FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Debian > Debian User

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 10-03-2008, 06:52 AM
Pol
 
Default my system packages list

I would like to install on a new station the same applications currently
installed on my laptop.
Any hints to run a script?

Thank you
--
Pol


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-03-2008, 07:59 AM
"Raphael Bossek"
 
Default my system packages list

Hi Pol,

get the list of packages and save the result into a file of your
choice (here dselect-list)
# dpkg --get-selections > dselect-list

Transfer the file to your laptop and run
# cat dselect-list | dpkg --set-selections
# apt-get dselect-upgrade

Raphael

2008/10/3 Pol <linux_milano@yahoo.it>:
> I would like to install on a new station the same applications currently
> installed on my laptop.
> Any hints to run a script?
>
> Thank you
> --
> Pol


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-03-2008, 08:16 AM
François Cerbelle
 
Default my system packages list

Le Ven 3 octobre 2008 08:52, Pol a écrit :
> I would like to install on a new station the same applications currently
installed on my laptop.
> Any hints to run a script?

Hi Pol,

You can use "dpkg --get-selections > packages.lst" to get the installed
packages and "dpkg --set-selections < packages.lst && apt-get update &&
apt-get dselect-upgrade" to install the same package list...

But :
1 - check the command and Options, I did not use it for a long time and it
might have changed ;
2 - you will loose the benefit of aptitude (the flag "auto installed") on
you new install
3 - Do not forget to use the same sources in the /etc/apt/sources.list

Have a nice day

Fanfan
--
http://www.cerbelle.net - http://www.afdm-idf.org



Fanfan
--
http://www.cerbelle.net - http://www.afdm-idf.org


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Rob McBroom
 
Default my system packages list

On 2008-Oct-3, at 2:52 AM, Pol wrote:

I would like to install on a new station the same applications
currently

installed on my laptop.
Any hints to run a script?


Assuming all of the applications were installed using apt/aptitude…

I have a script that periodically dumps a list of packages and the
answers I gave to `debconf` when the package was installed.
Theoretically, this can be used to restore the packages *and their
configuration* to another system (or to rebuild the current system). I
haven't ever needed to do the restore part, so I can't promise this
works, but I got it from official Debian docs, so it's probably legit.


#!/bin/tcsh -f

# Keep a list of packages installed/removed on a Debian system
#
# This list can be used to restore a system or set up an
identical system.


# location for output
set DPKGBACKUP="/root"

/usr/bin/dpkg --get-selections '*' > $DPKGBACKUP/dpkgselections.txt
/usr/bin/debconf-get-selections > $DPKGBACKUP/debconfsel.txt

# To restore…
# dselect update
# debconf-set-selections < debconfsel.txt
# dpkg --set-selections < dpkgselections.txt
# apt-get -u dselect-upgrade # or dselect install

--
Rob McBroom
<http://www.skurfer.com/>


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 
Old 10-04-2008, 11:06 AM
Florian Kulzer
 
Default my system packages list

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 10:16:01 +0200, François Cerbelle wrote:
> Le Ven 3 octobre 2008 08:52, Pol a écrit :
> > I would like to install on a new station the same applications currently
> installed on my laptop.
> > Any hints to run a script?
>
> Hi Pol,
>
> You can use "dpkg --get-selections > packages.lst" to get the installed
> packages and "dpkg --set-selections < packages.lst && apt-get update &&
> apt-get dselect-upgrade" to install the same package list...
>
> But :
> 1 - check the command and Options, I did not use it for a long time and it
> might have changed ;
> 2 - you will loose the benefit of aptitude (the flag "auto installed") on
> you new install

You can save the list of automatically installed packages on the old
system:

aptitude -F '%p' search '~M' > auto-packages.txt

Then this should work on the new system:

aptitude markauto $(cat auto-packages.txt)

> 3 - Do not forget to use the same sources in the /etc/apt/sources.list

--
Regards, | http://users.icfo.es/Florian.Kulzer
Florian |


--
To UNSUBSCRIBE, email to debian-user-REQUEST@lists.debian.org
with a subject of "unsubscribe". Trouble? Contact listmaster@lists.debian.org
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 10:07 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright ©2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org