possibly track
down the problem:

Try replacing your MX name with a '*'
Try configuring exim to use a different smarthost, e.g. Gmail

> Tom

Celejar

Old 10-03-2008, 08:42 PM
Chris Davies

Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
> The line I put in passwd.client is,
> "outgoing.verizon.net:my-user-name:my-password", which is my
> understanding of the man page instructions.

Yes, that's the correct format. But it's not what you wrote first time.

> 2008-10-03 13:46:38 1KlojQ-0001e8-8A <= root@tomgeorge.info U=root P=local S=316
> 2008-10-03 13:46:38 1KlojQ-0001e8-8A ** mail@tomgeorge.info R=smarthost T=remote_smtp_smarthost: SMTP error from remote mail server after MAIL FROM:<root@tomgeorge.info> SIZE=1348: host outgoing.verizon.net [206.46.232.12]: 550 5.7.1 Authentication Required

Ah. You're using outgoing.verizon.net as your smarthost. (I don't recall
you saying that, either.)

The hostname component is matched to the target address, which most of
the time will probably not be your smarthost. So in order to make this
work you will need to change the hostname to "*" so that the rule applies
to all outgoing email regardless of actual destination.

Chris

Old 10-03-2008, 09:56 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Chris Davies wrote:

[...]

Tried *:my-user-name:my-password with the same result: Authentication
Required.

Poured through the /usr/share/doc/exim4 documentation (also exim4-base
and exim4-config) which insist there is a file exim4-conf-localmacros
which can be set to modify line 1895 .ifndef
AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS in the exim4-conf-template file. I
have done all sorts of searches for exim4-conf-localmacros without
success but there is a directory /etc/exim4/conf.d/auth which contains a
dummy file 00_exim4-config_header and a file 30_exim4-config_examples
duplicating the relevant section of the exim-conf-template file. If
this is what is meant to be a macro I don't know how to use it. I tried
brute force - i.e. changing line 1895 to
AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = true. update-exim4.conf did not
like this.

Tom

Old 10-05-2008, 08:59 AM
Osamu Aoki

Hi,

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 02:10:53PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Chris Davies wrote:
>> Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:
>>
>>> I wiped the hard drive, did a clean installation of etch, configured
>>> exim4, put the userassword in /etc/exim4/passwd.client and tried to
>>> send a message. [...]
>> It goes on to warn that the target must be the rDNS entry for the mail
>> server and offers suggestions how to get that right. It also warns about
>> setting the routing correctly.

Yes.

>> (I assume that a smarthost would override this, for example), but I
>> haven't tried it myself. Yet.

I do not understand what you try to do with smarthost.

The important point is "target must be the rDNS entry"

See http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch07.en.html#theconfigurationofexime

(This is part of new Debian Reference for lenny.
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianReference)

> The line I put in passwd.client is,
> "outgoing.verizon.net:my-user-name:my-password", which is my
> understanding of the man page instructions. I am attaching the tail of
> the mainlog entries which show exim4 obtained an IP address for
> outgoing.verizon.net.

The host name in /etc/exim4/passwd.client should not be the alias. You
check the real host name with:

$ host outgoing.verizon.net

Then you know what to do.

cheers,

osamu

Old 10-05-2008, 12:45 PM
"P. Lane"

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 05:56:35PM -0400, Thomas H. George wrote:
> Tried *:my-user-name:my-password with the same result: Authentication
> Required.
>
> Poured through the /usr/share/doc/exim4 documentation (also exim4-base
> and exim4-config) which insist there is a file exim4-conf-localmacros
> which can be set to modify line 1895 .ifndef
> AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS in the exim4-conf-template file. I
> have done all sorts of searches for exim4-conf-localmacros without
> success but there is a directory /etc/exim4/conf.d/auth which contains a
> dummy file 00_exim4-config_header and a file 30_exim4-config_examples
> duplicating the relevant section of the exim-conf-template file. If
> this is what is meant to be a macro I don't know how to use it. I tried
> brute force - i.e. changing line 1895 to
> AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = true. update-exim4.conf did not
> like this.
>
> Tom
Hello, I went through this also as I have Verizon as outgoing smarthost.
If you are using the single config file option for creating your template
you will have to create the "exim4.conf.localmacros" file with the line
AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = true
Save it to the /etc/exim4 directory with root permissions and then run
update-exim4.conf.

--
Paul Lane |Debian-Etch "Like a Rock"
KC9EYE |GNU/Linux 2.6.18-6-486
|Mutt 1.5.13 (2006-08-11)
Amateur Radio and Linux "like" Peas and Carrots
http://www.qsl.net/kc9eye

Old 10-05-2008, 02:15 PM
"Thomas H. George"

Chris Davies wrote:

Thomas H. George <lists@tomgeorge.info> wrote:

I wiped the hard drive, did a clean installation of etch, configured
exim4, put the userassword in /etc/exim4/passwd.client and tried to
send a message. [...]

It goes on to warn that the target must be the rDNS entry for the mail
server and offers suggestions how to get that right. It also warns about
setting the routing correctly.

Yes.

(I assume that a smarthost would override this, for example), but I
haven't tried it myself. Yet.

I do not understand what you try to do with smarthost.

The important point is "target must be the rDNS entry"

See http://people.debian.org/~osamu/pub/getwiki/html/ch07.en.html#theconfigurationofexime

Thank you for this reference. I believe it confirms what I believe to
be the problem, namely verizon must require "|MAIN_TLS_ENABLE = true|"
and "|AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS=yes|" The question is how to
modify the exim4.conf.template file. Note that my system is Etch and
that the Debian installation of exim4 does not include -or at least I
cannot find - exim4.conf.localmacros. I will try again editing
exim4.conf.template.

(This is part of new Debian Reference for lenny.
http://wiki.debian.org/DebianReference)

The line I put in passwd.client is,
"outgoing.verizon.net:my-user-name:my-password", which is my
understanding of the man page instructions. I am attaching the tail of
the mainlog entries which show exim4 obtained an IP address for
outgoing.verizon.net.

The host name in /etc/exim4/passwd.client should not be the alias. You
check the real host name with:

$ host outgoing.verizon.net

$ host outgoing.verizon.net
outgoing.verizon.net has address 206.45.232.12

There is no indication of an alias.

Tom

Old 10-05-2008, 04:58 PM
"Thomas H. George"

P. Lane wrote:

[...]

This sounds right to me but I haven't got it to work. I created the
file exim4.conf.localmacros with root:root ownership and xrw permissions
containing just the line

AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS = true

and ran update-exim4.conf. I expected it to modify the two lines in
exim4.conf.template which read

.ifndef AUTH_CLIENT_ALLOW_NOTLS_PASSWORDS

but they are unchanged and when trying to send mail with exim4 I still get authentication required.

Tom