Old 12-11-2007, 11:05 AM
John Talbut

Default Debian on PCs

Does anyone know if there is a web site with a repository of users' experiences
of running Debian or GNU/Linux on PCs, similar to the www.linux-laptop.net site?

It would certainly have helped me to install Debian on some PCs if I could have
had a sight of .config, xorg.conf and driver information from others who had
experience with the same machines. And I could pass on my experiences.

John

Old 12-11-2007, 02:15 PM
Ron Johnson

Old 12-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Jonathan Kaye

John Talbut wrote:

> Does anyone know if there is a web site with a repository of users'
> experiences of running Debian or GNU/Linux on PCs, similar to the
> www.linux-laptop.net site?
>
> It would certainly have helped me to install Debian on some PCs if I could
> have had a sight of .config, xorg.conf and driver information from others
> who had
> experience with the same machines. And I could pass on my experiences.
>
> John
Hi John,
Maybe this isn't exactly what you're asking but a substitute for it. You can
try a live CD that you can download and burn on any platform. I
particularly recommend Knoppix. Just stick the live CD in the drive and
boot up. You can then investigate all settings (xorg, etc.) at your
leisure. If Knoppix is happy with your pc then it's a pretty good bet that
Debian will be also.
Cheers,
Jonathan

Old 12-11-2007, 05:41 PM
John Talbut

Ron Johnson wrote:

> On 12/11/07 06:05, John Talbut wrote:
>
>> Does anyone know if there is a web site with a repository of users'
>> experiences of running Debian or GNU/Linux on PCs, similar to the
>> www.linux-laptop.netsite?
>
>> It would certainly have helped me to install Debian on some PCs if I
>> could have had a sight of .config, xorg.conf and driver information from
>> others who had experience with the same machines. And I could pass on
>> my experiences.

The snotty answer is http://lists.debian.org/users.html but what you
probably want is something like these:

http://www.debian-administration.org/
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/debian-26/

> - --
> Ron Johnson, Jr.
> Jefferson LA USA

Interesting sites but not what I am looking for, they have nothing like:

http://www.linux-laptop.net/

I have solved my problems - about 2 years to become MS free on a Dell Dimension
4100 followed by about 2 months for a Dimension p133v, 2 weeks for a HP nx9105
and about 3 days for each for a F-S Scenic eD and a GeForce6100SM-M based
machine. It saved a fair bit of time with the nx9105 to be able to get a
.config from Linux on Laptops.

So I would pass the information on if there was a suitable repository (not just
post it somewhere on a mailing list). I do have a memory of seeing a list
somewhere of machines that Debian had been used on, but I have not been able to
find it.

--
John Talbut

----

Use Open Source Software:
http://why.openoffice.org/
http://www.mozilla-europe.org/en/products/
Why pay Microsoft when you can get excellent software free?

Old 12-14-2007, 01:44 PM
John Talbut

And then one gets started!
http://wiki.debian.org/InstallingDebianOn