Old 10-03-2008, 03:32 AM
J.H.Kim

Default Setup problem with Old sony vaio PCG-Z505SX notebook

Hi, everyone
I'm trying to install debian to old sony vaio PCG-Z505SX notebook which has no bootable cd-rom drive.
So, I'm installing debian with USB floppy drive.
When I setup debian using installing diskette, it displays following messages in setup procedures:

Floppy drive(s) : fd0 is unknown type 12 (usb?), fd1 is 2.88M AMI BIOS
floppy0 : no floppy controlllers found

Cannot load floppy module
Giving up!
/init: 44: sleep : not found
Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init !

How can I install debian in vaio PCG-Z505SX using usb floppy drive ?

Thanks in advance.

Old 10-03-2008, 11:28 PM
Andrew Reid

On Thursday 02 October 2008 23:32, J.H.Kim wrote:
> Hi, everyone
> I'm trying to install debian to old sony vaio PCG-Z505SX notebook which has
> no bootable cd-rom drive.
> So, I'm installing debian with USB floppy drive.
> When I setup debian using installing diskette, it displays following
> messages in setup procedures:

[edited]

This probably isn't what you want to hear, but I recently
installed Debian "etch" on a PCG-R505TS, which is similar, and I
couldn't get any of the bootable devices to work.

What I eventually did was pulled the hard drive out of it, and
installed a basic system onto it through a USB-to-IDE adapter
off another computer using debootstrap.

So, I don't know how to solve your problem, but there's a
workaround for you.

-- A.
--
Andrew Reid / reidac@bellatlantic.net